Cpu,mobo,ram

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
Yeah
GPU is much more important than CPU for gaming. Very few games are CPU intensive.

Ya thats true...the main reason behind this upgrade is coz somehow all the latest games like fifa11,Medal of honour, COD-black ops are lagging on my current config, and when i checked pc stats...it shows cpu usage 100%, so my cpu is a bottleneck here. Thats the reason m stressing more on cpu power, thats all.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Don't worry!i5 760 would be a beast as compared to your C2D E4500.Oh and I think its supposed to be 4500 not 45000 as you have mentioned in your sig!!

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
Don't worry!i5 760 would be a beast as compared to your C2D E4500.Oh and I think its supposed to be 4500 not 45000 as you have mentioned in your sig!!

ya it should be 4500:)). But seriously if u were in my place what would u opt for i5 760 or i7 950? I mean i want the best of the best which can sustain atleast upto next 4-5 yrs.

ssb1551

Technomancer
I would go for a damn good GPU with i5 cause the money you save by not going for i7+compatible MoBo could be invested in for a better GPU.Even an i3 would sustain for 4 years!It all depends on for what purpose are you gonna use your PC.Since its gaming for you GPU is of prime importance n CPU comes after it.
Anyways cutting to the chase,I would go for i5 760!

ssb1551

Technomancer
:hyper:..I dunno buddy!!Even I wanna sell my old CPU!Inquire in the shops at your place if anyone is ready to buy a 2nd hand system since you got all the old components working.
Or you can also open a thread in the "Bazaar" section of TDF.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@abhi:cooler is nothing is but fan...& every cpu comes with stock fan....
people use external cooler bcoz it gives good rpm & cooling....

if u couldnt sell ur old components then add them 2 ur hardware musuem.....

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
ya it should be 4500:)). But seriously if u were in my place what would u opt for i5 760 or i7 950? I mean i want the best of the best which can sustain atleast upto next 4-5 yrs.

i'm in the same situation..but after months of head banging i can tell u that i5 760 is a rock solid performer..very good in gaming(not the best as that would be the i7 950 and above)..and a cool overclocker too..
Also gpu has the upperhand in gaming than cpu..
Another thing, these aftermarket coolers that you were asking abt have better heat sinks and coolers than stock one's..the stock are just meant for normal usage..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
but many of them suggested that i7 is not useful for gaming as hyper threading is not required for games.

nothing like "not useful". not much of an advantage over i5 7*0.

Yeah
GPU is much more important than CPU for gaming. Very few games are CPU intensive.

a good balance between CPU & GPU should be there. else ppls will buy Intel Atom + HD5970.

:hyper:..I dunno buddy!!Even I wanna sell my old CPU!Inquire in the shops at your place if anyone is ready to buy a 2nd hand system since you got all the old components working.
Or you can also open a thread in the "Bazaar" section of TDF.

ask some local cafe if they deal in used PCs.

Zangetsu

@Ishu Gupta: Sam knows dat GPU is more important....but CPU shud be in synchronise with GPU......i.e balance....& not overhead to GPU.....

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^WAT!!!"not overhead to GPU"!:confused:..
Even Ishu knows that CPU shouldn't be utter crap!!The discussion(or rather the statement by Ishu) was contextual i.e in this case i5 & i7.It wasn't a generic statement.
So please get off his back!!
PEACE!!

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Yes karan, I know sam knows that. It was meant for the OP who was a little confused betwen the two choices.

Thanks ssb, appreciated.

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
Guys relax....the only concern is currently my cpu is a bottleneck and i don't want cpu to be a bottleneck in future...thats why i was stressing more on i7 as its more powerful than i5...thats all.
Also the new series of processors which are going to be released next year are gonna be monsters in terms of performance and also will have an on-board GPU which can play games like Batman - AA and Dragon age origins at low settings without any problems. So i wanted to get something which wouldn't be out of league for the next 4-5 yrs(i know thats a lot to ask):wink:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Even if games start using 4 cores, i5 will be as good as i7 clock to clock.
After 4-5 years i5 and i7 will be crap :lol:

ssb1551

Technomancer
We don't know whether the yet-to-be-launched processors will be monsters or not,so it wouldn't be correct to have such assumptions.I mean i7 9xx itself is a monster!!
Technology changes buddy,sometimes soon & sometimes it takes time.I mean who knows what will happen 4-5 years down the line.For all we know AMD might come up with something good which would have the potential to beat current i7's.Who knows?But as of now i5 won't be outta any league!Its a rock solid performer!So don't be on pins & needles & go for i5.

Zangetsu

Even if games start using 4 cores, i5 will be as good as i7 clock to clock.
After 4-5 years i5 and i7 will be crap :lol:

Yes..y 2 worry abt if corei5 or i7...will be future proof or not for next 4-5yrs.....
remember moore's law....
but core-i5 or i7 will run all games......for the next 4~5yrs......

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
guys check out this if u haven't.

Well first i need to sell my old components and add up the money that i get from it to get the desired core i5 760/i7 950(still in dilema :?)

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Sandy bridge is a different breed..
Btw look at all the spec of the new proccy..they all have 6mb L3 cache..as compared to 8 of i5 760(more memory in the L3 cache means better performance)..m nt saying the i5 760 will be better than SB..but if u go with it now u can rest assure that it will take u smoothly for a few years or more..
Regarding the i5 vs i7..if u have around 10k extra go for i7..but if not 760 performs quite close to 950..

Top Bottom