Cpu,mobo,ram

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey then why 920 is costlier than 950?
[from *www.theitdepot.com]
i7 920 - Rs.16160.00
i7 950 - Rs.15730.00
Hardly anything to "worry" about imo. We are techies, not economists.

When you are getting a better thing for a cheaper price? why worry? :) Core i7-920 was the first Core i7 launched and has been discontinued. May be the dealer is just trying to clear his stock.

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
Hardly anything to "worry" about imo. We are techies, not economists.

When you are getting a better thing for a cheaper price? why worry? :) Core i7-920 was the first Core i7 launched and has been discontinued. May be the dealer is just trying to clear his stock.

what would u suggest...is it worth going for i7 950/920 or i5 760? which one is vfm? Also are there no mobos for i7 till 10k and vfm?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can extend your budget to 35k, then i7-950 is a monster. :p But anyways, your GPU HD 5770 would be kind of bottle-necking* it in games as it deserves something stronger imho.

Else, only Core i5-760 fits into your budget. So, Core i5-760 gets my vote

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^:+1: with ico.If you can bump up your budget by 10k then then go for i7 950,which like ico said is a "monster", otherwise i5 760.

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
If you can extend your budget to 35k, then i7-950 is a monster. :p But anyways, your GPU HD 5770 would be kind of bottle-necking* it in games as it deserves something stronger imho.

Else, only Core i5-760 fits into your budget. So, Core i5-760 gets my vote

So HD5770 will really be bottleneck...as in what sense???
Also why 35k...i7950 is just 5k more than i5 760 right??

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
It won't be a bottleneck really. I meant it in a light sense. This is why I used the asterisk. What I meant was, when you go for an i7, people generally prefer to have everything top notch.

X58 chipset motherboards for Core i7-9xx (Socket LGA1366) are again 13-15k. And then with i7, you go for 3*2GB DDR3 RAM (tri channel). So, another 1.5k more.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^you need to spend 13k atleast for a good x58 mobo!
HD5770 will not be a sort of bottleneck but you wont notice much difference with 760 and 950.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
If you really want i7, get i7 870 @ 14.5k.
It will give you HT / 8 threads. And would not need a x58 and tri ram.

Useless for games but helpful for encoding.

Intel i7 870 @ 14.5
MSI P55 GD65 @ 8
Corsair / GSkill 4GB DDR3 1600MHz @ 4
TOTAL 26.5

Intel i5 760 @ 10
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P @ 11.5
Corsair / GSkill 4GB DDR3 1600MHz @ 4
TOTAL 25.5k

Last edited:
OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
woaah 35k!!!!!!!!! well hv to save up some to reach that budget....then i guess i shall go with core i5 760.what say??

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Gud choice..
As far as future proofing is concerned i5 760 is a very good cpu..
People still game on c2d..so 760 will last you quite long..no worries..

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
Hey guys thanx for the reply...so foll. will be the config

proc - core i5 760
RAM - GSkill/Corsair 2x2gb 1333MHz

pls suggest a motherboard with 16gb of Ram(min), crossfire, usb 3.0 compatible.

Are there mobo which are compatible with i5 and i7 too??

ssb1551

Technomancer
I think all i5's are LGA 1156 socket & most i7s are LGA 1336 socket.But there are certain i7's which are LGA 1156 socket like i7 860.Thats why MoBos can't be compatible with both i5 & i7.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@abhi:b4 buying keep the budget in mind.....also add the previous expenses with this one....& check whether its exceeding 65~70k or what.....coz if u want 2 spend ur money on hardcore gaming then dnt hesitate 2 spend money on dat.....otherwise its just an entertainment device....

as for ur query...go for i7 proccy for ultimate gaming.....i5 will give u mid-range gaming...i7 for High-End gaming(full eye-candy) but do consider the cooling part(essential)......

but dnt worry...Mid Range gaming will keep u happy....@least @ home....if wanna c ultimate gaming performance....check the live demos of gaming performances u will drop ur jaws when u c it.....its way sky higher than a mid-range.....& they use liquid nitrogen for c00ling.....

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
@abhi:b4 buying keep the budget in mind.....also add the previous expenses with this one....& check whether its exceeding 65~70k or what.....coz if u want 2 spend ur money on hardcore gaming then dnt hesitate 2 spend money on dat.....otherwise its just an entertainment device....

as for ur query...go for i7 proccy for ultimate gaming.....i5 will give u mid-range gaming...i7 for High-End gaming(full eye-candy) but do consider the cooling part(essential)......

but dnt worry...Mid Range gaming will keep u happy....@least @ home....if wanna c ultimate gaming performance....check the live demos of gaming performances u will drop ur jaws when u c it.....its way sky higher than a mid-range.....& they use liquid nitrogen for c00ling.....

but many of them suggested that i7 is not useful for gaming as hyper threading is not required for games.
I wanted to go for i7 but to reach that budget i need to save and find someone who can help me sell my current components.

Also do i7 proccy requires a separate cooler to be installed or it comes with one?

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
Buddy honestly for gaming i5 760 is much more than enough when paired with a good GPU.If you are into CPU intensive tasks like animation,3D rendering,converting,editing a hell lotta videos then go for i7 9xx otherwise i5 760 is good enough for your purpose.

Top Bottom