Cpu coolers for 1155 and 1156 socket ASAp

official

In the zone
hey guys my bro just purchased i72600k and looking for cooling solution...for the same and my i5 750.. so i a good siggestion for cpu coolers...not too pricey though:) thanks in advance

tkin

Back to school!!
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, N620, Noctua U12P SE2, D14, TRUE, mention your budget.

nginx

In the zone
For 2.5k, N620 is the best available but its out of stock everywhere. There's Hyper 212+ for 1.8k, cheap solution but not the best. If you want to upgrade your budget a bit, you have U12P for 3.8k but this one's also out of stock. TRUE 120 Rev.C is actually one of the best coolers around for just 3k but no fans are included and buying 2 good quality fans will set you back by another 1k.

NH-D14 is huge and probably won't fit. Venomous-X, Silver Arrow and IFX-14 are all top of the line coolers costing above 4k and are very hard to find in India.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
imho Cm N520 is not as good as the Hyper 212+..more so with two fans attached to the 212+...

Method of testing

Testing Methodology

To ensure that the results from one review to another are not only reproducible but actually pertinent to this review, the Testing Methodology will be the same throughout all reviews used. If something does change we will be sure to make a special note of it and explain why this change was done and more importantly why it had to be changed or altered.

All CPU Cooling Solutions which do not come with their own fan, a Noctua NF-P12-1300 will be used if it accepts 120mm fans, if it only accepts 92mm a Noctua NF-B9-1600 will be used. Any and all fans are run at their highest speed.

Except where noted all comparison testing was done on an open bench with a constant ambient temperature of 20c. If at any time the room temperature increased or decreased by more than 1°C testing was halted untill the temperature constant was reestablished.

Recorded temps were as reported via CoreTemp's "Temp Log". Average load temps were taken after 15 minutes of running Prime95 “small fft” and are taken directly from CoreTemp’s temperature text file. Excel was used to average the results of all cores. Idle temps were taken 15 minutes after Load testing ceased. Motherboard temperatures were recorded using SpeedFan. All CPU throttling technology was disabled in the BIOS; as was all CPU fan speed control.

Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal paste was used for all coolers during these tests unless otherwise noted. For all non HDT coolers, application of thermal paste was in accordance with TIM manufacturer’s instructions; and while not necessary, the TIM was allowed to cure for 24 hours under moderate to high loads (with periods of low loads) prior to testing.

For all 3 pipe HDT coolers two lines of TIM are applied to the two center metal posts and for all 4 pipe HDTS three (smaller) lines of TIM are applied to the metal posts. With this method it has been found to provide significantly better coverage than the more typical methods.

Results with one fan

*images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/Air_Cooling/212P/i7_38.jpg

With two fans

*images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/Air_Cooling/212P/dualfan.jpg

More here

See??

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
The hyper 212+ is a beast, I would've gotten it only if it didn't gobble up one tube of tim every time I have to reset it, good tims cost a hell lot you know. With normal cooler all you need is a drop.

tkin

Back to school!!
Is it out of stock everywhere?
Kolkata check, smc check, available at some online retailers(mediahome, gadgetz at ebay), but they are selling it @ 3.1K+ shipping(original price is 2.5k), so at 3.3k this starts to look cr@p compared to U12P(3.9k) etc.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I have an Hyper 212. Not the plus. Was a much better version. Wonder why they revised to "+". I used to do 4 Ghz on my e7400 with this cooler. Still sitting in my cupboard. Did not need much TIM too, since it was non HDT.

tkin

Back to school!!
I have an Hyper 212. Not the plus. Was a much better version. Wonder why they revised to "+". I used to do 4 Ghz on my e7400 with this cooler. Still sitting in my cupboard. Did not need much TIM too, since it was non HDT.
HDT is very nice, with dual high speed it competes with the likes of true/noctua etc, your model was replaced by N620(after N520), a worthy successor.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Though for extreme OC, the Noctua and True's still pull ahead. But for the price -- the Hyper series were sheer pleasure. But they loose the sheen real quick. Plating is not that nice.

tkin

Back to school!!
^^
Though for extreme OC, the Noctua and True's still pull ahead. But for the price -- the Hyper series were sheer pleasure. But they loose the sheen real quick. Plating is not that nice.
Hmm I know, but for those who don't want to go extreme and need a cool quiet system 212+ is unbeatable, btw: the prolimatech dual cooler(forgot name) is massive, can it be purchased here?

Last edited:

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
If somebody wants to get a Hyper 212+....buying another 120mm fan to go with it is recommended...adds the extra ooomphh to the OC! ;)

tkin

Back to school!!
If somebody wants to get a Hyper 212+....buying another 120mm fan to go with it is recommended...adds the extra ooomphh to the OC! ;)
Seems blademaster xtraflows are cheaper than ever @ 600/-, looks cool, has LED and better yet is PWM, MD tried to screw us with the Excalibur, damn them.

Top Bottom