corsair 400R USB 3.0 FRONT PANEL OVER CURRENT ERROR

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi guys I recently upgraded my case to corsair 400r as i am in need for long cpu cooler support and i already love the case as it host usb 3.0 as well. But was shocked to see that usb 3.0 connector when connected to my mother board and while booting i get a wired error message over current for usb devices system shutting down.

Kindly help me what could be wrong . I had not touched any specific setting related to USB power or like that. I am sure i connected it correctly. Any one faced like this before.

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
USB DEVICE OVER CURRENT SYSTEM WILL SHUT DOWN IN 15 SECONDS thats all i cant go in bios or any other works it will shut down.

I thought it was first pci usb 3.0 as the new psu may be the issue. But even after removing it shows the same so i removed the front panel connecter and tried the message gone. Now i tried plugging the pci usb 3.0 it works. I am not sure what going on.

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^looks like lots of people having asus board faced this problem,take a look at this it may help you
A8N32-SLI - "USB Over Current Status Detected" - Asus - Motherboards

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
I will sort out this issue tomorrow when i get my cooling fans and controller for completing the rig. I will need to figure out the exact cause .

I will post the pics in the show off section complete one.

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
I checked only front panel if its there no my pc refuse to boot on its absence it works charmingly

Seraf

Right off the assembly line
Check whether any of the pins on the back side of the motherboard are in direct contact with the mounting-plate of the cabinet (the one on which you fix the motherboard). If so try to insulate that and start the system.

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
macho84,As far as i know it is a motherboard chipset problem my friend was facing same problem ask asus for support.

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
If its the case then it should work for the usb 2.0 regular extender. but i get the same over current issue for the same. Though i dont think at the same time both usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 chipset will get not to work. I gone through the corsair support and forum users feels the same issue and found short circuit on the front panel header as the pins inside touches the metal part. I cant find it easliy. I need to open the front pane and need to see if there is a short circuit.

I need a front pane wiring diagram to cross check if it is going to be short circuit in wiring how to confirm the same.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Remove the build from the case and boot it. Then arrange the case in a way you can connect the USB 3.0 and see if it works.

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Its a very tedious process. I was sure its not the board. As the board worked fine with my other case ie usb 2.0 . I will give a try by removing the board. to see if any touch with the mounting.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
2 weeks ago a brand new system doesn't boot up at times and sometimes it does. Assembler removed out and booted but connected back and it didn't. A friend called and all I needed to do was removed the extra brass standoff that was supposed to be used for miniITX/matx.

I always recommend to use all standoffs on the case no matter what. But that extra brass standoff pretty much was a bummer. In any case when all logical flow of troubleshoot is exhausted, this is one of the best things you can do.

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Finally i got the replacement panel after a little bit of struggle and it was working perfectly. MOD please close the thread.

Top Bottom