Convert a XFX 8600GT to XFX 8600GTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
abtom said:
i dont have a floppy drive,how can i create a ms dos boot cd?
Even i didint have a Floppy Drive.But i created USB Boot disk using usb pen drive and booted from USB and volt moded it.Works Great..!

Buzz2112

Right off the assembly line
in regards to flashing the card will it give you a error message before you flash the bios and is that acceptable, cause I tried to flash it and it gave me an error message so I decided not to and find out if this is standard

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ flash with the following parameters:
nvflash -4 -5 -6 X.ROM where X is the name of ur bios file.

press 'y' to confirm wherever needed.

u may need to add the -l & -r parameters if ur flashing a non-XFX card with the XFX bios.(applies to all cross vendors flashes).

Buzz2112

^^^ flash with the following parameters:
nvflash -4 -5 -6 X.ROM where X is the name of ur bios file.

press 'y' to confirm wherever needed.

u may need to add the -l & -r parameters if ur flashing a non-XFX card with the XFX bios.(applies to all cross vendors flashes).

Thanks for the quick response Hellgate gonna try/do it now

OH YA no black screen gonna jump into Arma now and see what my FPS is like, XP is even zipping along
faster.
Very noticeable difference in FPS 10-15 FPS in some areas altogether very nice mod/hack.
Now what about OC'ing it now with Riva Tuner anyone tried that yet?

About molex power connectors...
My card has no power plug it runs right off the PCIx slot power, did XFX release a version with
a plug? and if so does this make a difference in the way the card operates?

Last edited:

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
Nice thread indeed! Ok, need to know few things..
@assasin,
1. what are your 8600GT clocks currently?
2. How much do you score in 3DMark05 and 3DMark06?
3. What are card's idle and load temps while Crysis or other shader intensive games??

And about that, volt mod figure; if i am going to shade the core and clock res. with graphic then how much temps increment, can i expect? And what are clocks after modding? Does they remain same? How much can i push? One more thing, wont the card require more cooling due to increased volts?? And finally, even after Volt Mod, do i require Bios Mod??
Too much ques..ok, i was gettin desperate!! :D

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
And about that, volt mod figure; if i am going to shade the core and clock res. with graphic then how much temps increment, can i expect? And what are clocks after modding? Does they remain same? How much can i push? One more thing, wont the card require more cooling due to increased volts?? And finally, even after Volt Mod, do i require Bios Mod??

cudnt quite gt u.:confused:
Volt mod and the bios mod r 2 separate things.the volt mod ill only inc the vcore and vmem but it wont inc the core,shader & mem clk speeds.so to inc them u hafta do the bios mod.the volt mod wud only allow u to inc the clk speeds more thru the bios mod.
1st try the bios mod and try the volt mod only if u hav any instability issues at the oc'd clk speeds.
just the other day had to flash a XFX 8600GT to lower clk speeds cuz the mobo (Intel 945GCNL) just wont supply enuf pwr to the card thru the pci-e slot.so the system crashed whenever games were executed
same card ran fine on XFX 680i mobo.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
@hellgate,
ohhK !I get it. Volt mode as alone isnt enough. Infact, it is the secondary thing to do. First it is necessary to flash the bios and then increase the volts via Volt mod. Hey, thanks for clearing the confusion bro. :)
Ok, i asked about the clocks and scores of the modded 8600GT! How much is the difference anyway..? Atleast knowing this wouldnt hurt! :p

Nice thread indeed! Ok, need to know few things..
@assasin,
1. what are your 8600GT clocks currently?
2. How much do you score in 3DMark05 and 3DMark06?
3. What are card's idle and load temps while Crysis or other shader intensive games??

poor(evil?) assasin has been banned for cheating utsav by selling him a non working graphics card:|

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
was the non working card his modded 8600GT . .. if yes , this method may not be safe on the long run. what do you guys say ?

Buzz2112

I just modded mine sagargv and everything seems to work just fine.
No artifacting in games, better FPS no excessive heat.
All in all I'm pretty happy with the results, but not for the faint of heart to do.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
was the non working card his modded 8600GT . .. if yes , this method may not be safe on the long run. what do you guys say ?

every mod or oc involves risks of permanent hardware failure even though the risk is pretty low if u know wat ur doing.
but if u dont wanna take the risk then its better not ot venture in this direction.:)

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
Grrr...:x !! Yeah, i was going to say the same line!! How can we trust anything he said?
So, thats the point, he was banned. Look, you see that a 8600GT when overclocked, easily comes up to or takes over the default performance of a 8600GTS. Volt modding a card means that a user is trying to push the voltage flow for Core and memory separately; i.e. More than 1.33V (for Core) and more than 1.7V(for Memory)! These are the voltage values for the reference 8600GT card. IMO PaLiT Sonic model has the best volt values and onboard ovreclocking potential than any other 8600GT card. And now
even if u push the voltages a little bit, there is absolutely no need for BIOS modding. Coz, the maximum values for the Core and Memory already comes with the default bios of the GPU. Like, if u see the max values in Riva Tuner....those are the values that cant be attained with the default voltages. But by pushing the volts more, u can attain them. However, if u still feel that ur card can take more beating and bear the heat generated than u need to introduce higher values into the GPU's BIOS using BIOS-Mod. But, just think, how much risk u are putting ur card into..?? Is that all really worth it?
I am using XFX 8600GT GPU and my clocks are 915/1840 MHz 24x7. My card idles at 55 degrees and during load the temps may go as high as 87 degrees. My card scores 6891 in 3DMark 06 and is able to run Crysis with Very High values in 1024x768 resolution giving an average of 20-25fps! The game scales just good with those frame rates. Beyond 30 and 35 fps, Crysis is surely an eye tr8! But for that, wouldnt i go for a new and better GPU like 8800GTS rather than trying to kill my card with all those risky procedure. I bet, if i am getting that much from infamous XFX 8600GT module, than ppl with brands like EvGa and Palit must have gone much far without any of these mods!! Seriously, u want to mod ur card..?? Go out and get Arctic Silver5 or MX-II thermal paste for ur card and then Play SaFe !! ;)

PeacE...:)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
true .. the 8600 is not worth all that risk .. besdies, i think there's no point in modding my card. .the replacement i got is better but still goes upto 83C on max load . .so wats the point in modding my card ? and i havent got a gr8 cpu , so i dont even know if my cpu is the bottleneck . i got 4009 in 3dmark06. . .i aint a gaming freak . will try crysis now. . i have a 17' CRT so i dont mind running at 800x600. so why should i mod ? i play games only on sundays. . other days just a match in fifa or a race in nfs MW . . .i see no point in modding my card.

rajiv_nair_r

Hi,

I have an XFX 8600gt (the dreaded UDF7 model with heating problems). My card idles at around 58 degrees and goes upto 95 degrees after some moderate gaming such as COD4 .. so unfortunately OC is out of question for me ... Anyways what I wanted to know was .. can I save the original bios using nibitor and use that to flash my bios if anything goes wrong after flashing with overclocked values ????

Also, can I RMA my card with Rashi Peripherals for heating issues ??

Regards,
Rajiv Nair

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
yes , you can get the card RMA'd . When my vendor took my card and went to rashi in b'lore , the 8600GT was out of stock , so they cudnt give immediate replacement . but rashi couriered it and i got the replacement in 4 days(i'm in mysore) . they gave the UAL3 model as replacement.

and get ur card replaced b4 it burns out . try ati tool and i'm sure it will cross 100C just like my old card.

Last edited:

george101

Good Boy
Can anyone tell me how much difference u wil get wen oc bios than using rivatuner????? i want to knw if its worth the risk.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom