Convert a XFX 8600GT to XFX 8600GTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
p_d5010 said:
1>u can save the riva overclocked speeds set to boot every time when windows starts.

i faced prob in games even after i did that.the card wont always oc in games i.e it wont easily exit from its throttling state.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
p_d5010 said:
Update:
Just checked in with my other two friends for temperature, both of them get 80-85 deg. celcius on load and 60-62 on idle.....so maybe the new cards in market today are running at that temperature only maybe.........so i went on and overclocked the card.......and got 85max on load......
other thing, i just noticed that overclocking the core also overclocks the shader clock in riva tuner, as doin 700 core and 850 memory, the shader overclocked to 1566.....so conclusion, not doing bios flashing is beneficial in the following ways:
1>The card doesnt get overclocked when not in use(like no use for overclocking when u use office)
2>Unnecessary rise in temp thus reduces
3>the card core and mem reduces back to stock when the card is idle, thus reducing temps. more!(noticed in riva tuner only)

my 8600GT ( 2 months old ) also idles at 62C and rises upto 87C (max) usually between 80-85C . shall i keep the card or get it replaced ? if others too are getting the same temps , i'll keep it.

p_d5010

Journeyman
^ ^ Yup even i am getting those exact temperatures.........
I also checked two of my friend's cards, one is having 55 idle while other is having 62 idle......
So we are two of them having 62 idle

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
thanks. in other forums also i see many quiries of xfx 8600/8500 having these temps. some of them blame xfx . i'll keep the card . change cabby and add a few fans . can u suggest a power supply for my config . my current one is failing. 12 volt rails become unstable on playing games and pc shuts off. ( i'm busy and i aint playing games , so no probs rite now ) ..cheaper the better . i dont have any particular budget set , i'll have to ask my pop.

OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
if ur ready to spend bout 2k then go for the Zebronics Platinum 500W,cheapest option is a Zebronics 400W with 20A in +12V rail.
if u wanna spend more then go in for a CoolerMaster Extreme Power 500W|600W|650w.it'll help u if u upgrade to a better gfx crd later on.

p_d5010

Journeyman
Update:
Replaced my 8600gt with a new piece,..........
now have 53 idle and 77 on load when o/c to 720core, 864 memory

Ya there are really some faulty cards(like my last one) in the market, all those having it, I suggest you replace it quickly b4 it burns out

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
p_d5010 said:
Update:
Replaced my 8600gt with a new piece,..........
now have 53 idle and 77 on load when o/c to 720core, 864 memory

Ya there are really some faulty cards(like my last one) in the market, all those having it, I suggest you replace it quickly b4 it burns out

thanks a lot for the post and pm . this will help a lot of guys . i'll inform those i know . i'll come back with new temps . plz give suggestions as i have had this card for 2+1/2 months and had OCed it for a few minutes in the first week after buying the card (will i be asked awkward quesitons ? ). i hope there wont be issues in replacing it.
thanks again

p_d5010

Journeyman
sagargv said:
thanks a lot for the post and pm . this will help a lot of guys . i'll inform those i know . i'll come back with new temps . plz give suggestions as i have had this card for 2+1/2 months and had OCed it for a few minutes in the first week after buying the card (will i be asked awkward quesitons ? ). i hope there wont be issues in replacing it.
thanks again

I will tell my experience, the service center people were unwilling to replace the card. They kept the card for one day and said the card is not heating and 61 deg. celcius temperature was ok. They also tried to convince me by giving very bad reasons like smps of 550W required for 8600gt!(ya u can burst to laugh on that), motherboard problem or processor problem..............in short they were telling that the card was fine but my PC was the main problem........after 2-3 days of continuous convincing, I lost my temper and engaged with a big quarrel with them. Btw, as i had not paid money to my dealer, I said that I wont be paying the money for the card until its replaced. That changed the mind of salesman and I got a new card in just 10minutes :).
About overclocking, i dont think so they will ask u anything, just if u have done bios overclock, flash the original b4 returning the card.
Wish u best luck!

assasin said:
^^^ did u like the card's performance??at wat setting r u able to play the games at?
Franly speaking, I am very happy opting for this card after x1600pro, it gives about triple the performance of x1600pro.....card is now stable and dont even touch 80 deg on overclocking( my previous 8600gt went to 87 on overclock!)

But, I think the performance of this card was less than what i expected......and today I got so depressed when I tried to run PT BOATS DX10 benchmark, it gave just 11.8fps on high at 1024 res.......in medium the detail looses, and no DX10 feature can be noticed.........so the thing that it cant handle dx10 games is really a diappointment........I expected to run atleast the JUST released dx10 titles on high .......
Final thoughts, this card is ok for dx9 games in mainstream, but any dx10 title would be a dissapointment

Last edited:

quadroplex780

Maximum Fame
assasin said:
^^^ keep the card.load temps of 80-85c wont cuz any harm.
Here are my temps for XFX 8800 GTS 640 MB.
Idle-XP 51C,Vista 54C
Loaf-XP 64C,Vista 64C
And yes I am not kidding I am getting these temps after I did some changes to my cabinet and got cables out of the airflow way.
My Core 2 Duo E6600 is overclocked to 3.001Ghz and remains at 34C core idle and 56 core load on orthos running for 30 mins with stock cooloing and yes I know its hard to believe but its true I am currently waiting for my Ultra 120 extereme to arrive ordered it from prime,And about the temps of 80-85C I think they are fryingly hot considering that its an 8600 and the threshold being 110C.

great thread guyz.
can i mod my 8600 GTS to 8800 something?
but the moding process would consume ram or ther resources for transformation.will it?

OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
abtom said:
can i mod my 8600 GTS to 8800 something

its not possible to do that.

cuz if it was possible then i wudnt hav sold my 8600GT and got a 8800GTS 320MB

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
i cant find that zebby smps u told . i can find only a zebby model with 17A on 12 volt. cost is 425 . will that be enough ?

napster007

Padawan
Harvik780 said:
I guess the 8800GTX can be also modded to an 8800ultra by this method as they both have the same number of pipelines oops Stream processors.

No way dude, the clock speeds of an 8800 ultra can never be achieved by an 8800gtx. thanks to its super solid state capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom