Connecting to the Internet running on a Linux live CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
I want to connect to the net when I'm booted into a live CD of Ubuntu. Is there any way to do so? I'm using version 8.04 BTW. I'm planning to try installing it using VirtualBox.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
^^Well, I haven't set up an internet connection in Linux before.

If you have somethign that connects to the Ethernet port (broadband). Just turn on the computer and you should already be connected if the router is already set up right. If you have a dial up connection which connects to a COM port (external modem) then that too works after you configure a connection). Check out the thread above it might help you with more details.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Use a browser to access the router interface. To access my router in Linux/ Window sor whatever I would open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 . How did you do it in Windows ? First of all how about giving some details on HOW you get on the internet. Are you using a router which connnects to the USB or eth0 port?

If your router worked in Windows then there should not be anything needed for a connection to work if you are ok with the connection being on ocne you boot your system. Did you check the thread on Configuring your Linux box for Internet access ?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I want to connect to the net when I'm booted into a live CD of Ubuntu. Is there any way to do so? I'm using version 8.04 BTW. I'm planning to try installing it using VirtualBox.

Your post is very confusing :)

If you are going to run Ubuntu on VirtualBox in Windows there is nothing to ask. Just install it and the internet will be setup automatically.

If you want to boot your PC using the live CD, then it depends on what type of broadband connection you have (assuming you have a broadband connection??).
  1. If you dial into your connection manually in Windows, everytime you want to connect to the internet, then in Ubuntu live CD Desktop

Press Alt and F2

Type
    pppoeconf
    and press ENTER
    and run through the wizard
  2. If your internet connection is always on, then there is nothing to do, boot with the live CD and browse

OP
C

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
BTW, sorry but I should've asked my question in a better way. My router connects through the ethernet port, and I've got to manually dial a connection every time. It isn't an always on connection. And I'd already tried navigating to the router configuration page through the browser, but I didn't get the page at all.

@NucleusKore- Well, you see, I'll create a virtual Linux machine using VirtualBox, but I don't have the time for that right now, so I wanted to know if I could surf the net through a live CD of Linux. :)
I want to dump my pirated copy of XP, but it's not possible right now. :-(
I've dumped all pirated software though, and use only FOSS. :)

I'll try NucleusKore's suggestion BTW.

Rahim

Married!
^Good going beta_testing for shunning ahem version and embracing FOSS (i might sound like praka123 :)) )

OP
C

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
@NucleusKore- I did it but nothing came up. The disk kept spinning, but nothing came up :(

And hey, I'm not dumping my pirated XP anytime soon. I'll install Ubuntu once I get a new HDD and I'll try to do as much as possible with Linux, but I'll have to keep XP for playing a game or two.

@NucleusKore- I did it but nothing came up. The disk kept spinning, but nothing came up :(

And hey, I'm not dumping my pirated XP anytime soon. I'll install Ubuntu once I get a new HDD and I'll try to do as much as possible with Linux, but I'll have to keep XP for playing a game or two.
What do you mean?
You did type it the terminal right?
Check out these instructions (and confirm with us too)
*www.techotopia.com/index.php/Connecting_an_Ubuntu_Linux_System_to_a_DSL_Modem

OP
C

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Yay!!! I'm posting this in Linux right now. I used pppoeconf to set up the connection. It was damn easy. In fact, it's easier than setting up a connection in Windows. :)
Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom