Connecting to Internet from Suse

Status
Not open for further replies.

udhaya

Right off the assembly line
hii
i'm new to linux.I've Suse linux installed on my machine along with Windows XP. I would like to shift to linux but I don't know how to and what settings to configure on Suse to connect using Dataone broadband.My modem is connected via a USB port.Please someone help me...give me a step-by-step detail ..... the modem is SmartAX MT882

praka123

left this forum longback
if u have a LAN Card,chances of connecting to internet success will be more.otherwise,your modem(usb?),needs to be detected by Linux.that U can know by checking
Code:
[root@localhost ~]# lspci
.In Linux rp-pppoe client is used for aDSL connection.which can be configured using the step-by-step
Code:
[root@localhost ~]# adsl-setup [or] pppoe-setup

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
He is asking for Suse. I guess adsl-start doesn't work for Suse. You have to use yast.

Anyways, I have a question for Prakash Kerala Sir

Sir I have configured BSNL dataone Broad-Band in Linux using adsl-start through lancard.

Now I configure it through USB. My modem through usb gets detected. Please Help me.

adsl-start doesn't work for USB or what?

praka123

left this forum longback
If your modem is detected properly,then i think you can configure dataone using adsl-setup or pppoeconf or whatever rp-pppoe command..there are resources available in web for such configuration,google for it...nyways which distro are U using

OP
U

udhaya

This is the output I obtained on typing lspci :-

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82850 850 (Tehama) Chipset Host Bridge (M CH) (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82850 850 (Tehama) Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 04)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 (rev 04)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB (Hub #1) (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus (rev 04)
00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB (Hub #2) (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11DDR [GeForce2 MX 100 D DR/200 DDR] (rev b2)
02:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)
02:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You have a Lan card then why are you using USB? It can be connected via LAN card. Check desertwind's post here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21171.

OP
U

udhaya

I've configured the modem..but now I don't know how to connect to the internet.I tried using Kinternet but all I get is a small lightning flash which after sometime disappears...When I type any url in firefox I simply get the error that the page could not be found..
What should I do???

praka123

left this forum longback
you can use "pon ppp0" to start your connxn.also make sure your LAN card is working...check for "ppp0" and "eth0" displayed by issuing
Code:
 #ifconfig
then again try...if it doesnt connect,try as root in a terminal
Code:
route add default ppp0
:eek:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Forget it, USB port and MT882 wont help you at all... Personal Experience... Get a LAN card for 100-200 bucks and do it in seconds...

OP
U

udhaya

It's not working...When I try pon I received an error saying the command was not found...
The following is the output I get for ifconfig:
#ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:E8:5A:5C:1E
inet6 addr: fe80::200:e8ff:fe5a:5c1e/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:8 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:6868 (6.7 Kb)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0xdf80

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:160 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:160 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:11714 (11.4 Kb) TX bytes:11714 (11.4 Kb)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I am repeating for your good, its not possible yet. I have searched over 3 engines for hours and hours too, you just cant config it unless you degrade to RH 7

praka123

left this forum longback
@QwertyManiac:His LAN Card is detected and shown in ifconfig...why U r making him Confused?
@Udhaya:
Make sure you have rp-pppoe client .rpm installed...
I dont use SuSE,anyways U can configure Ur connxn for sure with Yast....You should be root user while trying those commands..
I saw below link ,thought useful for U:
*www.reallylinux.com/docs/dslandlinuxs.shtml
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=185628
*lenz.homelinux.org/RPMs/
I dont know the correct command but it will be something like pppoe-setup or adsl-setup for config or Yast!

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Ok, fine, am outta this. Lemme tell you final words...

In System > Admin > Network, it showed an LAN card in eth0 for me too, I thot I was finally lucky, but when I tried to configure it, it was just a dummy in which no options took effect... and if you think he can use pppoe dialer then y doesnt 192.168.1.1 open in his browser? If there was a way wouldnt one month of searching have found that? Go ahead, find a way and tell me when you do ;) I'll be really greatful.. and btw - whatever you have mentioned so far, I have already tried them all before. Nothing at all...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Mine was the same... =\ it was detected, available for config etc, but didnt work... its coz the distro detects some network device connected but doesnt install it properly coz its unknow to it...

mehulved

QwertyManiac said:
Mine was the same... =\ it was detected, available for config etc, but didnt work... its coz the distro detects some network device connected but doesnt install it properly coz its unknow to it...
What do you mean by it? Lan card?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah it detected my USB modem as a LAN card. But it couldnt be configured, through DHCP or Static configs... that was what prompted me to search for some way and ended up finding none...

mehulved

QwertyManiac said:
Yeah it detected my USB modem as a LAN card. But it couldnt be configured, through DHCP or Static configs... that was what prompted me to search for some way and ended up finding none...
But, here in original poster's case. He has a Lan card and it is detected. It is Realtek RTL 8029. So, what we were saying is that you suggesting him to buy a Lan card is wrong cos he already has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom