conected to BSNL Brdbnd in ubuntu 9.04 but downloading is pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed ubuntu 9.04 two days ago... (people suggested it was best to begin with .. i have been using others flavours occasionally in past few months)

got connected to internet via ethernet.

while I was trying to update ubuntu using update manager or download amarok using package manager the download went fine for 20 - 25 seconds at a speed of 30 KB/s then came to a halt (saw using system monitor that there was no network activity) for about 30-40 seconds and this thing kept repeating...

This does not happen when I download something using windows...
and even firefox didn't work when the system monitor (task manager) showed no network activity ...

what I want to know is ... is there a problem with ubuntu or my laptop or BSNL ? and what should I do to resolve it...

should I switch to open solaris?

Nuxer

liNux+usER
Ubuntu's update manager is not faster than Windows update manager. Try download anything other than updates and post your results here.

OP
A

anuvrat_parashar

paralinux
even surfing was interrupted ... pages would open for a short interwal of time (20-30 sec) then for other (30 -40 sec) the browser behaved as if there was no internet connection .. also the system monitor showed no network usage...

Nuxer

liNux+usER
No problem here (Kerala) with BSNL. Ubuntu's update manager is bit slow, but browsing and downloading speed is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom