I have the following configuration:

PHENOM II X4 + GIGABYTE GA 88 GMA UD 2H
Seagate HDD 500GB Sata
DDR-3 CORSAIR x2
HD 6850
BENQ 2220 HD
COOLER MASTER CABINET
COOLER MASTER SMPS 500W

A freezing problem started a few days ago. What happens is when I open 2-3 or multiple tabs in Chrome the computer freezes. I tried using Firefox but the same thing happens. Then I found that it happens with only one tab open in Chrome although it is a bit delayed than using multiple tabs which is like almost instant.

I used Internet Explorer 9 but it did not happen with Explorer at least till now.

To find some relief I did a ccleaner registry cleaner, defrag and several scans with anti-virus. But it still happens.

But like I said it does not freeze with Explorer 9 which I installed yesterday. So I use Explorer only now.

Anyone who knows some solution please let me know I will be grateful. I prefer using Chrome and have a lot of stuff on bookmarks etc. I also have no idea how this problem started because everything was fine till a few days ago. I have also tried System Restore but no relief.Lastly, happens only with browser - I can watch videos, see excel/word files in fact anything else is no problem, only while browsing.

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Did you update your browser recently?
Install an older version and see if the problem still persists.

If not, update your browser to the latest version.

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
Nope did not update at the time freezing started. I did update a couple of days ago to get rid of the problem but no luck.

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
Freezes everything and I have to do a button restart.

What I did now - I have uninstalled Chrome and used iobit unistaller with full scan for leftovers. Then installed latest ver of Chrome. As soon as I started the new Chrome it froze rightaway.

I am typing this after I button restarted my computer, uninstalled the Chrome and opened with Explorer 9. If there seems to be no solution I will never instal Chrome again :-(

So what does Explorer have/ doesnt have that Chrome does/doesnt have because of which it freezes will need to be found out.

Edit - As soon as I started opening multiple tabs in Explorer, it froze again.

So the problem is not just with Chrome and Mozilla but in Explorer also though much delayed because I was able to keep working for many hours in Explorer

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
run this command in start menu/run menu and check

chrome.exe --incognito

Extensions Broke Your Browser? How to Enter 'Safe Mode' in Google Chrome

msn

खिड़की माने Windows
It might be because of some browser add-on.

Try the steps mentioned by RCuber and report back.

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
run this command in start menu/run menu and check

Extensions Broke Your Browser? How to Enter 'Safe Mode' in Google Chrome

When I run the command it shows a file called Chromesetup. As I mentioned I had run iobit uninstaller with their powerful scan for leftover files - so I'm surprised. How should I proceed?

msn

खिड़की माने Windows
@Maxtor - You can launch Chrome using "incognito mode", which disables extensions and allows you to disable the extensions. For this, you already should have the following :-

1. You should have Chrome installed on your PC.

2. You should have a Shortcut for Chrome on your Desktop. If you don't have a shortcut for Chrome, suggest you to create 2 (shortcuts). Rename them as ChromeEX and Chrome

3. Right Click the Shortcut named ChromeEX, go to properties and then click on Target field. You should already see the path.

4. Now append "--incognito" to the end of the command without quotes.

5. Now you have to double click on the edited shortcut to enter into a "Safe Mode"-style Chrome. From here, all you'll need to do is enter "chrome://extensions/" (without the quotes) into the browser's navigation bar to edit the extensions.

If you're unsure which extension broke Chrome's back, simply disable them all and switch back and forth between incognito Chrome(ChromeEX) and regular Chrome(Chrome) until you break it again.

Post back if any issues.

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
@Maxtor - You can launch Chrome using "incognito mode", which disables extensions and allows you to disable the extensions. For this, you already should have the following :-

1. You should have Chrome installed on your PC.

2. You should have a Shortcut for Chrome on your Desktop. If you don't have a shortcut for Chrome, suggest you to create 2 (shortcuts). Rename them as ChromeEX and Chrome

3. Right Click the Shortcut named ChromeEX, go to properties and then click on Target field. You should already see the path.

4. Now append "--incognito" to the end of the command without quotes.

5. Now you have to double click on the edited shortcut to enter into a "Safe Mode"-style Chrome. From here, all you'll need to do is enter "chrome://extensions/" (without the quotes) into the browser's navigation bar to edit the extensions.

If you're unsure which extension broke Chrome's back, simply disable them all and switch back and forth between incognito Chrome(ChromeEX) and regular Chrome(Chrome) until you break it again.

Post back if any issues.

After appending as in pt no 4 I could not Apply/ok so I left the window open and double clicked on Chrome EX. There was one extension that of AVG Safe Search and I diabled it and also deleted it. What next?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
hmm.. try disabling your antivirus for a couple of minutes and open trusted sites and check..

msn

खिड़की माने Windows
I am not sure as to why you were not able to apply / save after appending the --incognito.

This is how the path should read -
C:\Users\Shawn\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --incognito
ie. after chrome.exe give 1 space then --incognito or copy the path above from AppData till incognito and then paste it in the Target box of your ChromeEX shortcut.

Don't copy the entire path because your Username might be different then mine (Shawn).

After appending as in pt no 4 I could not Apply/ok so I left the window open and double clicked on Chrome EX. There was one extension that of AVG Safe Search and I disabled it and also deleted it. What next?

Follow this -

1. If AVG Safe Search is disabled and deleted then close your browser.
2. You will have one more shortcut which reads Chorme (without EX). Double click that and check if the issue occurs.

3. If you are still facing the same issue, restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking (Press F8 while booting to get advanced boot options) and then try opening your browser from shortcut -Chrome (without EX).

Report back here.

Last edited:
OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
I did all of the above except restarting in safe mode with NW but as soon as I started Chrome it froze the computer within 2-3 minutes

Top Bottom