Computer fan making too much noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
A few days ago,all of a sudden, my power supply fan started making a lot of noise, and continues to do so.....initially it didnt make so much. my comp is an amd64 3000+ system that is one month old. Why is this hapening, and any ways to fix it?

Further, where do i get the thermal grease to apply on the processor(i.e. what do i ask for?)? I dont think my vendor applied it while setting up the system. is this really required?

Thanks

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
check if anything is blocking the fan from outside and use a torch to see inside the smps on the other side too . check it out with ur vendors as u dont want a bad smps to ruin ur good new system .

regarding thermal paste . the vendor should've used the one which comes with the amd processor original heat sink itself . if he hasnt ask him to apply it . is the sys temp too high ?? use everest home edition to check exact temp .
regarding other thermal paste . amd has mentioned in its site that using thermal paste other than the one provided will make warranty void so check up on that , sometimes they might keep the warranty valid sometimes might not . if ur going for it , i think artic silver is a good choise , but costs around Rs.400+

OP
T

there_is_no_spoon

Broken In
hi

there doesnt seem to be anything blocking fan from outside.... i have to check it from the inside.

the system temp , as shown by MBM 5 is: cpu temp around 40 generally, peaked around 50 during games then dropped down...to 40-42 max, and case temp around 40. i think this is ok.

i had taken special care for the smps part while buying it--- discarded the one with the cabinet and got a new one with warranty (VIP) which cost me 2k extra!!

now i remember....when i asked the vendor about the the thermal paste, he told something like it is already in the fan or processor--he didnt apply any paste on the processor....dunno...

late followup i know.... but endsems are one hell of a thing!!!! :(

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Be Happy...your temperatures are perfectly alright...
The vendor need not apply therpaste on Present Amd Processor as they already come with better solution ..Its the TGC ( thermal compond) thing ( Not rubber but a far better thermal transfering element than the Stock thermal Grease one can apply )..which is stuck to the Heat Sink that came with the processor..Just remove the sticker and attach the Heatsink to the Processor base on the MB...since your Temps are normal be sure the vendor has installed the Procesor perfectly..
Of the noise in cabinet , use a good vacule cleaner or Dust blower and see the noise go...Do it once every 1 month to get the best from the system

OTHER thing from the topic ....AMD actually doesnt recommend Thermal Grease ( unless its Silver Artic ) ..but suggests to use its own compound.
the reasons why read here
*www.theinquirer.net/?article=9188

Best Luck Pal..

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
What kind of noise exactly ? If it's a rattling noise, it may just be that some screws are loose, either those fixing the fan to the PSU wall or those fixing the PSU to the cabinet. If it's a grating grinding noise, it's probably the fan itself - rather unusual since it's alsmost new, but not unheard of.

If it's the screws, the cure is obvious. If it's the fan itself, you could peel off the sticker and apply a gob of automobile grease to the bearing or you could just replace it - it's cheap enough. Or you could have it replaced under warranty if it has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom