CitiBank Credit Card

Gollum

Collector
Things to remember -
never use your cc in an atm machine - there is heavy surcharge
cc pin either comes along with the card or after a few days automatically - if not call citiphone - number is on your cc
you can ask the bill due date at the citiphone line
never use the auto debit option - it will debit the set amount even if you have paid the bill (this option is enabled by default and you have to disable it online)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
There is a set limit to which you can spend. You will get option to upgrade the limit by mail once you have had good enough credit history.

Do increase the limit if you think later on it might be useful. I wasn't able to buy Lenovo Y500 using citibank CC as my credit limit was 50k. Before that I just never replied to the upgrade limit mails and now wanted that desperately as there was some cashback offer and 0% EMI charge for Y500.

Also, beware of surcharges at mall, petrol pumps etc if they don't have citibank connected machine.

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
Things to remember -
cc pin either comes along with the card or after a few days automatically - if not call citiphone - number is on your cc
never use the auto debit option - it will debit the set amount even if you have paid the bill (this option is enabled by default and you have to disable it online)

For changing PIN in ATM there is no surcharge. And why would you pay the bill if you have set auto debit option. Just set it to pay the entire bill amount on the due date.

Gollum

Collector
For changing PIN in ATM there is no surcharge. And why would you pay the bill if you have set auto debit option. Just set it to pay the entire bill amount on the due date.

its not good if you dont have funds in you account is it?

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
its not good if you dont have funds in you account is it?

Dude you will anyways have to pay the bill. Else it will attract hefty interest. Also your CIBIL score will go South. So keep your account properly funded for the bill :)

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Things to remember -

thanks for the warning on that bolded part.. :)

btw, what if i set the bill payment to Least Payable amount, so as not to attract the interest?? any catches in that??

There is a set limit to which you can spend. You will get option to upgrade the limit by mail once you have had good enough credit history.

Do increase the limit if you think later on it might be useful. I wasn't able to buy Lenovo Y500 using citibank CC as my credit limit was 50k. Before that I just never replied to the upgrade limit mails and now wanted that desperately as there was some cashback offer and 0% EMI charge for Y500.

Also, beware of surcharges at mall, petrol pumps etc if they don't have citibank connected machine.

i got the 50K Credit limit.
and the cash limit is 10K.. how is it useful?? does it mean that i can withdraw upto 10K from an ATM??

btw, explain the last bold line.

PS: i also read in the letter that there are surcharges in purchasing train tickets online using CC. can someone confirm and explain this??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, basically, i am planning to only spend upto 5000 a month through CC. that means i will be able to waive off the 1K card charges each year, and also keep my monthly bill low.
for other payments, im going to try to use my regular debit card.

you people got any suggestions on this kind of usage?? also, do share how you use your CC. do you entirely depend on your CC for all payments? or do you use your DC too?

- - - Updated - - -

Dude you will anyways have to pay the bill. Else it will attract hefty interest. Also your CIBIL score will go South. So keep your account properly funded for the bill :)

Yeah, about the CIBIL score... been hearing a lot about it... how does it help a guy like me??
also, i checked on their site. It takes ~Rs. 450 for the score generation.

so, when should i purchase my CIBIL score??

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
thanks for the warning on that bolded part.. :)

btw, what if i set the bill payment to Least Payable amount, so as not to attract the interest?? any catches in that??

i got the 50K Credit limit.
and the cash limit is 10K.. how is it useful?? does it mean that i can withdraw upto 10K from an ATM??

btw, explain the last bold line.

PS: i also read in the letter that there are surcharges in purchasing train tickets online using CC. can someone confirm and explain this??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, basically, i am planning to only spend upto 5000 a month through CC. that means i will be able to waive off the 1K card charges each year, and also keep my monthly bill low.
for other payments, im going to try to use my regular debit card.

you people got any suggestions on this kind of usage?? also, do share how you use your CC. do you entirely depend on your CC for all payments? or do you use your DC too?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, about the CIBIL score... been hearing a lot about it... how does it help a guy like me??
also, i checked on their site. It takes ~Rs. 450 for the score generation.

so, when should i purchase my CIBIL score??

Unless and until you are willing to take a loan there us no necessity to purchase it. You can purchase it if a loan application or a credit card application gets rejected. Else it is of no use.

Pay your CC bills on time and you would not have to worry about the score.

Don't withdraw cash using your CC unless and until you are absolutely in a tight corner without any other option. It has a higher interest charge and the interest is charged from the moment you withdraw it (no interest free period)

Also if you pay only the minimum amount due the unpaid amount will still attract interest. And any new transaction will not have any interest free period.

The usage of CC and DC depends on you entirely. Its better to rack up reward points in one card as its more beneficial. But I personally avoid using CC where there is a surcharge.

Always keep in mind that CC is a loan from your future self. So plan your purchases accordingly.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
that last line kinda sums it up nicely!! :D

regarding increasing credit limit, does it apply when i regularly pay the bill, no matter the amount[i am planning to take smaller credits on the CC], or only when the credit amount is larger than a certain amount..

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
that last line kinda sums it up nicely!! :D

regarding increasing credit limit, does it apply when i regularly pay the bill, no matter the amount[i am planning to take smaller credits on the CC], or only when the credit amount is larger than a certain amount..

Different companies have different policies and the credit limit also depends on your monthly income. If you pay your bills regularly and spend hefty amount in CC the company may offer you a limit enhancement. You may also apply on your own for increasing the limit. They generally ask for form 16 and some last 3 months salary slips for that.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I spend for anything that doesn't incur surcharge using the Citibank CC. This way I get to increase the reward points.
And then before the due date arrive pay the entire sum of CC bill from main account at once.

Till now haven't used CC to get things on EMI. And I hope I don't need to do it either. :p

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Remember these rules and u will enjoy the CC for a Lifetime with a good CIBIL rating
1) Never Exceed Credit Limit in a billing cycle.
2) Always pay before or on due Date.
3) Never Withdraw Cash from a CC (use Debit instead) bcoz of higher interest rate (only in extreme/urgent conditions u can withdraw)
4) Never Use multiple CC for transactions in fact don't use many CC (2 or 3 CC is more than enough)

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Different companies have different policies and the credit limit also depends on your monthly income. If you pay your bills regularly and spend hefty amount in CC the company may offer you a limit enhancement. You may also apply on your own for increasing the limit. They generally ask for form 16 and some last 3 months salary slips for that.

thanks.. i do plan to increase the ,limit a few months from now, depending on how much i need it.

I spend for anything that doesn't incur surcharge using the Citibank CC. This way I get to increase the reward points.
And then before the due date arrive pay the entire sum of CC bill from main account at once.

Till now haven't used CC to get things on EMI. And I hope I don't need to do it either. :p

have you done transactions on IRCTC through Citibank CC? do you know if charges anything extra?

Remember these rules and u will enjoy the CC for a Lifetime with a good CIBIL rating
1) Never Exceed Credit Limit in a billing cycle.
2) Always pay before or on due Date.
3) Never Withdraw Cash from a CC (use Debit instead) bcoz of higher interest rate (only in extreme/urgent conditions u can withdraw)
4) Never Use multiple CC for transactions in fact don't use many CC (2 or 3 CC is more than enough)

multiple CCs?? no, i didnt want to even take this one.. but everything everywhere uses CC, so i took it..

thanks a lot!!

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
multiple CCs?? no, i didnt want to even take this one.. but everything everywhere uses CC, so i took it..
heh heh...i was on the same boat 1yr back but once I started using CC felt so convenient in using it.
u will also feel the same Buy now...Pay Later

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
all right... so i activated the card and linked the card to my account..

i bought some items.

i also bought some items from steam. amounting to USD 4.9... I got an sms stating the same, and also that "Final FX rates and charges are applicable."

whats that?? and when is the USD gonna convert to INR?

DDIF

Custom User Title
On my HDFC card that is done immediately but some time they do put FCY conversion charges of INR 20 to 30 later.
IDK about Citi but I can ask my friends who hold that card.

Top Bottom