cheap android- micromax andro A60 or samsung galaxy pop?

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
^^ What is the relation between the link you posted & sub-10k phones ?

Even HTC Desire & Optimus One has battery woes.
you said it yourself now
my point being when even the higher priced models haven't overcome this flaw
how do you expect your 10k android phone to fare?:lol:

if you guys want all the Super High end features of Android (multitasking, Always on Wi-Fi, 3g being the worst juice burners)
you have to compromise on Screen, Battery, Build Quality and what else?

i will ask you android afficianados
seriously is it worth the trouble
-------getting an Android Phone for 10k
-------Rooting it risking your warranty(i know it opens a whole new world)
-------putting up with the low res displays
-------and now the newly added tag "awesome battery guzzler"

show me a guy who owns an Android phone for more than 6 months and is not inconvenienced by its not so little flaws

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
my point being when even the higher priced models haven't overcome this flaw
how do you expect your 10k android phone to fare?:lol:

every heard about these things:

1. Smaller the display, better the battery life
2. lesser the features, better the battery life
3. lower the resolution, better the battery life
4. lower the TDP of the processor, better the battery life

Note: considering we are taking about android and android only!

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
show me a single useful thing
something an Android phone can Symbian can't

no Desiibond what i am talking about is
is it worth it to jump for Android wagon sub 10k bracket?
is android that much better than Symbian?

you'll say app support
name one game or app which can run on the Android not Symbian

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
show me a single useful thing
something an Android phone can Symbian can't

no Desiibond what i am talking about is
is it worth it to jump for Android wagon sub 10k bracket?
is android that much better than Symbian?

If the phones with good h/w roll out, yes, it is worth jumping. The sub 15k is conquered with Galaxy Ace and Optimus One. It's just a matter of time that we see better sub-10k droids.

coming to the second part, which one is easier to use? double-click-for-everything and dozen-clicks-for-single-task OS on 523x or OS on galaxy pop.

pauldmps

Banned
As soon as I finished dealing with a Symbian fan in another thread, another one started here.

SYMBIAN IS DEAD. ITS OWNER HAS DISCARDED IT. WHY SHOULD YOU CARE ABOUT IT NOW ?

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
If the phones with good h/w roll out, yes, it is worth jumping. The sub 15k is conquered with Galaxy Ace and Optimus One. It's just a matter of time that we see better sub-10k droids.

coming to the second part, which one is easier to use? double-click-for-everything and dozen-clicks-for-single-task OS on 523x or OS on galaxy pop.

i don't see that happening in the foreseeable near future of sub 10k phones(read 6 months)

I am talking of now not in future which is uncertain
face it Android as a platform hasn't quite matured for the sub 10k market

you wouldn't want to buy a phone for the love of Android alone
The best performance and potential of Android can only be possible on >20k phones with high end hardware
which is not possible on sub 10k phones
the sub 10k phones with android at present are nothing more than cheap knock-offs minus the experience and pleasure

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
you'll say app support
name one game or app which can run on the Android not Symbian

reader apps like kindle, B&N
official apps like twitter, last.fm, Sports* (espn,cric,f1,soccer, tennis....)
news apps like NDTV, TOI, BBC, NYT, WSJ etc
dozens of chat apps (nimbuzz, ebuddy, icq, fring, qik, aim, yahoo
Handsent threaded sms (threaded sms)
Threaded mail applications
market applications like appbrain
keypad apps like swiftkey, swype etc
doubletwist airsync (wireless sync app)

and the future Playstation experience that is going to be legend..... wait for it.... dary. LEGENDARY!

Do you want to know more?

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

you wouldn't want to buy a phone for the love of Android alone
The best performance and potential of Android can only be possible on >20k phones with high end hardware
which is not possible on sub 10k phones
the sub 10k phones with android at present are nothing more than cheap knock-offs minus the experience and pleasure

BTW, what is your opinion on these phones:

1. HTC Legend
2. Motorola Milestone
3. T-Mobile G2

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
As soon as I finished dealing with a Symbian fan in another thread, another one started here.

SYMBIAN IS DEAD. ITS OWNER HAS DISCARDED IT. WHY SHOULD YOU CARE ABOUT IT NOW ?

Watch it buddy
i am no fanboy
i am trying to present the current picture of the sub 10k market here

[/COLOR]
reader apps like kindle, B&N
eReader for Symbian S60 review | Electricpig

official apps like twitter, last.fm, Sports* (espn,cric,f1,soccer, tennis....)
*store.ovi.com/#/applications?categoryId=21
*store.ovi.com/#/applications?categoryId=22

news apps like NDTV, TOI, BBC, NYT, WSJ etc
*store.ovi.com/#/applications?categoryId=18

dozens of chat apps (nimbuzz, ebuddy, icq, fring, qik, aim, yahoo
*blog.nimbuzz.com/2011/02/14/presenting-nimbuzz-ad-free-for-nokia-symbian-phones/
weren't these available too ?:D don't tell me now, not to mention Gravity

Handsent threaded sms (threaded sms)
*dailymobile.se/2010/03/10/free-isms-threaded-sms-application-for-symbian-devices-updated-to-v1-08/

Threaded mail applications
*en.softonic.com/s/threaded-mail:phones/symbian

market applications like appbrain
well Symbian doesn't have a market
but if you want an app, you have to come to this market

keypad apps like swiftkey, swype etc
*betalabs.nokia.com/apps/swype-for-symbian

doubletwist airsync (wireless sync app)
*www.markspace.com/products/symbian/ms-overview-mac.php

Google and you shalt find :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, what is your opinion on these phones:

1. HTC Legend
2. Motorola Milestone
3. T-Mobile G2
i am talking about sub 10k consumer phones
are these sub 10k?

but they are great phones nonetheless at their pricepoint that is

p.s.
barney stinson fan eh?!!
yeah me too
he is the only one legen.......dary ever
i wish i become his wingman one day :D

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Damn it. trying to post to this thread for the past 2hrs and all I get is DB error. When the hell will these DB errors stop!

eReader for Symbian S60 review | Electricpig

Can I read books that I purchase on kindle or B&N stores on this eReader? if you are talking about free books, there are loads of better apps on android than eReader. So, in book reading, it's 0/10 for Symbian.

*store.ovi.com/#/applications?categoryId=22
*store.ovi.com/#/applications?categoryId=18

by official apps, I meant not just one or two apps, I meant apps for most franchises. All I can find from your links is two to three official news apps and one or two apps which I know for sports.

*blog.nimbuzz.com/2011/02/14/presenting-nimbuzz-ad-free-for-nokia-symbian-phones/
weren't these available too ?:D don't tell me now, not to mention Gravity

*dailymobile.se/2010/03/10/free-isms-threaded-sms-application-for-symbian-devices-updated-to-v1-08/

*en.softonic.com/s/threaded-mail:phones/symbian
*www.markspace.com/products/symbian/ms-overview-mac.php

40$ for a sync app? you sure you want to pay that much? and yeah, that threaded sms does look funny. every tom dick and harry writes such apps. if you start comparing such apps, there are thousands of them on iOS and android platforms. Handcent SMS on the other hand gives superb notifications and pop up with quick text options where I can reply directly without opening the app, use voice to send sms etc. psilac gsync used to cost 10 euro but is no longer being developed which shows another ugly angle. you stress yourself to find that one app that might do something for you, purchase it and few months/weeks later find that it has reached EOL.
on the other hand, for android, you have so many 'FREE' choices that even though one developer pulls the plug, you have many that are providing similar or better applications.

Handcent sms 'FREE' application: *www.youtube.com/watch?v=71xoxq_7F6w

This is what you call an sms 'app'.

By keypad, I didn't just mean swype. I personally liked swype app while my friend liked SwiftKey for it's superior prediction and autofill.
Similarly, I like Tweetdeck and I used to use it on linux, windows, android phone and ipod touch. Few like the simplicity of official twitter app while few like the multilist setup of tweetdeck, seesmic while few like to use sobees on all their devices. and none of these are paid apps and offer much better functionality than the paid app 'gravity' on symbian. Apart from the 'PAID' version of gravity, there is nothing on ovi that can please facebook and twitter addicts and if there are few apps that support these, they are like that iSMS app, toyish and very very basic.

In short, I do an extensive search on google and pay tens of dollars for functionality that is either available out-of-the-box on Android or I get it for free or can get in one place.

Now, thanks to Nokia pulling the plug for symbian for smartphones, the evolution of the market (which was always in it's infancy will be stalled).

I hope you understand how much the apps lack on symbian side and how bad the 'choice' is. You can compare the symbian apps to the old wm6 apps. there are tonnes of them that do nothing more than the most basic tasks, non-free and on-the-edge in terms of life.

well Symbian doesn't have a market
but if you want an app, you have to come to this market

in this case, every f'ing java phone can be as good as iOS or android device. Thing is, it doesn't work that way.

i am talking about sub 10k consumer phones
are these sub 10k?

but they are great phones nonetheless at their pricepoint that is

The h/w in these 20k+ droids is the same that we are now seeing on sub 15k droids. infact, LG O1 is powerful than HTC Legend while Defy is much better than Milestone. If you think that Legend/milestone etc are great phones yesterday, the newer sub-15k droids too are great phones. I am just waiting for similar devices to be out under 10k. Name one phone that offers more than what Galaxy Pop offers under 10k? The only concern I have with Pop is the low resolution display but it's okay for 8.5k price tag (though I was clearly angry with 15k phones coming with same h/w earlier). One release like LG O1 in sub 10k (same specs as Galaxy Ace but with better display) and there will be flood of decent droids at that price point. Hope you get my point.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
i agree with you in everything you have said

i think even you do agree with me that the Hardware being packed with Sub 10k phones(Android) are not quite there yet, though this will improve with time
i am no Nokia Fanboy, i would like to clarify this

My point is simply and only we don't have a COMPLETE package for Android till now in sub 10k
Something which hasn't compromised on Screen or battery or connectivity to bring Android to our tables
My point is that even the age old and very dated Symbian based phones (523x) feel more complete than Samsung POP
which even though it has much better hardware is completely pwned when it comes to screen quality battery etc

The beauty of android is that you'll have a whole world of open source and free apps for you
but they are also unoptimized as opposed to a software or app created in a controlled environment( like ios)

I myself am a fan of the Android model
but it has not quite settled yet
lets wait till we see more of Android optimized apps from the official Developers
and wait till the price of the hardware required comes down

you see where i am going?
i am for the Complete experience not just "me too android" phones which have made compromises somewhere or another

BTW
Hey is it true Neil Patrick is "you know" :(
Damn wikipedia just broke it on me man
damn!
anyway to each his own

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Nokia 5230 vs Samsung Pop
- uses a 434Mhz processor vs 600Mhz SOC.
- 128Mb ram vs 256Mb.
- same for rom (300vs 500Mb, should be).
- 1050mah (something like this) vs 1350mah battery. sorry. actually its a 1320mah vs 1200mah.
- no WiFi vs Wifi b/g/n.
- 2Mp fixed focus vs 3.2Mp autofocus (not confirmed if its A/F).
- resistive vs capacitive screen.

but Pop just cost 2k more & its only disadvantage from H/W is bad screen resolution. even the casing of Pop looks good enough.

so i guess the H/W confusion is over.

Top Bottom