cheap android- micromax andro A60 or samsung galaxy pop?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
that's the bummer for me
samsung should really provide higher res screens for android
the low res screen just null and voids all other salient points

true for us. not for the rest. Pop is launched targeted at youth & they won't look (most don't know) about resolution. they just need are:

big screen
latest android
3Mp+ camera
2Gb microsd card in box
looks good
well priced
& finally its Samsung.

if suggested LG Optimus One (spending 3k more) they'll laugh at your face & call you a moron for suggesting a costly LG when this mobile have same features.

only will they start their complains when apps don't run, video-pics-webpage looks pixelated making them almost unreadable.

let's face it
the charm of using "Android" would very likely wear off after 1 year of purchase
after that the phone won't be upgradeable to latest versions of android due to constricted hardware

shouldn't be.

1. Gingerbread doesn't bring a whole lot to the table. & still hardly avl on a few mobiles.
2. usually modded roms are available even for a not-so-famous mobile.
3. after gingerbread, its ice-creams that comes at around October-November. hardly any Ice-cream based mobiles before 2012.
4. Froyo is much better then Eclair & its true, none of the newly launched Androids (by Samsung) will get Gingerbread.

but then what are you saying, get a BADA based mobile? or S60 based mobile? do S60 or BADA are updated to the latest version i.e. S^3 & Bada 2.0? no & they never will. also can they even be compared?

its not a question of how much to expect for a budget, but your priorities and usage

thats true but i think its better to keep everything in balance.

under 9k you'll find Nokia's S60 based mobiles, Samsung's BADA based mobile & the Androids. also some features phones that should be ignored.

IMO the android experience is wasted on those low res screens

but theres nothing much one can do. if the viewing pleasure is damaged by the low resolution, we can only just make the resolution go up without going for the local android mobile phones but we can lower the screen size to lower the damage. like Galaxy5 with a 2.8" but same resolution. but again Android 2.1.

also Bada offers some good specs but the OS is yet to mature. & Nokia S60, good H/W (not the inside though) but coupled with a EOL OS. every smartphone platform has its weaknesses, specially under 10k. its upto OP to make compromises.

Last edited:
OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i looked for galaxy pop today in local markets. its not available. only galaxy 3 and 5.

what should i do? should i go for bada phone like wave 525? a physical qwerty is also welcomed. 7.5k max budget.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i looked for galaxy pop today in local markets. its not available. only galaxy 3 and 5.

visit Samsung showroom & Mobile Store. also visit Bigbazaar or similar malls. they usually have it. price will be 9-9.2k.

what should i do? should i go for bada phone like wave 525? a physical qwerty is also welcomed. 7.5k max budget.

7.5k max? so Andro & Dell XCD28 possible. well as you want a keyboard also, Wave 533 looks good. but no 3G.

but remember resolution is low. but at 7.5k, it shouldn't matter.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

you wait.

but his budget is only 7.5k. what will he get by waiting?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
bigger display
swype
better cam
802.11n
Froyo

it's better to wait, up the budget by 1k-1.5k and get Pop than to get G5 now.

pauldmps

Banned
^^ Shouldn't he get it now instead of waiting ?

@OP
The handset should be available at any Samsung showroom or other big shops (Mobile Store, PlanetM, etc.) Make sure that they sell it at 9k or less. Else it is wise to buy it from Flipkart.com.

Update: The phone is available on Ebay.in for Rs. 8790 in the "Deals of the Week" section. See this: eBay India's Deal Junction - one stop shop for hottest deals & bargains on mobile phones, digicams, laptops, LCD TVs, computers, movies, shoes, diamond jewellery & more. Click on the smartphone link.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Samsung Pop is definitely better than Andro A60...

Samsung Pop review (also known as Galaxy mini in Europe) -- YouTube - Samsung GALAXY mini Preview

Cheers!

vishurocks

Journeyman
Yeah wait for pop. If not available, it will be available shortly in retail stores

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

If he could get it now frm onln stores or other retail chains then it is better not to wait

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
yes. if getting from ebay OP will save 300-400 bucks.

I've had a not so good experience from Ebay recently... I purchased a Sennheiser HD 180 headset. When it reached me, it had a defective cable. I had to send it back... and took 15 days for replacement... and a lot of hassle...

The replacement headset worked well for a couple of days... and this one also seems to have problems... as the sound cuts off if I move the cable... Very frustrating.

Unless you have an Ebay discount coupon and are saving considerable amount of money as compared to local stores, I recommend avoid high-value purchases on ebay.

P. S. I had also bought an external Transcend 500 GB HDD... and it turned out to be fine... its more a luck factor. So, be careful...

Cheers!

pauldmps

Banned
Without turning this thread into an "Ebay discussion thread", I would say that, look at the Seller's ratings, feedbacks, etc. & you are good to go.

techmaniack

Broken In
i've bought POP a couple of days back and the Battery Life is HORRIBLE my battery gets consumed @1% per minute(WiFI aand 3G disabled...Brightness minnimum) while surfing... i can't even find an 'inbuilt' app to find the 'REMAINING BATTERY' the ones i dlded from Market are quite AMBIGUOUS...pls help....someone....... :(((
(NOTE: i haven't 'ROOTED' the phone or not even tried anything simmilar...)

pauldmps

Banned
Ye sit should be unit specific. I won't recommend flashing the phone yourself. Immediately take it to the service centre. Immediately because if you bought within couple of days, they may replace the unit. If you make a delay, they'll rather go for repair instead of replacement. This happened to me.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
i've bought POP a couple of days back and the Battery Life is HORRIBLE my battery gets consumed @1% per minute(WiFI aand 3G disabled...Brightness minnimum) while surfing... i can't even find an 'inbuilt' app to find the 'REMAINING BATTERY' the ones i dlded from Market are quite AMBIGUOUS...pls help....someone....... :(((
(NOTE: i haven't 'ROOTED' the phone or not even tried anything simmilar...)

cautionary tale for all those jumping on the sub10k android bandwagon

@all
to all those who are busy recommending Sub 10k android phones to each other for apps games and whatnot
be cautioned
Google blames Android battery woes on user practices and poorly-designed apps | andrew | Androinica

pauldmps

Banned
^^ What is the relation between the link you posted & sub-10k phones ?

Even HTC Desire & Optimus One has battery woes.

Top Bottom