change dns address in gutsy permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
dataone dns is having lot of problems and to shift to open dns when i type the dnsaddresses in system->administration->network , the settings are changed when connection is redialled.

praka123

left this forum longback
if ur having a single computer and uses bridge mode(dials from linux to connect) it is easy;u need to "#" out the line "usepeerdns" in /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider and then add the opendns servers at /etc/resolv.conf as:
Code:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
and go to *welcome.opendns.com for verification dataone dns server is down here most of the time :( .

if ur on pppoe dialer mode(router configured) then u have to add the opendns servers in the dns option in ur router webconfiguration page(192.168.1.1 ? )

OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
See /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
prepend <opendns>

already tried that.no success

if ur having a single computer and uses bridge mode(dials from linux to connect) it is easy;u need to "#" out the line "usepeerdns" in /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider and then add the opendns servers at /etc/resolv.conf as:
Code:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
and go to *welcome.opendns.com for verification dataone dns server is down here most of the time :( .

thank you very much.works like a charm.

Last edited:
OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
@praka , got another prob.when restarted dns fields are empty and websites donot open unless i change the dns in system->administration->network

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Assign a static IP and disable DHCP, and assign the Open DNS numbers, and gateway (usually 192.168.1.1) by using the network configuration tool in the taskbar on your desktop.

OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/4340/Screenshot-eth0%20Properties.png
my conf is already static ip

praka123

left this forum longback
@praka , got another prob.when restarted dns fields are empty and websites donot open unless i change the dns in system->administration->network
look at my /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider:
Code:
# Minimalistic default options file for DSL/PPPoE connections

noipdefault
defaultroute
replacedefaultroute
hide-password
#lcp-echo-interval 30
#lcp-echo-failure 4
noauth
persist
#mtu 1492
[B]#usepeerdns[/B]
plugin rp-pppoe.so eth0
user "userid"
I think there is prolly no chance of getting /etc/resolv.conf blank :-| :
else u have to set attr option using
Code:
chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
^to prevent overwriting and make sure u have opendns entries in /etc/resolv.conf as per post number #3

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
chattr does not work on all FS like ext4, so better find what causing the problem then remove.

Locking the file is not the correct way as mehul said

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
it doesn't work on ext4? I thought ext4 was backwards compatible with ext3.
It's just a extfs feature. Won't work in any other fs AFAIK.

praka123

left this forum longback
^ext4 may not be backward compatible ext3<=>ext2 .ext4 bundles many new features afaik.btw, commenting out (#) usepeerdns does the trick in bridge mode.

OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
How exactly do you connect to the internet?
pon and poff commands to dial pppoe.
@praka reslov.conf is not empty but in the dns tab of system->administration->network it is empty and webpages donot open till i manually give it an address.

praka123

left this forum longback
^that may be a gnome-system-tools failure(HAL).if ur having a single computer with dataone connection only for internet,i suggest you remove below packages for the ease;
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager network-manager-gnome
restart ur system or services to try again!

OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
^that may be a gnome-system-tools failure(HAL).if ur having a single computer with dataone connection only for internet,i suggest you remove below packages for the ease;
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager network-manager-gnome
restart ur system or services to try again!
alright!! workin good.thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom