Celkon, Intex set for Google's Android One

rickenjus

In the zone
Low-profile Celkon Mobiles and Intex Technologies are hoping to vault into a higher league by becoming the next set of Indian smartphone vendors to tie up with Google for the search giant's low-cost smartphone initiative Android One, which is aimed at emerging markets, starting with the South Asian nation.

Celkon executive director Murali Retineni told ET that the company has tied up with Google for Android One and is preparing to launch devices as part of the project around Diwali (October) this year.

"With Android One, we are planning to introduce devices that are 20-30% cheaper than earlier products," he said.

Intex, which is in talks with Google to join the Android One programme, is hoping to build its brand image in the highly competitive Indian market.
"We are in talks with Google for the Android One initiative. In 15-20 days, I would be able to give more information on the same," said Sanjay Kumar Kalirona, business head, mobile, Intex Technologies.

The company has already tied up with Firefox web browser maker Mozilla to introduce what could possibly be the world's cheapest smartphones in a few months costing below or around Rs 2,000.

Source - Celkon, Intex set to be Google's new India partners for Android One

What I think is while this will surely give boost to Indian Brands but the question is will they be able make full use of it.!! Why don't these brands open R&D centers here and start producing one phone or two on their own, instead of rebranding everything. Atleast micromax have should have enough cash by now, isn't it??
I seriously wish our desi brands to grow and to be known internationally.. :)

OP
rickenjus

rickenjus

In the zone
[MENTION=140405]Hrishi[/MENTION] - well I think India,

Indian companies are getting main software system they needed, half of their work is being done by google. So they only have to work on hardware aspect and I don't think they will import handset from china for lifelong. After some time they will surely think to start manufacturing on their own. Maybe I'm thinking far ahead but I'm hopefull.

Also a win-win for customer after all, reduced prices + vanilla android, who wouldn't want that.

kml420

Broken In
Google is abandoning Nexus for Android One?? This is more like Nexus devices from each Manufacturer.

pranjal.3029

Colossus of Stars
Google is abandoning Nexus for Android One?? This is more like Nexus devices from each Manufacturer.

Google isnt abandoning nexus at all. They are just introducing another lineup for cheap devices in competitive markets like India

kml420

Broken In
well Google indeed is abandoning Nexus but for Google Silver. Not Android One. I got lil mixed up earlier. :p

ankush28

Bazinga
^^ No one can say confidently that Nexus is ON. Who knows if SILVER even exisit?
afaik they will continue nexus series :mrgreen:

Top Bottom