Career in programming

sksundram

In the zone
Really helpful ! Is there a site like codeacademy.com for SQL? CodeAcademy doesn't have anything on SQL. The online environment for execution and learning is really great but i need something similar on SQL.
Visit SQLZOO. It will get you started. SQL is pretty easy to master. But you don't use it as a standalone tech. You use it in conjunction with other technologies like PHP, Java, etc.

You can check these two courses for an in depth understanding:
1. Beginner - Database Foundations Course
2. Beginner - *www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_RGaFnxSHWr_6xTfF2FrIw-NAOo3iWMy
2. Advanced - Using PHP with MySQL Course

Last edited:

isaac12345

Journeyman
Being a mechanical engineer and ending up doing some crappy job which i absolutely hate i want to shift my path to programming.
Coding is not a joke i know but will 1 year of hard work can get me a job. Atleast i will love what i am doing though i have never code before.

Maybe its the crappy job that's not applying your mind. Do remember that most companies in India treat their youth as cattle unless they are from certain branded backgrounds like IIT, IIM etc. Talk to your manager about it and ask him what kind of work can you expect in the future. Be fairly straightforward because Indian managers have a habit of beating around the bush.

If you are still into mechanical engineering, try this company called grey-orange robotics. Their work is tough but would be rewarding. I often call companies up and say I want to try their admission test and they send something over email. You can try it with these guys as well as other mechanical engineering companies.

If you are going into coding, my only advice would be is to be careful of companies that get outsourced work from abroad as a major part of their business model is to underpay workers to make profits rather than actually create good software and sell it out like microsoft,infosys,etc.

You should also look into new fields that are coming up that cannot do without mechanical engineering like consumer 3D printing. That might give you a feeling that you are part of something new and big!

Last edited:

kunnusingh

Journeyman
Nothing is easy but If you have a guts then learn programming and make some software and sell it on internet by subscription method.

I don't like doing a job under someone else company.

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
Maybe its the crappy job that's not applying your mind. Do remember that most companies in India treat their youth as cattle unless they are from certain branded backgrounds like IIT, IIM etc. Talk to your manager about it and ask him what kind of work can you expect in the future. Be fairly straightforward because Indian managers have a habit of beating around the bush.

If you are still into mechanical engineering, try this company called grey-orange robotics. Their work is tough but would be rewarding. I often call companies up and say I want to try their admission test and they send something over email. You can try it with these guys as well as other mechanical engineering companies.

If you are going into coding, my only advice would be is to be careful of companies that get outsourced work from abroad as a major part of their business model is to underpay workers to make profits rather than actually create good software and sell it out like microsoft,infosys,etc.

You should also look into new fields that are coming up that cannot do without mechanical engineering like consumer 3D printing. That might give you a feeling that you are part of something new and big!

I am learning coding now so going backwards is not the best option for me now. Will keep this in mind though.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing is easy but If you have a guts then learn programming and make some software and sell it on internet by subscription method.

I don't like doing a job under someone else company.
Thats a long way to go..
But do you know any good resource where i can learn jsp, servlets quickly. Don't suggest java point and such crap sites.

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
hey guys can you provide some source where i can improve my programming from basics upto advanced step by step. I have almost finished codingbat exercises with ease & now I am comfortable in loop logic. I have tried programmr but unfortunately this site is pain in a$$ to load and sometimes doesn't open at all.
I have also tried hackerearth.com but I am not at able to understand the questions at all. I am tired of registering at every site now. Just provide me sites where I can work on OOPS concept.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
hey guys can you provide some source where i can improve my programming from basics upto advanced step by step. I have almost finished codingbat exercises with ease & now I am comfortable in loop logic. I have tried programmr but unfortunately this site is pain in a$$ to load and sometimes doesn't open at all.
I have also tried hackerearth.com but I am not at able to understand the questions at all. I am tired of registering at every site now. Just provide me sites where I can work on OOPS concept.

If you are very new to programming, first learn Python from learnpython.org

Then first of all get familiar with the language and try to create programs on your own or solve simple problems using it. Once you are confident that you can handle simple problems, then move on to advanced concepts such as OOP using Python.

You cannot learn programming overnight. You will have to invest many months to get decently proficient.

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
If you are very new to programming, first learn Python from learnpython.org

Then first of all get familiar with the language and try to create programs on your own or solve simple problems using it. Once you are confident that you can handle simple problems, then move on to advanced concepts such as OOP using Python.

You cannot learn programming overnight. You will have to invest many months to get decently proficient.

As i said I have been practicing loops and reading about java for more than a month and I am familiar with OOPS concepts and all. I just need a source where I can implement it practically. And I also know python but lost a bit of touch after starting JAVA.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Then all you need to do is solve problems. Go to a site such as hackerrank.com and solve the programming problems over there using Java. This way you can refine your skills. If you get stuck, you can always ask for guidance here.

Install JDK and Eclipse and start coding.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Then all you need to do is solve problems. Go to a site such as hackerrank.com and solve the programming problems over there using Java. This way you can refine your skills. If you get stuck, you can always ask for guidance here.

Install JDK and Eclipse and start coding.

+five thousand

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
How is the Freelance scene here in india ?

is it possible for somebody to start learning programming from scratch and build up a freelance career without a degree ? say after 3 years of dedicated learning

How hard it is to break into freelance in india with decent income ? considering it is over populated ?

if somebody can shed some light on this it would be very helpful for everybody

Thanks

D

Deleted member 118788

How is the Freelance scene here in india ?

is it possible for somebody to start learning programming from scratch and build up a freelance career without a degree ? say after 3 years of dedicated learning

How hard it is to break into freelance in india with decent income ? considering it is over populated ?

if somebody can shed some light on this it would be very helpful for everybody

Thanks

Well, I started as a Freelancer 2 Years Back and now I am running my own company but I targeted International Clients. You will have a very tough time getting Freelance Jobs in India.

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
Any other sites like hackerrank?? completed most of the exercises in java domain..Still any sites dedicated to OOP, Generics, threads..I want to prepare from job point of view.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You don't really have to do servlets unless the job requires an understanding of it. Much less Swing.

But Core concepts are always asked. Therefore, brush up your collections, generics, threads, inheritance, polymorphism, JDBC, some design patterns, XML parsing, etc.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Are core java concepts enough for interview or i have to dive into swing, servlet, etc.

Swing not required but servlet is a must. These are fundamental pillars of J2EE. No matter what java web framework you touch, be it JSF, Spring MVC , struts 2 , apache ofbiz
and so on, they are all built on top of the servlet api. Servlets are fundamentals and their understanding will make you clear on whatever framework you touch in future.

This is purely from a java web developer perspective. Core java fundamentals is a must though before moving further.

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
Do the other problems in hackerrank using Java.

Start with Algorithms track.

For few months all I am doing is solving those stupid strings, arrays problems like a nerd on every site a register. And hacckerrank problems are just frustrating. Its not that i am not able to solve it. But it seems I am done with loops and all. Any further step cause in real world I don't think I will be solving those factorials and strings. There is not a single site which has GUI practice problems.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
GUI is subjective. You need to learn about UI and UX and then put that into practice. Also, Java GUI does not have a huge market, Java is mostly used for enterprise applications. Therefore, its better if you start learning J2EE instead.

BakBob

Mods changed my name :(
For few months all I am doing is solving those stupid strings, arrays problems like a nerd on every site a register. And hacckerrank problems are just frustrating. Its not that i am not able to solve it. But it seems I am done with loops and all. Any further step cause in real world I don't think I will be solving those factorials and strings. There is not a single site which has GUI practice problems.

Because most GUIs are a joke. As long as your fundamentals are all right, you can easily slap some GUI on your app and call it day. Hell, GUI is so simple that you could choose to have anything from a simple JFrame to a simple HTML page as your GUI.

Top Bottom