Cant partition for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

summit.nayak

NOT a Fresh Stock
I was trying to partition my hard drive for linux but i keep on getting the error 1529 "mismatch in directory entry" when i try using partition magic
i searched google and various different other forums but to no success. i have used Acronis Disk Director but had no luck. i have tried all the windows utilities including the check disk and the disk defragmentor but to no use. please help.

P.S. i have no idea about how to get gparted live cd to work. i dont know which one to choose in the boot menu. help would be greatly praised and thanked for.

praka123

left this forum longback
use any livecd and open a terminal while in session,run as su or sudo "fdisk /dev/sdx" where sda,sdb are for sata hdds and hda etc for pata ones.now press "m" to get the options.format and make partition via fdisk.to fix possible errors,press "x" and then press "f" and then "w" and quit.run "partprobe".hope it solves.

To format the partitions with Linux,use mkfs command.

using gparted is much easier than what i have suggested.

OP
summit.nayak

summit.nayak

NOT a Fresh Stock
^^i know,
but i dont know which option to choose in the gparted boot screen. please can you suggest an easier method if available

ray|raven

Think Zen.
If you have a ubuntu live cd,
boot through it and run GParted.
Havent used GParted live cd so cant say abt it.

Regards,
ray

x3060

A LOTR fan
hey , i just now formated my windows , and i have the system like this

C-15gb
D-17gb
E-39gn
F-131gb
G-29.2gb

ok, so i deleted "d" and created

8gb "/" ext3 and 1gb "swap"

i installed ubuntu yest fine , my "xp " crashed yest , so i had to reinstall.
i did , i then tried to install "linux mint4.0"

now , thats when the problem started

i cant see the partitions in linux at the time of install , i tried
mandriva 2008, fedora 8, ubuntu , mint

mandriva lets me see the partitons , when i try to install it says "cant copy files"
fedora says, "partition is Corrupt" it needs to wipe out the entire hdd
live cds of ubuntu and mint dont even go to "desktop " screen .it stays blank.

while "xp" works, the rest dont ....
now what to do???, i can delete "d" and make room for "root" and "swap"
only using mandriva 2008, as said early, even then the thing wont install.
while others dont even let me see the partition table.

so, how to fix the partition table???

OP
summit.nayak

summit.nayak

NOT a Fresh Stock
using live cds never works.
it shows that the drive is full and no space is left, whenever i try to resize or do anything with the partition

is anybody there?
Please help

Last edited:

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
I was trying to partition my hard drive for linux but i keep on getting the error 1529 "mismatch in directory entry" when i try using partition magic
i searched google and various different other forums but to no success. i have used Acronis Disk Director but had no luck. i have tried all the windows utilities including the check disk and the disk defragmentor but to no use. please help.

P.S. i have no idea about how to get gparted live cd to work. i dont know which one to choose in the boot menu. help would be greatly praised and thanked for.

if you are trying to install new linux, i'll suggest you to do this:

If you are planning to use it dual boot with windows:
1. Make a drive blank. Make sure there is no data in it. And make sure it is enough for a Linux system you want to install
2. Start Run diskmgmt.msc
3. In the logical disk manager, just right click on the drive and select "Delete Logical Drive" or "Delete Partition" on the drive that is free.... and click yes to confirm.
4. Then boot with the linux you want to install and then when the option for disk comes up, just select "Use Free Space" or similar option. If you choose custom partitioning, then in the Free disk space, select some spacvefor swap partition and you can allocate left space for "/"....

OP
summit.nayak

summit.nayak

NOT a Fresh Stock
^^
i think you dont understand what i am requesting. i cant delete or resize or partition my hard disk. need help fixing that in order to install linux

x3060

A LOTR fan
hey. why dont you try using mandriva 2008, it might help....

it helped me to delete the partitions

can some one help me out in my problem????

OP
summit.nayak

summit.nayak

NOT a Fresh Stock
is mandriva good? I read somewhere that Ubuntu is the most used. this is probably a bad way of choosing the os but still....

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
Resizing/deleting partition during installation in not that rocket science.. As far as distro is concerned stick to Ubuntu for now..during installation, Manually edit the partition table.
And here resizing means you have to delete a partition and create a new one with preferred size and filesystem.

OP
summit.nayak

summit.nayak

NOT a Fresh Stock
so, i installed fedora without any probs but the fact is that my internet aint working and the guides which are on the net are all targeted towards ubuntu
so how can i change?
should i just reformat the partition which had ubuntu? will it damage grub?

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
No you don't need to format .. just tell what kindda connection you are having .. Its lot easier to configure internet on Fedora than ubuntu

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@summit.nayak
You modem can work under Ubuntu, atleast it reported to work.
it may no be one click working but it will work.
*neodil.blogspot.com/2007/03/usb-modem-zte-zxdsl-852-install-success.html

For partioning you can use this GPARTED-LiveCD
*gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/

That is tuff luck! :( USB modems are not well supported. Can you connect it thru ethernet?
not true, some modem are supported
*help.ubuntu.com/7.10/internet/C/modems-adsl-usb.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom