Camera talk...

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have a flash stand ..its not too collapsable and heavy...but its definitely strong and tall...if somehow you can fit a head rather then the umbrella holder on top of the flash stand then it will be a tripod. My stand is at nagpur or I would have told you right way ;)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Seems light stand is heavier than tripod, which mean more stable? But only the center column extends, does it mean more prone to wobble/not reliable as tripod for camera?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Using light stand is too much of a hassle and it doesn't seem to be as convenient as tripod. No panning available... :(
Seems like I got to stick with tripod and live with the quality of cheapo one.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
convinience is a diffrent thing...i was telling abt cheap and stable
Yeah, with an adapter we can use camera on a light stand. And it goes much higher than a tripod. If I need this set up to have an adjustable head, I have to shell out lot more. A very good option, just I am weighing up things. May be its not for me now. :(

I'm using the standard issue Sony VCT-VPR1, stable and never failed on me even once. Although...I think I paid more for the "remote", which I don't use much anyway.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I havent used my tripod and monopod for last 1.5 years :( tripod is flimsy for my D7000 and dont take its weight properly it was ok for D3100....and monopod is strong but I find very less usage of it.
I spent almost 5k on my monopod Benro A29T+M234RC head

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I spent almost 5k on my monopod Benro A29T+M234RC head
You have to hold the monopod on one hand and use your camera or do you have something like this for your monopod?

*i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/32249264513/Benro-ST1S-A18T-A29T-A28T-A29T-A38T-C38T-monopod-trigeminal-universal-screw.jpg_350x350.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac :) I cant see the image in office...I use monopod for long lenses so it become natural triangle ..lens+cam weight itself keep the monopod stable enough.

*www.olympusamerica.com/crm/oneoffpages/ask_oly/images/Monopod.jpg

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nac :) I cant see the image in office...I use monopod for long lenses so it become natural triangle ..lens+cam weight itself keep the monopod stable enough.
So, you don't have to hold the [STRIKE]tripod[/STRIKE] monopod or camera. You can just leave it... I always see (google images) the photographer holding the monopod/camera when shooting.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
no no we dont hold monopod or tripod...tripod has the ability to self stand alone...monopod need our two legs support...but we need to hold the camera and lens...if you have ball head then you can move the cam by applying pressure on that direction..no need to touch monopod or tripod..

In case of monopod we apply direct pressure towards ground..and monopod have great grip below...that helps keep it intact.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
no no we dont hold monopod or tripod...tripod has the ability to self stand alone...monopod need our two legs support...but we need to hold the camera and lens...if you have ball head then you can move the cam by applying pressure on that direction..no need to touch monopod or tripod..

In case of monopod we apply direct pressure towards ground..and monopod have great grip below...that helps keep it intact.
Sorry, I meant monopod. Not tripod. So photographer has to hold monopod or camera all the time. But what's the point here (I think the discussion is gonna go long) if have to hold all the time?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Okay, let me say what I understood.
no no we dont hold monopod or tripod...tripod has the ability to self stand alone... - Tripod can stand itself, no need any support from the photographer.
monopod need our two legs support... but we need to hold the camera and lens... - Monopod need support from the photographer, meaning he has to hold the monopod itself or the camera which is mounted on the monopod. The point is he has to hold it, monopod can't stand on it's one. After all it has just ONE leg.
if you have ball head then you can move the cam by applying pressure on that direction..no need to touch monopod or tripod.. - I assume you mean (we no need to touch "monopod or tripod") the legs of the tripod/monopod
In case of monopod we apply direct pressure towards ground..and monopod have great grip below...that helps keep it intact. - By applying pressure means by hands, right? Not by just looking at the monopod :rofl: No offense.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Monopod adds a lot of stability for taking shots with long lenses. It's much more stable than just holding the cam in your hand. The advantage is that you can move it or tilt it very quickly

A tripod on the other hand can be left behind, is very stable but hard to move quickly for things like a bird shot

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Monopod adds a lot of stability for taking shots with long lenses. It's much more stable than just holding the cam in your hand. The advantage is that you can move it or tilt it very quickly

A tripod on the other hand can be left behind, is very stable but hard to move quickly for things like a bird shot
Yeah, I get that. Shooting with monopod is better than handhold. By your comment, I get this. Though monopod is more stable than handheld shooting, it's not as stable as tripod. But it has the ability to pan/tilt quicker than tripod. So if Sujoy puts that thing I posted under his monopod, will make it less quick to pan/tilt?
Sujoy will see that image after he reaches home and will let us know if he uses it or not...

- - - Updated - - -

Sujoy, Can you the image I posted? (BTW, clear your inbox)

sujoyp

Grand Master
I just saw what u posted nac....we can not put our cam+lens worth lakhs and depend on that Chinese product to handle :D ... that base will be useful only if we can move the monopod left right front back on that....check a monopod video on youtube..Monopod is very handy and small.

- - - Updated - - -

msgbox cleared

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I just saw what u posted nac....we can not put our cam+lens worth lakhs and depend on that Chinese product to handle :D ... that base will be useful only if we can move the monopod left right front back on that....check a monopod video on youtube..Monopod is very handy and small.
Not necessarily chinese product, may be from Benro, manfrotto. These stabilizers would help a little more, and seems like you can leave it free standing (depends on the place).
I watched some youtube videos, as you suggested. It's kinda mixed, some find it okay and some find handheld better for their work. So it's not like I assumed. Monopod is not tripod, can't leave it free stand. Got to hold on to it. It's being used for better stability and as much as stability some use it for taking weight off of their hands when they use heavy lenses.

Top Bottom