Camera talk...

quagmire

Allllright !
Guys your thoughts about this deal: Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D @ Rs. 5,260

Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D | eBay

@sujoyp : What are the major advantages of your Tamron 17-50mmf2.8 over Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G?

And why do apertures have different suffixes like 1.8D, 5.6G?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and nikon 18-55

1. Tamron is a fixed aperture f2.8 where nikon is variable aperture with f5.6 at 55mm ...tammy better in low light
2. faster focus in tamron then nikon
3. better build qulaity in tamron then nikon
4.better bokeh in tamron due to f2.8

The D lenses in nikon where ment for those having aperture ring on the lens...by that we can manually change the aperture and its useful while using the lens with TC
G lenses are nikons latest lenses having no aperture ring and mostly with AFS motor inside

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I couldn't find the difference between 650d and 700d when the later was announced. To my surprise, there is no 650d is listed in canon's site. So it's discontinued, I guess. And there are people discussing that 700d is nothing but the same 650d.

sujoyp

Grand Master
ooh I just lost track of these dslrs....canon announced soo many of them recently 100D, 700D and 70D

I will check and comment :)

btw I am myself very confused....I wanted to upgrade after 2-3 months...but I really cant decide if D7100 is big difference then D7000 or not ....or should I get D7000 used for 36k and save lots of money
D7100 is 68k now and D7000 is 43k new

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^
Food for thought

Pro Camera for hobbyist? - Nikon DSLR cameras Discussions on Nikon Rumors Forum

sujoyp

Grand Master
good read Nac ...

I want to buy a semi pro DSLR coz I want two dials, pentaprism viewfinder (for my 55mm AIS Macro manual lens), inbuilt motor (for my 50mm 1.8D lens) and faster focussing and burst speed for birding , bracketing for HDR and a DOF button for macros.

If I get a 50mm 1.8G lens it will cost me 14k new or 10k used and my existing 50mm 1.8D will be waste
AIS manual lens have metering with D7000 and a focus confirmation too...soo it becomes easier

Soo I have all the valid reasons to upgrade :D in terms of quality and handling I am happy with D3100 and its going to be with my father (he have been using film SLR all his life, and is a better and creative photographer)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Had been running through the list of available SLRs when I was buying, and there are a crazy amount of variants. Often the increment in model number will be due to some really stupid feature like a touch screen or bluetooth. With almost no change in the image quality but a huge jump in the price.

Sujoy, where are you getting all this used stuff from? online or some store? and when you do start the upgrade process do walk us through the decisions, it will be good to know how a seasoned buyer purchases stuff

sujoyp

Grand Master
@amlan image quality of last 4 years DSLR are almost similar from D300, D90, D3100, D5000, D5100, D7000 and D7100 ...all are almost same...you have to pixel peep to find changes...they say that DR improved and ISO improved...but you can not find much difference

when I bough my DSLR kit and 55-200 both I bough from local store
I bought 50mm 1.8 , 55mm 2.8 micro and tamron 17-50 2.8 from jjmehta forum
bough flash from ebay.com
tripod local store
triggers from a faceless store in kerela which all photography community knows...and he gives best deal
bag from flipkart

so no definite pattern :D

the only two things in my list now ...a D7000 or a D7100 and Sigma 150-500 or Nikon 300mm f4 AFS + 1.4x TC
I am waiting for my next visit to india in december to get DSLR upgrade 1st.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
There are many cameras have announced but yet to launch in India. But very recently announced SX170 is out there in the market. No big upgrade, just Lion battery pack vs AA...

sujoyp

Grand Master
but AA battery is old tech... my LiOn cell on D3100 can give around 400 shots per charge...if I keep 2 its will be enough for 800 shots :) and I can charge the other with a travel charger ..And it charges in an hour

@ amlan I was just going to say SX170 with a LiON a much needed upgrade when I read ur message :(

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes read that some day back...but dont know its utility...so now will the get good better best sensor as per user budget...then gone will be days when a 30000 dslr will have same sensor as a 80k dslr

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Even in Canon starting from 550D till 700D the image quality is almost same with the same sensor,though 650/700D has had hybrid sensor but that was for video focussing and did not provide better images over the predecessors.Even the 60D. But the 70D is with a different image sensor,better,slightly better image quality, fast focus ,mostly visible in video with the STM lens,mind you only with the STM lens.The 100D is just a small bodied 550/600/700D to target the mirrorless crowd with a DSLR. I really had to go through a lot before buying the 600D which by the way is an EISA award winner and still the most sensible buy!!!:-D I want try Eyefi/Speedlight in it as it supports it...just for the kicks...

Last edited:

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Had read somewhere that the pro DSLR will go the pc way. Buy the components and make your own. Plug in a new sensor, wifi, focus motor etc. You can already play a lot with the lenses, battery etc

sujoyp

Grand Master
amlan it will be possible only when multiple companies agrees to a single architecture like x86 in PC ... but if u see the dslr business , companies are earning a lot by selling a whole DSLR again which mean bigger profit ...why would they want to sell a part which had to be kept very securely in hitech werehouse.

we the enthusiasts always fall prey to upgraded newer models ...which is kindof stupidity ...but its like that only in all electronic devices...you know a person buying D300 in 2008 can still proudly say that D7100 have nothing new in it ... maybe other then video

sujoyp

Grand Master
ooh yes they were :p I completely forgot that...but they were very costly specifically I remember for hasselblads which have digital back, viewfinder almost everything separates...

Top Bottom