Camera talk...

satinder

DELHIITE
Nikon D500 is a welcome step as it starts a new thinking to make it communicate with smart devices more efficiently.
Till now cameras were as a dumb device. WiFi connectivity made not much sense as it drains battery fast. Bluetooth 4.0 is much efficient tech that will convert a camera into multi purpose device to communicate with other smart devices seamlessly.
Other companies are also in shock what to do next ?
Smartphone is making them stuck what they have.
What to do next is only experimented by a leader.
Nikon is taking right steps with experiments.

Compacts are on backfoot as smartphone is ahead of it. Camera companies were churning out good profit from compact segment till now. After 13 Megapixel Camera in 10K+ range mobile is making them still for sometime. It will take sometime to decide which direction to go.
As mirror less segment also not doing good in comparison to DSLR for professional results.
Camera companies want profit only after all money leads all !

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Question for Canon users : How safe is chdk.. Can it corrupt your camera ? Can you go back to factory settings
Finally Is it worth trying ?
Thanks

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Question for Canon users : How safe is chdk.. Can it corrupt your camera ? Can you go back to factory settings
Finally Is it worth trying ?
I have been using it for about 2yrs (may be 3yrs), I haven't corrupted my camera.
Do I think it's safe? I am not sure.
Is it worth? I guess, coz I am using it and I need some feature which are not available in stock firmware.
Yes, you can go back to factory settings. It's not like you're installing a new firmware and wiping the stock. It's more like a temp, it won't touch the stock firmware. There are two ways to load chdk, one is enable when you want to which I am using. If you want to switch from stock to chdk or vice versa, you have to turn off and on. The other option is always enabled when you turn on your camera.

sujoyp

Grand Master
wow Nikon have announced some heavy duty releases...D5, a radio trigger top end flash and a D300s update D500 cool.

D500 should be as rugged as D300s with all the tech announced...D300s was famous for working in all and any situation even after falling from cliff and drowning in water :D
153 AF point with 99 cross..good...hope its ISO is usable upto 6400 :) ...10fps shooting is also good for birding...
but 2000$ means out of our consideration as enthusiast..I would get a D750 for that money.

- - - Updated - - -

AFP motor on 18-55 for video recording is also interesteing.

Panasonic gave 10x zoom on a 1" sensor camera .. lets see the results...
canon are just casually releasing 3 P&S nothing interesting

Sony must have kept some secrets..they are the most innovative one..

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
I have been using it for about 2yrs (may be 3yrs), I haven't corrupted my camera.
Do I think it's safe? I am not sure.
Is it worth? I guess, coz I am using it and I need some feature which are not available in stock firmware.
Yes, you can go back to factory settings. It's not like you're installing a new firmware and wiping the stock. It's more like a temp, it won't touch the stock firmware. There are two ways to load chdk, one is enable when you want to which I am using. If you want to switch from stock to chdk or vice versa, you have to turn off and on. The other option is always enabled when you turn on your camera.

Thanks nac.
Right now the only thing I wanted from Chdk was to the ability to click pics at some regular interval.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks nac.
Right now the only thing I wanted from Chdk was to the ability to click pics at some regular interval.
Once you know what all you can do with the CHDK you will try more than intervalometer... :) Some simple features like displaying focal length, subject distance, dof, battery % I find it useful...

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
CHDK rocks, intervalomer is there using scripts and has tons of settings. There is also motion based trigger for bird and wildlife shots, super long shutter upto 30min, and tons of other stuff.

You can set it so that flipping the lock switch on the card loads CHDK. So put in a new card or flip the switch and you are back to factory firmware.

sujoyp

Grand Master
It would be so much better if nikon could enhance the interface...with a simple menu and advance menu..I am not able to find simple feature as bracketing in D7000 ...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It would be so much better if nikon could enhance the interface...with a simple menu and advance menu..I am not able to find simple feature as bracketing in D7000 ...
You've been using Nikon DSLR for a long time. You should be used with the interface by now.

sujoyp

Grand Master
When I was super enthusiast and had lots of time , I had the simple D3100 which was enough...now as I am slowing down I have D7000 with soo many features ;)

Anyways I can just assign the bracketing feature to custom button..and use it without digging down :D ..but still in the age of beautiful colorful icons we are living in small black and yellow icons on our beloved DSLR ;)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Yup, the firmware seems to be a huge bottleneck on all DSLRs. In my sony the wifi functions means that you should be able to do a ton of stuff. But its limited by the UI that sony gives. Same for the apps and features

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
When I was super enthusiast and had lots of time , I had the simple D3100 which was enough...now as I am slowing down I have D7000 with soo many features ;)
I really want a camera with lot of knobs and dials. It's really frustrating to dig into the menu when I need to change settings.
No one using custom firmware on their SLRs??
I don't think many have a choice to use anything other than the stock firmware.
CANON PATENT MIRRORLESS Canon Patent For Switch To Change DSLR To Mirrorless?
lol what kind of switch is that...if they add a mirror inside it again become big and heavy
These rumour mill never stops. Most of these product never see the light, even if it does by then we would have forgotten about it. But again as Sujoy said, it will still be bigger and heavier than the MILC.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
I really want a camera with lot of knobs and dials. It's really frustrating to dig into the menu when I need to change settings.

I don't think many have a choice to use anything other than the stock firmware.

These rumour mill never stops. Most of these product never see the light, even if it does by then we would have forgotten about it. But again as Sujoy said, it will still be bigger and heavier than the MILC.

there is always an option ;)

CHDK Wiki - Wikia

I have used the CHDK on a 600D. I was simply blown away by the versatility of the software.

- - - Updated - - -

*wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq

this is for the SLRs.

CHDK is for PowerShot cams

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Haven't tried Magic lantern, but if its as good as CHDK then it should be on everyone's list.

There was a project to make a custom firmware for Sony cams but it seems to have died

Top Bottom