Camera below 30k

tkin

Back to school!!
lols.. I read this the other way around :p. Thanks.
Anyways, the reason why I'm considering this is I used sx50hs and I don't think I'll be satisfied by the image quality it provides. The problem is that I rarely do portraits.. Won't the 18-55 mm lens be good enough for most stuff? I think I can really use a DSLR.. But can't spend more than 30k now.. :-(
18-55 offers no zoom and macro, so, if I were you I'd not buy it, a DSLR without macro and tele is useless to me, least you could do is get D5100 is 18-105 lens and a macro lens. 18-55 is only uselful for portraits and the likes.

If you have 30 budget you can do one of these:

A. Get FZ200
B. Get a DSLR and add some lenses later(within this year).

OP
raj_55555

raj_55555

Journeyman
Thanks tkin, I appreciate your responses.. But aargh!:cry: I'll go crazy.. What would be the minimum lens required for say shooting something 50 meters away?

BTW I just saw your PM.. Do you still need a reply?

tkin

Back to school!!
Thanks tkin, I appreciate your responses.. But aargh!:cry: I'll go crazy.. What would be the minimum lens required for say shooting something 50 meters away?
Have no idea, ask DSLR users, like sujoyp, another guy who lives in bonn(check the photography thread).

BTW I just saw your PM.. Do you still need a reply?
No, I got the laptop already :p :p

sujoyp

Grand Master
ok soo u guys r taking too much of tension, it seems :D

Macro lens is useless if u do not shoot macros...from last 1 year I didnt have time or patience to shoot any :(

why dont u get D3100 +18-55 +Tamron 70-300 combo ....it will cost around 33k and it will cover wide+portrait+300mm zoom +2:1 macro

problem solved :)

now dont tell me that u love D5100 and its what u want to get :D :D you cant have everything togather at same time

OP
raj_55555

raj_55555

Journeyman
ok soo u guys r taking too much of tension, it seems :D

Macro lens is useless if u do not shoot macros...from last 1 year I didnt have time or patience to shoot any :(

why dont u get D3100 +18-55 +Tamron 70-300 combo ....it will cost around 33k and it will cover wide+portrait+300mm zoom +2:1 macro

problem solved :)

now dont tell me that u love D5100 and its what u want to get :D :D you cant have everything togather at same time

:p I don't love it, but how much will d5100 + 18-55 + 70-300 cost? I guess I'm getting greedy, but I figure 70-300 will cost me 8k if I take it separately. So maybe I will get that in 4-5 months later, and get d5100 + 18-55 now. How about that?
I have taken a lot of shots using sx30is and sx50hs , but seeing the DSLR's quality I really think I can do much better. Let me know your opinion.

BTW D5100 doesn't have auto-focus motor (I don't know much about it), will that matter?

sujoyp

Grand Master
A D5100+18-55+Tammy 70-300 will cost you 5k more ....look greed have no end ...then maybe you will think y should you go for a non VR non-AFS lens like tamron when you can get a Nikon 55-300 for 7k more ...it will go on like this :D

Yes DSLR quality is just too good...if you love photography DSLR is the way to go.

D5100 dont have focus motor...but I dont think it matters much...almost all modern lenses have inbuilt motor....the focus motor is a disadvantage if u have old lenses..or you are planning to get old used lenses...BTW canon too dont have motor in any of there DSLRs

OP
raj_55555

raj_55555

Journeyman
A D5100+18-55+Tammy 70-300 will cost you 5k more ....look greed have no end ...then maybe you will think y should you go for a non VR non-AFS lens like tamron when you can get a Nikon 55-300 for 7k more ...it will go on like this :D

Yes DSLR quality is just too good...if you love photography DSLR is the way to go.

D5100 dont have focus motor...but I dont think it matters much...almost all modern lenses have inbuilt motor....the focus motor is a disadvantage if u have old lenses..or you are planning to get old used lenses...BTW canon too dont have motor in any of there DSLRs

Lobhe paap, paape mrittyu.. If you know what I mean :p
Thanks for clarifying about the motors. I think I will get D5100, and the tamron one a couple months later.. :)

I don't know what VR is though.. It's google time.

________EDIT__________
Hey something just hit me, what if I buy used lenses? Will that be such a bad idea?

sujoyp

Grand Master
no ...used lens is not at all a bad idea...I am using 3 used lenses myself namely Tamron 17-50,nikon 50mm and nikon 55mm micro

Just check the lens properly before getting...its a risk of your own ;) someone was selling 55-300 AFS VR for 12k some days back in other forum...that was a good deal

actually u can get everything used if u want since D5100 is just 2 years old..
but still u maynot fit everything in 30k

OP
raj_55555

raj_55555

Journeyman
no ...used lens is not at all a bad idea...I am using 3 used lenses myself namely Tamron 17-50,nikon 50mm and nikon 55mm micro

Just check the lens properly before getting...its a risk of your own ;) someone was selling 55-300 AFS VR for 12k some days back in other forum...that was a good deal

actually u can get everything used if u want since D5100 is just 2 years old..
but still u maynot fit everything in 30k

I will try to stretch the budget as much as possible. Are second hand cameras/lens being sold on this forum? Could you please post the link?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Sorry I dont visit the buy sell of TDF forum....I use jjmehta.com/forum buy sell segment to buy used camera equipments

but I would say ,the risk u have to bear :)

best is if u can personally check the items, you live in which city?

canon 600d sale
WTS:Canon T1i body with 2 lenses (18-35mm & 55-250mm) PRICE REDUCED

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I'd really recommend the D3100 over the FZ200 anyday if you are not too interested in extreme zoom. The only thing that can beat a DSLR in IQ (at a particular price point) is another. Not that the FZ200 is bad in anyway, infact its awesome, but still cannot match a DSLR in terms of IQ.

And regarding your question on shooting something 50m away, it all depends on how big you want the object to be. But as a general (very general) estimate, expect to see the same "magnification" as your eye at about 50mm (50mm focal length of the lens).

OP
raj_55555

raj_55555

Journeyman
expect to see the same "magnification" as your eye at about 50mm (50mm focal length of the lens).
Hey, could you clarify this part please?

BTW I was interested in super zoom, but after using sx50 I understood that it's one of those things that you just want to try once. I know it's a controversial question, but what would you pick D3200 or D5100? I am not reading too much into megapixels but the customer feedbacks of D5100 on Nikons website wasn't very promising. There were a lot of complains of blackouts, improper focus and easy breakage.. Care to comment?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yeah, sure. I knew the moment I posted that reply that it was very vague. Let me explain.
Ever noticed how the output from your phone camera shows everything smaller than how they appear to the naked eye? Of course you can zoom in to 100% magnification and get a bigger picture, but I am talking about the case when you are viewing the whole picture at once.

Before proceeding see this pic
IMG_0158 copy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Standing at the same point as the camera, I saw everything as large as that picture shows. Its called 'angular magnification' and to the best of my estimates I feel that at 40-50mm a lens (over a APS-C sensor) is very close to angular magnification of the human eye.

Between the D3200 and D5100 I strongly vote for the D5100. In fact I'd go so far as to say that avoid the D3200. Others might have different opinions but I find the D3200 and D5200 to be much inferior to D5100 when it comes to IQ. The specs tell you a different story, but I'd trust my eye over paper-specifications any day.

Here is my best advice. Go to some showroom, try a DSLR, take a few pics, observe how they come out. You wouldnt want to settle for anything less thereafter. Unless you are a zoom-freak. Build is solid for the D5100, better than Canon equivalents. It has slight issues at focusing at low light but so has every other price-comparable DSLR, with the Canons edging marginally ahead here.

OP
raj_55555

raj_55555

Journeyman
Wow! Nicely explained man.. I was almost determined on the D5100, the negative customer feedbackson the nikon page gave me a few hiccups.. I guess I'll go for that one for now.. Looking for a good second hand deal right now, if I can't find anything I'll get a new one.

Top Bottom