Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
OK, back to the topic.

I found a nice tutorial by our senior member / Mod batty in the tutorial section of TD forum. I emailed him asking permission for adding it in the wiki and he happily gave me permission to do so.

I will add the content (it is about spyware, malware etc) in the wiki - of course giving link and credits to him.

@others

Please feel free to suggest / modify the categories and order when you get time. Also, as Kl@w-24 suggested, if we can be online at a specified time, we can do it together too.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
For those who want to know what is there in the text book (IT text book of Grade 10 students of Kerala), you can download the entire text book form here. I mean we can omit the sections which are already in that text book. And do not worry, it is in English.

Download link - The IT text book (13 pdf files, total size 5.9 MB)

Download link - The IT text book (Single zip file contains 13 pdf files, zip file size 5.5 MB)

The text book is already available online for free download, so I am not violating any rules.

Last edited:
^^
Great :)
How big is it? Since I dont want to waste my day-quota of downloads if it's too big (ie. I'll check it out at night :) )

I'm thinking of changing the layout of the main page, something a bit more friendly to both admins and casual users (like say, resembling the main page of wikipedia)

I'm also thinking of adding a separate space for admins, where they can just edit the content to state what changes they have done/doing. Something like "For admins only" kind of portion of the page. Maybe that can help all of us keep track of everything, since not all of us are online at the same time :)

Is this OK with you'll? I'm open to any changes you'll feel I have to make

I've not posted anything yet, since I havent got used to the wiki syntax, but I'll do so soon. :)

EDIT:

I just performed most of the changes on the site. I'm waiting for a response to see if it's good enough, as I've backed up the original page just in case :D

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@thewisecrab

Thank you. I added one more download link, also specified the size in the previous post.

Regarding your ideas, please do it. I see the changes and I liked them. Will wait for other users comments on this.

Regarding the change-log, sure a good idea. But I think we have two options, by clicking the 'history' link of each page, we will be able to see the changes made. But if that is not admin-friendly, shall we make a separate page instead of putting the log in main page ?

I am suggesting because, if we keep adding the changes, the main page will be very long. Instead, give a link from the main page to a change-log page ?

What do you think ? This is just a suggestion. Please feel free to comment on.

^^
I just thought since it's the main page, and that most admins have to edit it to include more articles, having the change log in the same will make the work less tedious, ie. everything will be in one page :)

IMO. it doesn't matter if it turns out to be long, we can always cut-paste it on a new page after everything is ready.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
OK, I was waiting for the members suggestion. I totally agree with you, but the only thing I am against the main page idea is, the wiki is viewed by admins and other people as well. So if the page is really long (with the logs), it may not be a nice thing, I mean home page taking much time to load (yes I agree it is just plain text), so I thought we will keep the main page small.

But open to suggestions, others, please comment on.

On a different note, started bugging some of my friends, some senior members who left TD forum etc :) Hope more people join the wiki.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Found some good articles in wikipedia today. Related to blogs, forums, the common terms used etc. Will select some content from those and will add to our wiki.

Not going to teach too much theory on this, instead, planning to show them forums, blogs etc and show them examples.

amitash

Intel OCer
This is a really nice thing you are doing...

Firstly try and make sure whatever they learn from their school textbooks arent pure BS or outdated...some quotes from my 12th std textbook:

Hackers are evil people with bad intentions who try to break into other computers and create havoc by doing things like erasing data
Nowadays L2 cache is located on the motherboard
Latest processor by intel is pentium 4
not to mention numerous syntax errors in programs they have given and still numerous wrong definitions...would have quoted more but ive forgotten most of it.

EDIT:

You posted this in your wiki:
GPU - Simillarly to the RAM but also Processes Information Needed to Display/Render The Current Scene to Display in the screen .
This is not entirely correct...A GPU is not similar to the RAM at all, its simply an explansion device used to render graphics or the current display and send it too the monitor via a cable like the vga, DVI, HDMI etc...The processor in this case, simply feeds the required data to the gfx card or gpu which then does the processing, thus it offloads rendering work from the cpu.

Also in the internet section, i sugget you add a download manager wiki, so the students can get the fastest out of their net connections...try some free ones like FDM and Flashget

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@amitash

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Yes, AFAIK, the IT text book of 10th grade students was prepared in 2004 ! So you can imagine how much outdated it will be - as things change in a matter of seconds in IT.

And thanks for explaining the term - GPU. Actually it was not added by me, there are about 10 members now, I couldn't go through it fully, but will do a review this weekend. Thanks again for pointing out the mistake. It really helps as it will not be a nice thing to teach the students what is partially true.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Update - July 6

Image upload facility has been added in the wiki, as some visitors / admins were complaining about file uploading sites, I mean some sites are blocked etc. Now we can keep all images in the same site itself (wiki site).

Not expecting a huge number of files / very large images, so it should not be a problem. And if needed, I will increase the webspace / bandwidth as well.

You can find it in the left side - Toolbox -> Upload file.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Thank you Amitash, Max and Liverpool fan. I see the recent updates in Wiki.

This is coming up good, I have some other ideas, will post soon.

Aspire

Padawan
Voted for Ravi.
Krazzy's is just a modification of Ravi logo and personally i think that the logo looked better before the modifications by Vaibhav.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
OK, put the logo which got max votes (may change later !).

Edit - LOL Ravi and Max with same number of Votes ! What to do ?

Back to the topic :

Called the IT teacher again and got some more info, I mean on what they are learning now. Will post details soon.

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
OK, regarding the 'Computer Internals' section.

That is covered in the syllabus, but not in very detail. I talked to the IT teacher and he told me they show the parts of the PC in lab / class.

But nothing like a live demo of PC assembling and install of OS. So I am planning to get all parts and will buy if there is anything missing and will guide them in assembling a PC. Also planning to show the parts which are not in the school lab.

Like sound card, graphics card etc.

Talked to Manan and we have an idea of live interaction session with the people behind this. I mean students interacting with the members who contributed in the wiki. I am not sure how it will go but if there is lag in Video, we can go for an audio session.

By doing it, we can give them an idea that it is a group effort and people from different parts of the World (two are from USA, one from Middle East and rest all scattered all over India) are trying to help the students.

Last edited:
Top Bottom