Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@MetalheadGautham

No, this is not for the students, I mean this is only for us who are creating the syllabus. Introduction to forums, wiki, cms, blog etc will sure be there in syllabus, but this site is only for making the syllabus for that.

I was in favor of Tikiwiki, but majority suggest we can go for mediawiki instead. I mean not a huge one to maintain. Tiki is good but we may not be able to manage it, really big and we will not need even half of its functionalities.

This website is hosted with hostgator. Running cost I am not very sure, it is under a reseller package, but I can manage the cost, that part is ok.

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Eight people joined so far. Any other members want to join and help us making the syllabus, please post your suggestions / comments here.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@din, I was thinking...when this thing starts, students would ask u lotsa questions. How about collecting them (as far as u remember) and make a FAQ in the wiki page?

And I was going through the topics u've mentioned. Thing are going very in depth. Do u think a 10th standard student would be able to grasp all those in a year (or how many months u r projecting?).
Again not everyone would be same interested or may drop out (as its not their syllabus and they won't get any numbers for it, u know parents).

I say, devide this in three stages.
Basic
Mid
and Advanced.

In basic: (i) Computer Internals. Everybody at that age are clueless about them. Means, they always want to what's in there but fear that they may cause any harm to the PC if they open/touch anything there. So a peek under the hood, which part is what. Why its used? (Don't describe them in advanced lingo, as they might loose interest)
(ii)Mails: everyone needs it. Needs very little knowledge to understand and implement.
(iii)Social Networking: It has touched everyone irrespective of age (my land lord's daughter might be aged of 8-9 yrs is hooked to Orkut!!!). Make them know how to use it and what are the dangers of it.
(iv)Chat clients: Gtalk, MSn Chat, Yahoo, RedifBol, Skype etc.
(v)Netiquettes: Very important.
(In this part I've concentrated only on external apps. i.e. if anyone has learnt till now he/she can do this much of things without knowing anything else about a PC. A cyber cafe would b enough of their needs)

[If taken one class a week of 1-1.5 hrs, this would take 6-7 classes. PC Internals (3 class), Mails (2 class), Social networking (1 class), Chat Clients and Netiquettes (1 calss). Till then u would come to know, if u r hit ya miss (there is chance of getting flop for every noble cause). If u find that majority is still interested move to mid level Gyan.

Medium: (i)OS: What is it. Not in technical terms (but if ur students r that intellegent u can give a bit idea but don't bore them). Which kinda present, free paid. Diff. between Win, Lin and Mac. (B/w what is ur target in OS? What do u expect ur students to learn in this phase?)
(ii)Multimedia Apps: They are different depending on OS. So they need to learn OS first. Then which app. can be found where and how to use them. WinMediaPlayer (as 90% of them would use them), VLC (u'll introduce them to it), QuickTime (for MAC only, as its a default player). Anything else if u like. (R u considering image editing s/w, audio or video editing s/w here?)
(iii)Browser and AddOns: Browser alone can be taught in Basic part but as soon as the AddOn thing comes it needs a bit special attention from u and ur students. So, keep it reserve for the interested ones only, thats why I'm mentioning it in mid stage. What all browsers? Why do u need a diff. browser than IE. Add ons? Recommend some and teach how to configure and use. (Download helper tools, themes, adblock, (don't provide noScript), FoxyTunes, colorful tabs, fast dial, hyperwords etc. I recommend)

[OS 2 classes, Multimedia 2 classes, browser 2 classes (3-4 browsers, diff, why, how, and add ons); total 6 classes. Till now u've covered 3 months]

Advanced: (i)Basic and advanced HTML Authoring.
(ii)Forums, Blogs And Wikis: First they need to learn how webpages work. Then how they are created, then Forums, blogs and wiki.
(iii)Online storage: I've put it in advancedas they should first know what they can create with computers, they only they would think of storing them and necessity of accessing them from anywhere. CV, personal photographs, any other important docs. Teach what are things dat comes under piracy and can't be put in online storage (MP3s, vdo songs, ebooksetc)
(iv)Google Apps: There is an add on for FireFox (GUtil) which consists all the apps that Google provide.
(v)Search engines: Only google is not enough. Teach which kinda search engines are present. Different ones for diff. need.
(vi)Windows Live: I'm not sure about it. I'm very less informed about its uniqueness.

[HTML authoring(1-2 class) depending upon to which level u want them to take. Forums, BLogs and Wiki (2 classes), Online storage(1 class), Google apps(1 class if only important ones, 2 class if a bit more and 3-class if all tools), Search engines (1 class); total 9 classes]

Till now u've covered 5 and half months. If u don't want to be hurried then a few topics can be stretched.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@rhitwick

Detailed post, loved that. Thank you for the suggestions.

I always wanted to make this a group effort, coz my ideas may not be correct always. When a group of people work behind something like this, I am sure the result will be good too. Always open to suggestions, criticism and ideas, so I am happy to go through the posts.

The categories, I just added it, I knew that they may not be in a proper order. Added them just as a starting.

Ok, regarding the timings, I am yet to fix that, I mean need to consult with the teachers there, already consulted and they are very happy about the plan, but didn't fix the timings.

FAQ in wiki - sure a good idea. Will do that. Will keep adding questions and answers after each class, so other members will get an idea what they ask and how I answered (then people can suggest and comment on it too).

Regarding the three levels, again a good idea and I agree with you in that. The very simple things and basics can be taught first and depending upon the response / interest of the students, can move to other levels.

And yes, there is a chance this may fail, I mean if students lose interest or they think like this training will not get me a job etc, I am aware of that. But planning to present this in a nice manner to them first so that I will get the response and can move ahead based on it. I am planning to filter the students (mostly the IT teachers will do it) and get a small group f students. Like 16 or 20 max. In that case we will have better control. Will ask them to share what they learnt with other students of the class.

OS - No, I never meant to make it complicated. What my idea is, teach them how to partition hard disk, how to install Windows, how to install Linux and how to run Live CDs. I think it will not be a complicated thing for them. Not planning to go in depth of OS, just basic install, basic configurations. I am sure none of them have OS install or Live CD run experience, so I hope they will like it.

Regarding the computer internal section - Yes, I was thinking on the same lines as you. I know some of the software engineers/ engineering students who never tried opening the cabinet of a PC !! They think it is something very complicated or if we open it will all get messed up. So my plan is get an old PC somehow (do not want to do much experiments on the school lab PC lol), take out all the parts and ask them to assemble it themselves. I mean only after giving proper directions and also helping them during the assembling. The OS install class can be taken after this.

Advanced HTML authoring - I added it as a category coz, they already learn HTML as part of their school syllabus. But they have no clue on simple CSS or simple javascript codes. Again not going in depth in that, but can show them how a page will become neat and tidy if we use css in that.

Regarding blogs, wiki etc - yes, we should teach them in the advanced session only. That also, nothing like installation or more on admin side. Just the usage, how to post in a blog, comments, wiki, forum,what are all things to taken care of etc.

Multimedia apps - Considering only basic ones. They are learning GIMP basics already. So may be simple image editors, video players, VLC etc. Just the installation and usage, nothing complicated.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Looks like I'm late :p

I see people planning for things to be done maybe 2-3 years down the line. Let us not forget that our (yes I'm in) target population does not know a JACK about computers.

Better starting out with something like what's a PC ?
It's components, not too technical, but enough to at least know the names and a line or two about their function. This will help in remote troubleshooting.

Using PCs for simple tasks:
  1. Making notes - gedit, kwrite, notepad
  2. Listening to music, watching a movie
  3. How to use tutorial CDs or DVDs (those exe ones)
Will keep adding....

How about using Joomla! instead of a wiki. It has a built in editor, tiny mce. You can directly copy & paste html from kompozer or any other WYSIWYG editor if you wish to do so. I can give you a demo if you like.

If the wiki is going to be in Malayalam I don't know how much I can contribute. Will need a translator.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I can contribute for Programming and Linux. Can I be of any use? (Python and C I am versed with)

And how about Wordpress as CMS? It can work vey well, has great SEO and looks good as well.

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@NucleusKore np :)

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I agree we should start from the very basics.

And yes, the CD, DVD, I think we can make a new category - External media. CD, DVD, USB drives, external HDD etc can be shown in that. Also CD burning, making different types of CDs etc - sure a good idea.

And No, wiki is not in malayalam. It is in English, please do not worry. As I mentioned before, wiki is set for us, for making the syllabus, it is not for the students.

We selected wiki coz the members can edit / modify all pages very easily and we can always revert to any versions - if something goes wrong.

@Liverpool_fan - Please check pm too.

Thank you very much, sure, please join.

Regarding the topics, Linux - will be great. But programming is not planned in the first phase. They are learning Basic programming (I mean the computer programming language called - Basic) in Linux. That is called something like Blassic or so. They are not learning much, just the very beginning. Anyway we can sure plan teh programming in the next phase - after analyzing the response of the students and after checking their capabilities. What do you think ?

Aspire

Padawan
Try this logo out for your site.
*www2.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/6594fa96d9b2062f0ac05276ea0494962g.jpg
Click to download

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I went through the Wiki. I wanted to know, do we actually write and post chapters there? or just course outlines/subheadings?

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@NucleusKore

What my idea was (please correct if it not good), first list the categories (mostly done, but please feel free to add / modify / change order), then add the main points under each categories and then add more details. If we add it / expand it as chapters, that will be really great too.

Right now only the 'Browser' section has some content. Other sections mostly points.

And I see - Linux and opensource - is missing as a category.

Also, it will be great if you share some tips on teaching as it will help me a lot when I go there. Either through this thread or in wiki itself. I do not know the latest trends and techniques of teaching, I mean students and their way of thinking might have changed a lot these days !

Also, I am planning like less theory, more practical. Or theory through practicals. Is that a good method ? Please comment on.

For example, open up a PC cabinet and show them the parts, explain it, allow them to remove it, help them assembling it etc.

@NucleusKore

What my idea was (please correct if it not good), first list the categories (mostly done, but please feel free to add / modify / change order), then add the main points under each categories and then add more details. If we add it / expand it as chapters, that will be really great too.

Right now only the 'Browser' section has some content. Other sections mostly points.

And I see - Linux and opensource - is missing as a category.

Also, it will be great if you share some tips on teaching as it will help me a lot when I go there. Either through this thread or in wiki itself. I do not know the latest trends and techniques of teaching, I mean students and their way of thinking might have changed a lot these days !

Also, I am planning like less theory, more practical. Or theory through practicals. Is that a good method ? Please comment on.

For example, open up a PC cabinet and show them the parts, explain it, allow them to remove it, help them assembling it etc.

Regarding teaching, I guess you could use an analogy as practical as possible, like how I use to teach my cousins, friends, etc.
PM'ed you how I generally do it.

You could change it, since I still haven't figured out how to teach about the functioning of the Internet, mobo, through that, but I'm still working on it :)

Theory through Pracs is the way to go, will lead to a more hands-on approach. Dont make it too technical or boring by bombarding them with everything about the mobo all at once, it'll lead to more sleepy heads and yawns in class :D

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Great initiative. :)

I'd like to join as well. I can contribute a bit in most of the categories currently listed. :p

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
I like to Join , But reading this whole thread is reading like theory Book on my Masters Degree - woah big paragraph :lol:

Din u r in cochin near to me - i ll come there for an interview next month

Say what to do ??

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
I was writing section for important addons of firefox in the site but my photoshop crashed the system when i started it so the content remains unsaved , my photoshop hangs whole system . i am sorry for that , i have compiled the set of images i just need it to be converted it to gif *rapidshare.com/files/248937956/IT_JAKALAM.zip.html please someone make this animation for completing my article for Add ons

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Ok, slightly offtopic

Krazzy Warrior and Aspire made two logos for the wiki website. Here are they - again.

Which one to go for ?
Err.. I don't think you can use any of these images as logos. They are HP machine. I suspect you may get into legal trouble if you put these images up. Lemme refer this to Nikhil (Verma) or Saurav (gx). They maybe able to help you with the logo :)

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@infra_red_dude

Oops, didn't notice that !! Thank you for pointing out. Kl@w-24 sent one more logo. OK, those who are helping us creating the logo for wiki, please do not use such images ok ?

@thewisecrab

Thank you. I will keep it in mind. Meantime, you meant the pm you sent on the other day or you are planning to send ?

@Kl@w-24

Thank you, please join. Sent pm with the details.

@damngoodman999

Sorry for my big posts, sometimes I do not know how to make it short ! Please join and contribute what you can. Always welcome.

Coming to Cochin next month ? Hope to meet you in person then :)

@max_demon

I downloaded the file, you are adding text in the wiki ? Or you want to make the images to a single gif file ?

NikhilVerma

Padawan
*img23.imageshack.us/img23/9506/logojcf.png

Here is something that I came up in 15 mins, not the best font choice I know. Just putting my card on the table :) Feel free to ask for changes if you like it

Top Bottom