Call of Duty : Ghosts

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Re: Call of Duty : Ghosts announced

That was until they were hyping it up as a brand new engine, even a guy like Vickybat fell for it, see how smart these men in suit are ;)

But we didn't. Goes to show something ;)

Point is, if IW is trying to show something off, chances are, it has already been done commercially a long, long time ago.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

What choice does the man have? He's running a website, has visitors all the time, he has no other choice than to cater both sides, its pure business. That's the reason we should never trust journalists like these, *cough* Geoff Keighley *cough*

It was flat out clear how bad the Ghosts reveal was, when was last time we saw Infinity ward or any other cod developer talk so much about the technology behind their games? DICE or Guerrilla games didn't even bother focusing so much on the tech, that's the kind of confidence they have on their work, meanwhile, Infinity Ward shows off the age old tech like 'character rigs in maya, a 1995 tech', 'fake as$ lighting system, which has the sun at one point and the rays forming from another direction', 'the unbelievable idiot FISH AI' and so on, and calls all this the next generation technology.

Well that comment wasn't made by the author. It was another comment in that page itself. ;)

About the bold part, you're talking about the second screenshot in that page right?
Well there was no sun visible but only the rays filtered through the flora. Am i missing the sun in that screenie?

If the other's aren't bullshots or cgi, then i find a striking resemblance with BF3 including the character models. BF4's models are in a whole different level though.
But its not hard to comprehend that its indeed a big improvement from MW3, new engine or upgraded.

cyborg47

Technomancer

*www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Untitled-COD-Ghosts-Lighting.jpg

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^ This should answer all your questions:

Anti crepuscular rays

This phenomenon only happens during sunrise and sunset. I guess in that video, it was a sunrise. Game developers seem to take these things in account.

Besides, that could also be reflected light from the surrounding flora. Developers aren't that dumb and they do take into account on every little things in the real world.

Last edited:

cyborg47

Technomancer

Dumb :|
1. That's clearly not a sunrise or a sunset. Probably around 11am in the morning, that sort of an angle. Clearly not a sunrise or set.
2. So according to that wikipedia page, those rays are supposed to be coming off from the opposite direction, which is not the case in the video. Since its not sunrise or set, there's no possibility of Anticrepuscular rays to happen at all.

darkv0id

Journeyman

Anti crepuscular rays are supposed to opposite the direction of the sun, which is clearly not the case here.

Edit: Damn Cyborg beat me to it.

cyborg47

Technomancer

Besides, that could also be reflected light from the surrounding flora. Developers aren't that dumb and they do take into account on every little things in the real world.

Nope, even if they had a big as$ mirror over there, it wouldn't create those kind of rays, coz they look like they're coming from far off from the sky. You're points are getting dumber one by one. Yes, the faora does reflect light, but that so minute compared to actual rays. wtf dude? :|

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Anti crepuscular rays are supposed to opposite the direction of the sun, which is clearly not the case here.

Edit: Damn Cyborg beat me to it.

Well it can be a mere reflection. Its a big rain forest and light is always scattered in these cases. You cannot draw a perfect conclusion here.
Opposite is a also a perspective. If you see that image in that wikipedia page, the rays appear on the right of the sun. It can be termed as opposite with respect to a person's perspective.
In that COD video, i guess the rays were on the left. Don't see why that isn't possible.

darkv0id

Journeyman

Nope, even if they had a big as$ mirror over there, it wouldn't create those kind of rays, coz they look like they're coming from far off from the sky. You're points are getting dumber one by one. Yes, the faora does reflect light, but that so minute compared to actual rays. wtf dude? :|

Yup.

AFAIK, those beams of light are usually the result of Tyndall Effect, plain and simple. None of that crepescular rays business.

EDIT: Yes, the light scatters in a rainforests, but not to the extent that it appears that the Tyndall Effect is happening due to an entirely new source of light.

cyborg47

Technomancer

If you see that image in that wikipedia page, the rays appear on the right of the sun. It can be termed as opposite with respect to a person's perspective.

This one?

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Anticrepuscularpano.jpg/798px-Anticrepuscularpano.jpg

Its a panoramic image, which obviously means its covering two opposite directions in one image.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

I don't think anyone can draw clear conclusions here. Atmospheric optics has several phenomenon. You can't explain things like that based on a single judgement.
You don't have to go to a rain forest to actually see the phenomenon.

This one?

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Anticrepuscularpano.jpg/798px-Anticrepuscularpano.jpg

Its a panoramic image, which obviously means its covering two opposite directions in one image.

Afaik, panoramic image simply has a wide aspect ratio and a very wide field of view. Nothing to do with opposite directions. :neutral:

cyborg47

Technomancer

I don't think anyone can draw clear conclusions here. Atmospheric optics has several phenomenon. You can't explain things like that based on a single judgement.

The point is, Infinity Ward isn't NASA, and they cannot and need not afford to go so deep with optics science just for a video game, its the kind of studio that spends less and earns more. Those extra lights were either a mistake, or pure laziness on IW's part to get the scene done.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Yup.

AFAIK, those beams of light are usually the result of Tyndall Effect, plain and simple. None of that crepescular rays business.

EDIT: Yes, the light scatters in a rainforests, but not to the extent that it appears that the Tyndall Effect is happening due to an entirely new source of light.

There are several phenomenon involved, not just one. Optics is a vast concept including atmospheric optics. My point is we can't pass judgement based on a single phenomenon.

cyborg47

Technomancer

Afaik, panoramic image simply has a wide aspect ratio and a very wide field of view. Nothing to do with opposite directions. :neutral:

Have you ever taken a panoramic image? Even the average android phones have that feature, get one and start capturing the image, circle around while the camera captures the entire thing, and stop when you've circled 180 degrees, what do you get? two opposite sides of the horizon, captured in one image...panorama :)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

The point is, Infinity Ward isn't NASA, and they cannot and need not afford to go so deep with optics science just for a video game, its the kind of studio that spends less and earns more. Those extra lights were either a mistake, or pure laziness on IW's part to get the scene done.

Nasa's business hasn't got anything to do with optics science.:neutral: Game developers do have to concentrate on these to give those realism aspects.
Describe real phenomenon in a game. I just see that happening. Its definitely not a flaw or laziness.

Have you ever taken a panoramic image? Even the average android phones have that feature, get one and start capturing the image, circle around while the camera captures the entire thing, and stop when you've circled 180 degrees, what do you get? two opposite sides of the horizon, captured in one image...panorama :)

But you can't conclude that you have to take all panoramic photos in a revolving fashion. It can be linear as well.

*i.imgur.com/WdmKLlz.jpg

This is NYC's skyline ( i guess). I don't think there's anything opposite in that view. They all are in the same linear plane with a wide field of view.

cyborg47

Technomancer

But you can't conclude that you have to take all panoramic photos in a revolving fashion. It can be linear as well.

*i.imgur.com/WdmKLlz.jpg

This is NYC's skyline ( i guess). I don't think there's anything opposite in that view. They all are in the same linear plane with a wide field of view.

Jesus Christ!! How can you take a panoramic image without circling!? That's the whole concept of capturing panoramic images, you capture images by circling around, the earth is round ffs! :|

And NO! That image isn't flat, its captured in just the way I told above, you circle, just because the image isn't complete doesn't mean its flat.

FYI, the image in the wikipedia page is a complete panoramic image. See how big it is compared to the NYC image you shared, the sunrise image is covering larger area, and hence, covers both the opposite sides of horizon. That's the very reason the image is shown in the page, as an example of 'Anticrepuscular rays' which again, means the rays that appear on the opposite side or the sun.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Jesus Christ!! How can you take a panoramic image without circling!? That's the whole concept of capturing images, you capture images by circling around, the earth is round ffs! :|

And NO! That image isn't flat, its captured in just the way I told above, you circle, just because the image isn't complete doesn't mean its flat.

Ok you circle only to achieve that wide FOV. But ultimately it appears in one plane right? You don't have rotate 360 deg always. Less than that can also give a wide FOV.

Panoramic photography is a technique of photography, using specialized equipment or software, that captures images with elongated fields of view. It is sometimes known as wide format photography. The term has also been applied to a photograph that is cropped to a relatively wide aspect ratio. While there is no formal division between "wide-angle" and "panoramic" photography, "wide-angle" normally refers to a type of lens, but using this lens type does not necessarily make an image a panorama. An image made with an ultra wide-angle fisheye lens covering the normal film frame of 1:1.33 is not automatically considered to be a panorama. An image showing a field of view approximating, or greater than, that of the human eye – about 160° by 75° – may be termed panoramic. This generally means it has an aspect ratio of 2:1 or larger, the image being at least twice as wide as it is high. The resulting images take the form of a wide strip. Some panoramic images have aspect ratios of 4:1 and sometimes 10:1, covering fields of view of up to 360 degrees. Both the aspect ratio and coverage of field are important factors in defining a true panoramic image.

A panorama of Sydney featuring (from left) the Sydney Opera House, the central business district skyline, and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Photo-finishers and manufacturers of Advanced Photo System (APS) cameras use the word "panoramic" to define any print format with a wide aspect ratio, not necessarily photos that encompass a large field of view. In fact, a typical APS camera in its panoramic mode, where its zoom lens is at its shortest focal length of around 24 mm, has a field of view of only 65°, which many photographers[who?] would only classify as wide-angle, not panoramic.

The idea is to capture more than your eye's FOV. So yeah , rotation of lens is involved. But you can also rotate from the extreme left to right ( standing still)and not necessarily turn to capture what's behind you.

On topic about COD, those rays didn't have to be behind the soldier.They were right there at his place and opposite from the sun in the soldier's perspective.
Even in that photo the sun was at left and the rays at right from a plane perspective. So yeah they were opposite.

Last edited:

cyborg47

Technomancer

Ok you circle only to achieve that wide FOV. But ultimately it appears in one plane right? You don't have rotate 360 deg always. Less than that can also give a wide FOV.

How is that adding anything to the point you're trying to make? :|

On topic about COD, those rays didn't have to be behind the soldier.They were right there at his place and opposite from the sun in the soldier's perspective.

Here's what I honestly think. That piece of line, is possibly the dumbest thing I heard on this forum, not the kind of thing people would generally expect from you. You either genuinely don't understand what's going on in the scene, or just trolling. There's sun, and there are the rays, they're not in the opposite directions...how in the god's world can they be opposite in the soldier's perspective? :|

Top Bottom