Calcutta Hardware Vendor Feedback Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Thank you so much, topgear, for such detailed advice. Three questions from my side: 1. Isn't there anything higher than Core i7 920 available in Kolkata? 2. Which CPU Cooler do you suggest within 5K (and available in Kolkata)? 3. I did purchase a Samsung 22X DVD Writer (not LightScribe) about 6 months back (after I had to retire my aging Sony DRU-720A), but it started giving troubles (writes DVD, but not CD!) within a couple of months. I did not find it worth my time to run around for a replacement since DVD Writers cost only about 1K these days. What is your alternative suggestion? I could not find LG GSA-H55N that I was originally looking for. What is your opinion about LightOne DVD Writers? I have a LightOne DVD-ROM Drive that has been working flawlessly for the last 5 years.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
core i7 965 may be available ( though I've doubt about that ) but it is not worth the price premium you will pay for it coz core i7 920 can be oced to even 4Ghz ( with some good cooling ) & with the stock cooling it reaches upto 3.2-3.4Ghz.

5K is some decent budget for a a cpu cooler though the availability of good core i7 coolers is very limited in here. BTW, you can get Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme for Rs. 3-3.5K. It was mainly built for socket 775 & am2 procs but newer versions comes with bracket for socket 7366 ie core i7. If you cann't find it contact here *www.theitwares.com & ask them if it comes with necessary connectors for core i7.
BTW, if you can not find one with core i7 connector then you can buy the connector only from www.lynx-india.com

For DVD writer I am using samsung sh-s223f ( two of those ) for 5 months now.
I really faced problem with Asus dvd writers. If you don't want to go for samsung then get LG H22N which is also good one. Liteon dvd writers doesn't have the quality once it has.

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Great! I think I shall settle for Core i7 920. I shall follow your advice for rest of the stuff too. Thanks again.

loktar

Broken In
guys as this is the hardware vendors forum i'll like to share my experience today....
i got palit 250 gts 512 mb from vedant today @ 7300 + vat:grin:
same card was quoted 8000+ at eastern logica and velocity....
i wanted to buy the gfx card on my citibank credit card but by what so ever reasons my transaction was'nt approved by citibank repeatedly ...:? embarassed i called up the citibank service and they couldnt resolve the probs...:-x

finally guys at vedant helped me out patiently and broke up that whole amount into multiple of 1000/- when after 7 swipes of thousand each the transaction was finally settled:razz: i am still at confusion how could this happen:shock:

i am not advertising but would like to say that guys at vedant show that they are the best in customer satisfaction in kolkata:smile:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Guys, in accordance to this thread I need ur suggestion of shops to buy this rig.

A few of my friends bought from Shaboo. Any other shop u would refer?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Try Shops like M.D., Vedant, Mohit, Computer World ( G.C. Avenue ), Eastern Logica
etc.

You can also try technocrat or velocity but the may be higher.

In short go to these shops with your config written on a paper & see which shop can offer you all the components @ best price :p

abhra

Broken In
Guys is there any shop that keeps Sandisk products, mostly its mobile products? A lot of shops says they don't keep them, Eastern Logica tried to push Kingston. Is there any shop where I can get it?

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
core i7 965 may be available ( though I've doubt about that ) but it is not worth the price premium you will pay for it coz core i7 920 can be oced to even 4Ghz ( with some good cooling ) & with the stock cooling it reaches upto 3.2-3.4Ghz.

5K is some decent budget for a a cpu cooler though the availability of good core i7 coolers is very limited in here. BTW, you can get Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme for Rs. 3-3.5K. It was mainly built for socket 775 & am2 procs but newer versions comes with bracket for socket 7366 ie core i7. If you cann't find it contact here *www.theitwares.com & ask them if it comes with necessary connectors for core i7.
BTW, if you can not find one with core i7 connector then you can buy the connector only from www.lynx-india.com

For DVD writer I am using samsung sh-s223f ( two of those ) for 5 months now.
I really faced problem with Asus dvd writers. If you don't want to go for samsung then get LG H22N which is also good one. Liteon dvd writers doesn't have the quality once it has.

Sorry folks for absconding for such a long time after my last post. The reasons are: first, I was too busy to get things moving, then the catastrophe - my old rig simply died! Today I borrowed a laptop from a friend (that may surprise some of you but, no, I do not have a second computer) and that is how I am able to post an update.
I got most of the components located for me by Vedant. They, particularly Randhir, have been very helpful and I would say they do care about the customers. Unfortunately, even after a lot of efforts they are as yet unable to locate any of the four alternatives I had for the monitor. However, the search is still on. I have already put in 50K as advance for the other components they have confirmed, and I hope to get the system up and running by Wednesday (my only off day!). Although I realize that some of the prices they have offered are a bit on the high side, I decided to go all the way with Vedant because they treated me so nicely and because I did not have the time to run around for finding the best price for each and every component. I stuck to most of the advices so kindly offered by TopGear, although not all. May be I am too greedy! I know I shall be at least 10K over my original budget if and when I get a monitor and CPU cooler of my choice, but my wife is not a member of this forum, so I am safe!
By the way, Supreme Computers, from whom I have purchased quite a few items in not so distant past, simply brushed me aside without showing any initiative to inquire around for the components I wanted.
Here is a list of the items I have been able to locate so far, thanks to Vedant (prices are all pre-VAT).

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (Stock Cooling, for now) Rs.13,800/-
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Rs.18,300/-
Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX285 Rs.24,500/-
RAM: 3x2GB Corsair 1333MHz DDR3 Rs.7,500/-
HDD: 2X500GB WD5000AADS Rs.5,800/-
Cabinet: CoolerMaster CMRC1100 Cosmos S Rs.15,300/-
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX Rs.14,500/-
KB and Mouse: Logitech MX5500 Revolution Rs.7,500/-
DVD Writer: LG GH22 (SATA) Rs.1,100/-
Speakers: Altec Lansing MX5201E Rs.7,200/-
Pendrive: Corsair Voyager GT 16GB Rs. 2,000/-

It seems I may have to make do with my more than 5 yr old CRT for the time being. But please friends, please, let me know of any vendor from whom I can get any one of the monitors BenQ FP241WZ, or LG L246Wp or any other 24 inch *-PVA, MVA or *-IPS panel within 30K. Vendor suggestions for CPU Cooler Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT are also welcome. CoolerMaster V8 is available. I am particularly hoping that TopGear will notice my post and may come up with some good advice. I shall post the final configuration @"Post Your Latest Purchase". Thanks.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
CM V8 cpu cooler is very good one @ Rs. 5.8K. So if you are willing to spend that much then get it.
Also TRUE 120 is also best in it's class @ Rs. 3K.

Tirupati Enterprises - For Thermal Right Products Line TRUE 120

11, Robert Street, 1st Floor,
Behind Indian Airlines Bldg,
Kolkata , West Bengal 700 012
Ranjit Singh
Phone: +91 33 22251192
Fax: +91 33 22251276

For CM Products --
Classic Computers
Shop #31, 3rd Floor
Near Marshall House
Kolkata G.P.O.
Kolkata -700001
Phone:
033-22104124, 033-22313726
Contact Person:
Anurag Shroff
Phone no 9831181658
Email-id:
classiccomp@eth.net

For monitors if you really don't find them just call their call center or send them a mail
BTW, you can also try dell 24 inch monitors.

For GFX card try to get Zotac GTX 295. It's around 32K & is better than GTX 285

For PSU get Corsair TX 750W @ Rs. 8.5K or Tagan BZ800 800W modular PSU @ Rs. 8K

Don't forget to check out this website :
*www.exoduspc.in

Last edited:

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Loads of thanks to you again TopGear for the prompt and detailed advice, which I am going to follow-up immediately. By the way, Vedant have already offered me CM V8 for Rs.5.3K +VAT, but isn't the ThermalRight model I mentioned any better? If not, I shall settle for CM V8. The other point is that I am suspecting that either of these coolers may foul with the 200mm fan on the side panel of CM RC1100 Cosmos S cabinet. Also, both are so heavy (with fan nearly a Kg!), will the physical strain on my Mobo be something to worry about?
As for Dell 24 inch monitors, 2408WFP UltraSharp costs way above my max budget for the monitor, and others like E247WFP and E248WFP are reported to suffer from serious input lags. They are not available in Kolkata anyway. I also considered Samsung 245T and HP LP2475W, none is available at the moment but can be imported. However, on one hand, I am unable to decide on the pros and cons of the Sammy and, on the other, the HP (an H-IPS panel - my dream monitor!), is quoted at 44K+VAT!
As for GTX295, the price premium is rather too high for my budget at the moment. In any case, I am sure price of GTX285 will come down sufficiently within the next half year or so, and then I may be able to afford a second GTX285 for SLI. That is the main reason why I picked Corsair 1000HX, and not 850HX. Erring on the higher side may be a safer choice for the PSU, or so I thought. Please let me know if that would be less bang for the buck (after six months, that is) compared to one GTX295 right now and 850HX, if available.
What do you think about the prices offered by Vedant? Are they more or less OK, or too high across the board? The Mobo price quoted is about 1K too high, I am sure, but they are not budging an inch!

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get the TRUE 120 & don't worry about the weight. The mobo can sustain it easily.
& it will not conflict with NB chipset or cabby fans. Can't say that about V8.

For gfx card get GTX 295 coz it's two GTx 275 sli-ed & slapped together it one PCB.
So in the future you can go for 2x GTX 295 as it's price will come down also & have quad sli rig.

GTX 285 in sli sure offers more performance than a single GTX 295 but 2x GTX 295 will smash all benches & you don't have to wait for another six month to enjoy the great benefit of sli. You will get that right out of the box :p

If you are going for 2x GTX 2xx cards in the future then get a PSU of 1000-1100W or else a 850W will suffice.

GTX 285 Rs. 22K - Palit & GTX 295 Rs. 31K - Palit.
GTX 285 Rs. 26K Zotac & GTX 295 Rs. 32K Zotac.

A GTX 295 with a 850W offers more bang for the bucks :p

For monitors if you are unable to find those of your choice then I think you should settle for TN palen based one :

BenQ G2412HD a 24 inch sexy sleek slender looking monitor @ only 12-12.5K ( My personal chioce ) :p
Samsung 2233SW 21.5" FULL HD @ 10k

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Thanks, you are a real pal! But now I am in a dilemma - to SLI or not to SLI, 1000HX or 850HX? I shall let myself lose a few nights sleep over that, then I may be able to make up my mind. Just kidding! But I sure need to think it over.
About the monitors, I want to avoid a TN panel if I can. I admit it is actually a matter of personal preference. I would rather use my old CRT (21 inch, Samsung SyncMaster 1100p Plus) till it becomes unusable or actually blinks out. If I still cannot find an LCD monitor with "better" panel technology, may be then I shall get a TN panel. By that time the LCD monitor prices will surely come down further. That may be the proverbial silver lining!

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, make up the decision on SLI or No SLi. BTW, I would still recommend GTX 295 as you are getting SLI right out of the box :p

About LCD Panels - it's not only personal preference. TN panel LCD are widely available & their price is also very cheap. But panels based on S-IPS, MVA, or S-PVA offers great color quality over TN panels.

But the best among of all of them is S-PVA. It offers great color & contrast quality :p

THE only catch with these expensive panels is their price & availability.

So if you want to stick with your current CRT then it's OK. But if you can't find any other alternatives then you should go for LCD ( even if it's TN ).

Modern TN panels offer good visual quality, contrast & brightness & who can forget about LCDTN panels great power savings & sexy sleek look :p

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Thanks for the input, buddy. I am also thinking of getting the Zotac GTX295 + Corsair CMPSU 850HX (if avialable) and forgeting about SLI altogether. I believe that would be within my current budget.
As for panel technology, my extensive search through the 'net tells me that H-IPS is the best (and most expensive), because it almost perfectly combines the better performance features of TN (Speed) and PVA (Color Accuracy and Viewing Angle). However, it is possible that my search results give an incomplete picture. One feature that I am keen on but forgot to mention earlier, is the capability to pivot to portrait orientation. If I finally settle for a TN panel, this feature (if available) may be the clincher.

Last edited:

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I have the following build in my mind, anyone please quote the Kolkata price (especially from Vedant, I heard they have the best deals there) for them,

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
  • Motherboard: MSI P43NEO-F
  • RAM: Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB Kit
  • HDD: Seagate 500GB SATA 3.5"
  • PSU/SMPS: GlacialPower GP-AL650AA
  • Cabinet: Coolermaster Elite-330 with Transparent Side
  • Graphics Card: Ati HD4850 / Ati HD4770 and nVidia GTS250

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
I don't Know if you are in a big rush. If you are not, you can come to Vedant on Wednesday when I am going to get my computer set up. I can introduce you to them and you can ask for the prices yourself and decide. If that is not possible, you can visit Vedant on any working day and see Randhir who is quite knowledgeable as a salesman. All of them are quite friendly and helpful. So best of luck with your price hunt.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I don't Know if you are in a big rush. If you are not, you can come to Vedant on Wednesday when I am going to get my computer set up. I can introduce you to them and you can ask for the prices yourself and decide. If that is not possible, you can visit Vedant on any working day and see Randhir who is quite knowledgeable as a salesman. All of them are quite friendly and helpful. So best of luck with your price hunt.
Actually, I can't be there on Vedant very soon since I'm from Jalpaiguri. So I guess I need to call them up and ask the prices one by one. Can you give me a mobile no. of this guy, Randhir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom