Calcutta Hardware Vendor Feedback Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

S!D

Monster Truck
This would be a place for people to give feedback on vendors (in Calcutta) they have dealt/interacted with.
We welcome all Positive/Negative feedback as long as it is constructive:D, in the sense that it should give all readers a clear knowledge and a more decided choice on which vendors to buy from.
Rather than all of us making the same mistake by going to the wrong shops over n over again:(, we can actually come up with a list of preferred vendors, who always give comparatively better price/support.

Looking forward to a whole lota inputs from all Calcuttans:) .

sabret00the

Youngling
good idea...I think this would help newbies get an idea as to where to go for their hardware requirements and where not to go...it'll also help other gather some good idea about the calcutta hardware market...
As far as I'am concerned I'd head to Supreme - The IT Mall,at the G.C.Avenue and Chittaranjan Avenue crossing when I need to buy a whole system for me or for my friends - I know they over-charge...well not to me:D ...so I dont need to worry...

I'd say when shopping for computer parts in Calcutta do your homework or shall I say field work...take quotations from individual stores before making ur decision...also check prices at online portals to get an overall idea...

for individual parts I usually look around in Chandni Chowk area and Lenin Sarani...mainly at Vendanth,Arihant,Rashi Peripherals,etc

Try to avoid places like Computer Exchange,Technocrat,etc...they'll seriously overcharge you...

OP
S!D

S!D

Monster Truck
sabret00the said:
Try to avoid places like Computer Exchange,Technocrat,etc...they'll seriously overcharge you...
Well even I used to hold the same opinion about Technocrat(the one in central ave).
But strangely enough, when I bot a pair of Creative Inspire 2.1speakers more than a month ago, they had given me the best price.
I got it for Rs 1700+Tax, whereas other places in chandni were as bad as Rs1900-2000. Supreme asked for Rs1850 and the didn't even have ready stock:confused: .
Even when I got my comp, technocrat was the only place other than supreme who could provide all the components(others like Saboo claimed they never even heard of an M2A-VM:eek:).
So I guess there is nothing like a vendor who wud gv u the best price always. U still gotta take the pain of asking around.

BTW.. did anyone notice? They are constructing some kind of a huge Computer/Electronics Mall right opposite Technocrat in Central Ave.
Will try to get more information if I can drop by over the weekend..

Last edited:

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
WHAT!!! technocrat doesent even have coolermaster stuff, and they dont even have asus stuff i think

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
Hey S!D..good that you created this thread. Waiting for Saurav to post real soon. Also why dont you post your experience, and what you bought from where.

OT: @Bobby...zinda hai kya bhai?

@sashijoseph...can you please post what you bought and what was the pocket pinch?

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
This is good thread started. I am unlucky that I will not get benefit to this thread. cause I am from Assam. however for those member who if any from Dibrugarh/Tinsukia Dist can Purchase computer components from Jain Computer. Tinsukia. I think there prices are are geuine. Recently I purchased
1. 400 W SMPS (frontech) - 450/-
2. 1 GB apacer pen drive Rs. 650/-
3. All in one card reader Rs.195/-
4. Frontech External TV tuner Card with remote - 1200/-
5. 4 port usb hub - 100/-
6. 80 gb Western Digital PATA hdd - 2000/-
7. FRONTECH SPEAKER 480w - 250/- (wITHOUT WOOFER)
NOT PURCHASED ASKED FOR PRICE
1. 80 GB SATA HDD 2150/-
2.160 GB STATA HDD 2350/-

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
Well as sabret00the said..do your homework/fieldwork as it would help a lot..
Keep one thing in mind while doing the homework is to get hold of the model number of the H/W which u intend to buy and also of those which the company has stopped production as of now..

It happened with me when i was on hunt for my SATA 3Gb/s HDD. The people at Lalani showed me a WD HDD of a make which the company had stopped production a year back...

As for shopping spare/replacement parts..well get quotes from around the shops and fix on one shop offering the best price and then try to bargain there a little bit..

Shops to just know the benchmark prices over which you should not go :
1.Supreme
2.Technocrat

That's all i can make out right now..hope this helps...:D

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
i bought my headset from technocrat they were giving it at the cheapest rate, although they were overpricing ram and stuff so i just decided to buy it from the net. besides does anyone know hows the logitech g7 planning to get that one

anyways cud someone check some stuff for me
xfx 650i ultra, price
core 2 duo 2.66ghz
case, need good cooling and good case budget round 2k +-
smps, 4k +- (for 8800gts 320mb)
very good cooler for core 2 duo 2.5kMAX
hard disk 250gig
a really long monitor plug the one used to plug to ur monitor
if possible all from one store

Last edited:

sabret00the

Youngling
rb_kaustuv said:
Keep one thing in mind while doing the homework is to get hold of the model number of the H/W which u intend to buy and also of those which the company has stopped production as of now..

It happened with me when i was on hunt for my SATA 3Gb/s HDD. The people at Lalani showed me a WD HDD of a make which the company had stopped production a year back...

Very very important point...this happened to me too...I had bought a WD 80GB Pata hdd back in 2005 from Supreme which carried 3 years of warranty from the vendor...it conked off about 3-4months back...I checked the serial number in the WD website and found it to be out of warranty...called up the helpline and the lady said that I'll have to email a scanned copy of the retailer's bill to them and then only they'll extend the warranty or give the harddrive to the retailer and get warranty from them...so I had to give the harddrive to Supreme....so guys my advice is be alert and watchout...

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
BULLZI said:
nice thread.keep it up Sid :).

dont anyone go to Velocity and Savera??

Long time no see..what's up Bullzi...???

Hey gaurav, Bullzi's here..remember???

Well last saturday (8-9-2007) gaurav,aryayush and me went to Savera.
Aryayush got a NetGear wireless router (WGR45..aryayush correct me if i am wrong...) for 1700(or 1800) inclusive of all taxes...
I got the APC BR-800 IN (800VA, 540W) SMPS for 4700 inclusive of taxes..

So people do go to Savera(It's the Rashi Peripheral outlet u see..):D

OP
S!D

S!D

Monster Truck
entrana said:
hey guys how much would a 2gb set of 800mhz memory cost me
entrana said:
anyways cud someone check some stuff for me
xfx 650i ultra, price..............
...........a really long monitor plug the one used to plug to ur monitor
if possible all from one store
:!: Wrong thread buddy..
This is a place where u post after u have purchased or have enquired to let us know about ur expirience with the vendor.
entrana said:
i bought my headset from technocrat they were giving it at the cheapest rate, although they were overpricing ram and stuff so i just decided to buy it from the net.
Can u fill in more details of the model# and which all shops u compared the prices with.

If u frequent Technocrat and/or have good terms with anyone there, please share contact details. That might help others when they visit this shop next time:smile:.
Also if the online shop gave u better price on the RAM, please do let us know which one u got and from which site.
And thanks for adding this point entrana..I believe this thread doesnt have to be limited to shops...we can also include feedback on online stores which deliver to calcutta.
entrana said:
WHAT!!! technocrat doesent even have coolermaster stuff, and they dont even have asus stuff i think
I'm not a big fan of Technocrat myself:eek:..but I dont think thats a way to judge a vendor..Supreme was the only vendor I have seen who showcase Coolermaster Cabby's in Calcutta. Please fill in if I am wrong:D..
And considering the kinda prices Coolermaster has, most ppl in calcutta still cant afford it.
And Technocrat do have a very good stock of ASUS products.
When I bot my PC, the ASUS M2A-VM was relatively new and hard to find.
Supreme and Technocrat we the two places who actually had stock.
Places like Saboo and Computer Exchange didnt even know it exists:p.
sashijoseph said:
I got a good deal from one Fashion Computers which is opposite Vedanta and at a lil distance from it.
Please tell us details on what date u got these.
That way, we can have someone second these prices with any better deals they might have received around the same time:).
As we all know, component prices fluctuate by the week if not by the day..
skghosh44 said:
This is good thread started. I am unlucky that I will not get benefit to this thread. cause I am from Assam. however for those member who if any from Dibrugarh/Tinsukia Dist can Purchase computer components from Jain Computer.
Buddy.. u r more than welcome!:D
We can use this as a platform to even compare prices in neighbouring states as well.
BULLZI said:
nice thread.keep it up Sid :).
Thanks buddy..
BULLZI said:
dont anyone go to Velocity and Savera??
give us some more feedback about..and location of these shops
gauravakaasid said:
Hey S!D..good that you created this thread. Waiting for Saurav to post real soon.
:D Arre saar, apnar moto mohan byakti amader ei gorib-khanay pododhuli diyechen..amara toh anonde utfullo hoye gelam:D :p
And yes, even I am waitin for Saurav to post..He's the one with the most content in this topic:)
gauravakaasid said:
Also why dont you post your experience, and what you bought from where.
will do soon..for now I am pasting what i have already posted somewhere else..
Saboo..man, really horrible service. The guy at the counter had no knowledge of products and had a strange affliction to suggest products of his own liking. In fact, they did not have any clue that the mobo & monitor I asked for, existed in the market. He even tried asking around to others in the shop. and a guy over the counter gave a smirk n said, "net pe kuch bhi dekh lete hain, aur sochte hai india mein mil jayega.."
After that, I dont think i'll visit that shop even if it gives out stuff for free.
Service matters..and Supreme does a good job on that.
-------------------------------
Here's my experience with supreme..
I got the prices on a Friday..when I was leavin the shop, a guy at the gate said he was from supreme customer support() and asked my reason of visit and if I got wat i wanted..
i filled up his little form and gave my ph.# as well.
Monday, I bot my comp, and on wednesday i get a call from cust support if my comp was havin any issues and asked for a feedback on the guy at the counter.
I know they r doin this for business, but I liked this service and I know they r not chargin me anythin for this.
They get my thumbs up.
----------------------------
contradicting my experience we had spitfire stating:
spitfire said:
Now let me tell you my experience with supreme !!!!!
2 years ago I bought a 6200 256 mb agp 8x card from them.
It wasnt working right.so the very next day I took it back to supreme for replacement.

Wanna know the reply I got ?????????? ~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy over the counter told me that it my mobos prob ,the card is allright (even before testing the card )
when I told that my older gfx card is working allright then answer was not all cards work with all agp ports. I told them that I have an AGP 3.0 AGP 8X PORT and the card a agp 3.0 8x card...then the reply was not all mobos work with all cards... (agin before testing the card )

I was in an impression that they are not rady to take back the card or replace it under any condition ... then I lost my temper...
after a lot of shouting .. they agreed to test it..and it was found to be faulty...

Horrible experience !!!!!!!!!
Wont ever buy from supreme again...
We are looking forward to more extensive feedback and experiences like this. And spitfire..next time please get the name of the person u spoke to and include it in the post.
Thanks to spitfire..I got an insight abt supreme that I never had to face..but its good now that I know it can actually happen to some one here.
If any of u guys think u got the wrong treatment or bad support in any shop...PLEASE post it here and definitely get the name of the person you spoke to. I'm sure we have some people who have good relations with selective vendors..we can actually help there.

For instance, me n Bobby have good terms with Supreme. So if u r facing any isuues with them(apart from prices;only on service and support) let us know, n we might be able to help u get a resolution. So guys, if anyone has good terms with any particular shop; please post it here n let us know.

Last edited:
OP
S!D

S!D

Monster Truck
Once we have sufficient data backing us up..I would like to Create a :mad:BLACKLIST & a :DGREENLIST of vendors and would keep updating it from time to time, based on an opinion POLL.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Nice thread...Keep it running...

If possible post the exact location of the places... (full address, how to reach there easily etc.)

sabret00the

Youngling
^^^Another vendor I'am extremely satisfied with is Jai Mahavira(Call:- 9433014651),who mostly deal in Zebronics,Leadtek,Biostar & Coolermaster(coming soon) and found their prices lesser than that of M.D.Computers...
I had my Zeb Platinum 500 psu which had conked off on me...and they actually gave me a substitute psu for the period while mine was sent to company for repairs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom