C/C++ Beginner's Guide and Post Basic Questions here

Neuron

Electronic.
I do remember some programs showing wrong output when run through DOSBOX.Don't remember which one though.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Dev c++ or microsoft visual c++ are the best IDE'S for c and c++. I recon they should be used by both novice and experienced programmers.

mitraark

Decrepit
I know this isn;t a C++ related question but i use Codeblocks for C++ , what to use for Python /? Ina tutorial they told to use "Eclipse SDK" PyDev but i cannot understand how to get that.

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Which OS?
For beginners' just use IDLE, and/or a simple text editor like vi/gedit/kate/notepad++ etc.
Yeah you can use Eclipse with PyDev but if will be an overkill for learning. If you want help with that, create a new thread. :)

EDIT: This will help *www.rose-hulman.edu/class/csse/resources/Eclipse/eclipse-python-configuration.htm

Neuron

Electronic.
Download Eclipse SDK.Then install the PyDev plugin.
Download Eclipse SDK 3.7 fromhere

Then go to 'Help' -> 'Install New Software' and put '*pydev.org/updates' in the 'workwith' box and press enter.Wait a while and the Pydev plugins will be listed.Select and install them.

EDIT:Nevermind :mrgreen:

tasamono

Broken In
^Actually i would say that depends on why are you learning the language, if you are learning to pass a school/college test or just to build a basic competency then IDLE might be the preference.
However if you are trying to learn industry level app development, then you can directly try for eclipse or other advanced IDEs, particularly when you already have a brief idea of any other language or already have a clear understanding of "object" orientation.
The best and easiest way will be to install a good linux distribution, most of them have inbuilt gcc complilers and you can make use of some powerful text editors like VIM, emacs etc. This will not only build your programming skills but also provide you familiarity with Unix tool chains which is very essential in the industry today.

achuthan1988

Broken In
I want to buy a good book for c++ as reference\
The books i have seen are
1) thinking in c++ vol 1
2) c++: the complete reference

Which of the above books would you recommend ? Is there any other good book which i can follow? I am at intermediate level in c++.

Neuron

Electronic.
C++,The Complete Reference is a great book.It's is preferable for both beginners as well as experienced programmers.

abhijangda

Padawan
For Beginners go for Programming in ANSI C by Denis M. Ritchie and Brian W. (didn't remember full name of second author). It is a very, very good book, no one can refuse this fact. First of all read this book twice. Then go for other ones. Good Luck!! :)

clmlbx

Technomancer
Hey guys I am learning c++ on my own I have few questions..

1. How can I store two different data Into two variables but from Single Input..

example:-

Cout<<"Enter YOU Name";
cin>>'First Name' 'Middle Name' 'Last Name' // user enters name

Now how do I store this in 3 Varibles.. 'Fn' ,' Mn' , 'Ln' Respectively

Example 2.

Cout<<"enter your Screen Rsolution :";
cin>> 1280 x 720

How do I store this in 2 Variables,.. Width and Hegiht

I know how to store this in Single variable .. guys pls reply ASAP

2. How can I store Two data types values in Single Array if not then what is alternate to store two different types of data in Single Variable

Example:
I wish to store string on first Element and Integers in Second Element..

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys I am learning c++ on my own I have few questions..

1. How can I store two different data Into two variables but from Single Input..

example:-

Cout<<"Enter YOU Name";
cin>>'First Name' 'Middle Name' 'Last Name' // user enters name

Now how do I store this in 3 Varibles.. 'Fn' ,' Mn' , 'Ln' Respectively

Example 2.

Cout<<"enter your Screen Rsolution :";
cin>> 1280 x 720

How do I store this in 2 Variables,.. Width and Hegiht

I know how to store this in Single variable .. guys pls reply ASAP

2. How can I store Two data types values in Single Array if not then what is alternate to store two different types of data in Single Variable

Example:
I wish to store string on first Element and Integers in Second Element..

cout<<"Enter your Name";
cin> > fn> > mn> > ln;

While giving data, press enter after giving first name & enter again for second & enter again for third. This stores data in respective variables.

2) Take two variables width & height.

cout<<" Enter width & height";
cin> > width> > height;
//if you prefer showing it as 1280x720
cout<<width<<"x"<<height;

Second option, you can use array to store dimensions, like an array for eg dim[2].

dim[0] = //width
dim[1] for height.

3) No you can't since array is a collection of items of similar type, you can't use two data types in an array, but in a string array it still accepts numbers, but considers them as strings.

For encapsulating variables of several data types, you have structures & classes.

Top Bottom