Buzzing noise when using mic

nac

Aspiring Novelist
For the last 2-3 days I hear buzzing noise when using mic. There is no new hardware or software installed lately. Because of the noise, the recording sound is not that good and audible. I googled to find solution but none worked so far. I don't know what caused this problem, I would like to fix this as quick as possible. Mic is something I use a lot. Speaker/headphone out is working excellent, no problem in there.

Tried other headphones in my PC - Still buzzing
Plugged cabinet power cord in other plug points - Still buzzing
Tried adjusting volume - Though it reduces, it's still there and also recording sound goes down along with buzzing noise.

I can't spend 1000s of rupees for PCI sound card and this USB sound card doesn't seem like a good product.

When I touch the headphone wire, buzzing noise increases and even more when my foot touches the ground. This is how the buzzing noise is when recording. Just mic is turned ON, there is no other sound. Just the buzzing noise...

*i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/tkphotos1/mic%20buzzing_zps984wrhzv.jpg

What's the issue here? What's the fix? I could really use some help from you guys. Thank you.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Am not expert in electrical/electronics..however just giving you some pointers...

What is your system config?

Are you connected to mains / UPS thru spike guard / multi socket adapter, if yes try removing that and connecting directly to mains wherever possible.

Try running the system without cabinet, (if you are familiar with assembly / disassembly). Anything like faulty PSU, grounding or even motherboard touching some cabinet near mounting points etc can be isolated here

Do you have any tube lights connected along the same mains line having choke that has starting giving humming off lately?

Clean the mic-in port using circuit cleaner. Clean the mobo using circuit cleaner or blower brush.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
What is your system config?
Pentium dual core E2160
Asus P5G MX
3 GB DDR2 (1x1 & 2x1)
Generic cabinet with SMPS
Samsung 17" LCD
Seagate 160GB
Asus DVD
Win 8.1
Are you connected to mains / UPS thru spike guard / multi socket adapter, if yes try removing that and connecting directly to mains wherever possible.
Yes, things are connected to spike buster > UPS > main.
I tried connecting directly to wall socket, and still buzzing.
Try running the system without cabinet, (if you are familiar with assembly / disassembly). Anything like faulty PSU, grounding or even motherboard touching some cabinet near mounting points etc can be isolated here
I don't know how I can do this. I can remove everything out of the cabinet, but how do I switch ON? The ON button is in the cabinet, right?
Do you have any tube lights connected along the same mains line having choke that has starting giving humming off lately?
No, I don't have any tube light. But I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] had CFL which died this morning.
Clean the mic-in port using circuit cleaner. Clean the mobo using circuit cleaner or blower brush.
Opened the cabinet and cleaned everything I can, still buzzing. But now I can't put my 1GB RAM as PC is not booting with 1GB in it's slot. Don't know what happened, tried removing and placed it about 5 times :(

patkim

Cyborg Agent
You seem to be using some generic PSU. if any nearby hardware shop is ready to test with a better PSU, do give it a try as well.

Just clean the RAM contacts and RAM Slot and retry, exchanging alternating the RAM sticks.

the system can be powered on by momentarily shorting the Power Pins (where the two wires from cabinet Power Switch plugs in) on the motherboard. You can use any thin metallic object like a screwdriver to start the system.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Testing my PSU in other PC or borrowing someones PSU is not possible, I think. At least for now, I can't.
I tried switching slots, I guess I have to try again. Hope it will work again...
Thanks for the tip (workaround to switch on), I checked couple of youtube videos to get the idea. I give it a try.

- - - Updated - - -

After about 10-15 removing/replacing/switching slots finally RAM issue is solved.
2-3 times screen was like from the movie Matrix just that it's not in green and few times there was some warning/beeping sound. I thought that 1GB gone kaput. :)
I don't think there would be a problem with mic/headphone still I am gonna check it on other computer.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
your issue, i assume is largely due to earthing, as the described symptoms are typical of an earthing issue.

please get your earthing checked for your PC.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
your issue, i assume is largely due to earthing, as the described symptoms are typical of an earthing issue.

please get your earthing checked for your PC.
You mean, I gotta check the main line (house's main electricity board)?

- - - Updated - - -

Checked my headphone on another computer, it's there but it's okay. It's not as worse as mine.
I uninstalled realtek hd audio driver to see if there is any difference, but it gone worse. I know with realtek installed, sounds are amplified (both speaker and mic), now with no realtek sounds went back to normal and I can't hear my voice well with this buzzing noise. With 'mono' recording, all I hear is buzzing. I I gotta reinstall it. There is this cheap PCI sound card, how is that? Doesn't seem promising but guess better than the USB sound card. Would this fix my issue?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
You mean, I gotta check the main line (house's main electricity board)?

- - - Updated - - -

Checked my headphone on another computer, it's there but it's okay. It's not as worse as mine.
I uninstalled realtek hd audio driver to see if there is any difference, but it gone worse. I know with realtek installed, sounds are amplified (both speaker and mic), now with no realtek sounds went back to normal and I can't hear my voice well with this buzzing noise. With 'mono' recording, all I hear is buzzing. I I gotta reinstall it. There is this cheap PCI sound card, how is that? Doesn't seem promising but guess better than the USB sound card. Would this fix my issue?

you should ideally start with the board that the PC is connected to.

btw.. if is an earthing issue, then it will just be a mild hum.
also, may be something with the PSU/SMPS.

but if its something like a buzz [like pink noise] then the issue might be something else. maybe the motherboard.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
you should ideally start with the board that the PC is connected to.

btw.. if is an earthing issue, then it will just be a mild hum.
also, may be something with the PSU/SMPS.

but if its something like a buzz [like pink noise] then the issue might be something else. maybe the motherboard.
I have been thinking of upgrading my system for more than a year. As a part of upgrade, I bought PSU (yet to install). If the problem is with MB, then I am screwed. I gotta rush up and upgrade. I can't afford to buy all the components in one go, so the reason I am buying one by one. May be this would push me to take a loan and buy a new PC.

There is no "shock" when I touch the metal part of the cabinet or anywhere. I don't know if that confirms any grounding issues with computer. May be I should call an electrician to check that.

- - - Updated - - -

Wowie!!! I reinstalled realtek, now the problem disappeared. I can clearly hear me typing, wall clocks seconds hand's movement, wind noise (from fan). It's back to how it was 4 days back. But don't know what was the issue. Thanks you guys.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
I have been thinking of upgrading my system for more than a year. As a part of upgrade, I bought PSU (yet to install). If the problem is with MB, then I am screwed. I gotta rush up and upgrade. I can't afford to buy all the components in one go, so the reason I am buying one by one. May be this would push me to take a loan and buy a new PC.

There is no "shock" when I touch the metal part of the cabinet or anywhere. I don't know if that confirms any grounding issues with computer. May be I should call an electrician to check that.

- - - Updated - - -

Wowie!!! I reinstalled realtek, now the problem disappeared. I can clearly hear me typing, wall clocks seconds hand's movement, wind noise (from fan). It's back to how it was 4 days back. But don't know what was the issue. Thanks you guys.

well well..

:p

Congrats, you can hold off on the loan ;)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It's back again.
Tried to troubleshoot the same way I did last time. Uninstalled realtek, reinstalled didn't work. Again uninstalled and removed windows installed audio driver, after few attempts with no realtek, it's gone. And I chose not to install realtek hd audio and within few hours noise came back. :(

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Under 'Recording Devices', disable "Line-In" and see if that works.
Tried disabling, still the same.
Again few uninstall/reinstall, once I thought it fixed but not for long. Within few minutes again buzzing...

This is how it is when not using. As you can see, all I hear is noise not my voice. :( But this only in recording not with playback, and that's surprising.
*i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/tkphotos1/mic%201_zpsxdgqbmsq.jpg

*i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/tkphotos1/mic%202_zpslhew2wb6.jpg

patkim

Cyborg Agent
what if you change the location of your PC. Try connecting it to some other mains socket at some other room just for checking.

also what if you plug in the music audio output of your say mobile to 'Line-in' and check if it exists on 'Line-in' as well when it's there at Mic-In.
Generally 'Line-in' has better S/N ratio as compared to 'Mic-In' but just to check again.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
what if you change the location of your PC. Try connecting it to some other mains socket at some other room just for checking.

also what if you plug in the music audio output of your say mobile to 'Line-in' and check if it exists on 'Line-in' as well when it's there at Mic-In.
Generally 'Line-in' has better S/N ratio as compared to 'Mic-In' but just to check again.
Yeah, I have already tried directly plugged in a wall socket. Still the same.

I don't know how I can do the second option you suggested. I have a decade old mobile, I don't how to get audio from my mobile to PC. With what kinda cable? I have a compact camera with AV cable, would it help?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
basically I was just suggesting to check how effective the other 'Line-In' is. You get a simple aux stereo cable with 3.5mm jack on either sides hardly for 50 - 60 rs at any mobile accessory shops. Your phone needs have 3.5mm headphone out as well for this to try. Basically any general audio device like ipod, mobile, etc or even an electronic musical instrument that has 3.5mm audio out can be used.

Also how about the mic device in question. Have you tried it on some other pc just to rule out that it's not bad in first place

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
basically I was just suggesting to check how effective the other 'Line-In' is. You get a simple aux stereo cable with 3.5mm jack on either sides hardly for 50 - 60 rs at any mobile accessory shops. Your phone needs have 3.5mm headphone out as well for this to try. Basically any general audio device like ipod, mobile, etc or even an electronic musical instrument that has 3.5mm audio out can be used.

Also how about the mic device in question. Have you tried it on some other pc just to rule out that it's not bad in first place
Unfortunately, neither my phone has 3.5mm out nor I have any audio devices. For now I can't check that until I borrow a phone from someone.

Yes, I have checked mic in another desktop, it's good. Though I get a bit of noise, not as worse as mine. Good enough to listen to the voice/recordings.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
When I checked last night it was working, I thought it was temporary thing (I didn't try anything to fix it, it's fixed on it's own). Again I checked now, it's still working. Something weird, don't know what's causing this. Something wrong with the m/b or headphone or electrical thing. :thinking_NF:

tamatarpakoda

Resident Villain
Staff member
Do you have any heavy duty electrical appliance running close to your machine?

It seems to be picking up EMI from something or the other. Try slapping on a Ferrite Bead clamp and see if that makes a difference.

Good quality microphones come with Ferrite Beads attached to the cable.

Another common reason is that of crappy wiring overall. When the neutral line in your power socket isn't proper, there will be a little unwanted ripple introduced which travels all the way into your appliances.

And yet another common reason is the Switch mode power supply, which is why professional audio equipment deals with direct DC power only. The battery bank is charged before each session. Linear voltage supplies seem to not have this issue. The switching causes a light humming sound to be heard.

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Do you have any heavy duty electrical appliance running close to your machine?

It seems to be picking up EMI from something or the other. Try slapping on a Ferrite Bead clamp and see if that makes a difference.

Good quality microphones come with Ferrite Beads attached to the cable.
Inverter is the biggest thing next to my computer. I don't have many electrical appliances in my whole house, the only other two things I have is a mixie and an induction stove which I use once in a while. Speaking of induction stove, after a long time I used it yesterday. Is that the reason now my mic is working fine?

If it happens again, I will try and buy this ferrite bead clamp.

I guess not a lot I can do with other two, wiring and mode of power supply.

Top Bottom