Buying RIG on Thursday, Last time advice's

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Let us not commit a new cooler for ithehappy as yet. It could be bad TIM, or HSF placement. He needs to tell us more.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ keviv
Yes at idle i5 downclocks to 1.2ghz and as you see temps are very cool. How's your i5 fairing?

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Let us not commit a new cooler for ithehappy as yet. It could be bad TIM, or HSF placement. He needs to tell us more.

Hey buddy I don't know what this TIM is, so I can't tell you more about this, instead I took a picture as you all can see, is there anything wrong???
*img406.imageshack.us/img406/3950/photo0072u.th.jpg
*img143.imageshack.us/img143/6890/photo0095j.th.jpg

And also attaching a screenshot of CPU Temp when my room temp was 25° C.

Regards.

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Tim is a thermal paste that is to be used in b/w cpu and heatsink..
Intel proccy have it preapplied on the heat sink..
It is usually grey coloured..did u see any??or was a tube of thermal paste provided?

@vicky
i know it does..i didnt see the frequency that's why i was shocked..
My proccy is running good..overclocked it the 2nd day of usage(hehe)..haven't noticed much diff as i'm just using it for games right now..

@asingh
as i said intel HS's come preapplied with TIM..they don't expect all the users to buy their own and use it..as they wouldn't want novice users to burn their processors jst because they don't know abt TIM..hehe
I'm pretty sure that the temp is after normal installation..

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Okay I got it now. Frankly I don't know what was provided b/w the heatsink and CPU. I have to open it to see it then but I never done that before. So feelin a bit scared...

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
If you are not happy with the temp.. I would say take out the heat sink..check under its base if TIM is properly used and then carefully reinstall the heat sink..
Buy a thermal paste..gud one costs around 350 - 450..
Its very easy to install the heatsink as intel have pushpin heatsinks..do acc. to the manual in the proccy box..
If u'r still scared go to a computer shop to get it done..

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Yes ofcourse. TIM is very essential for heat transfer from proccy to fan heat sink. Without it heat sinks become far less efficient. So all proccy manufacturers provide pre applied TIM which is good enough unless you overclock.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Guys I took out the heatsink (for the first time in my life though) and found this,
*img413.imageshack.us/img413/1517/photo0109o.th.jpg

*img638.imageshack.us/img638/1520/photo0110r.th.jpg

As far my eyes can say that color is gray, so is it cool? or I have to do something else additionally?
Regards.

NITIN BHUWANIA

Broken In
Guys I took out the heatsink (for the first time in my life though) and found this,
*img413.imageshack.us/img413/1517/photo0109o.th.jpg

*img638.imageshack.us/img638/1520/photo0110r.th.jpg

As far my eyes can say that color is gray, so is it cool? or I have to do something else additionally?
Regards.
According to me it really bad quality TIM.Doesnt even looks like TIM..and that too in less quantity...
hey buddy the TIM doesn't looks like a good one...better buy a new TIM and then only plug back your heatsink..before applying new tim do wipe off the old one with soft cloth...
take proper care in applying new tim...do it asap,...:-D

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Congrats, ur heat sink had TIM..
The bad news is its useless now..buy a thermal paste..cooler master,arctic silver etc..around RS.350..

@jas..we were talking about intel..so that's why didn't mention AMD..

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Okay...
The Vedanta (or what ever the vendor is) did a 100% shi$$$ job of assembling your equipment. He has literally killed the fine motherboard and dream-to-work-with cabinet. See the diagram below, it will help you to do some good cable management. Basically you will have to remove each connector and re-do. It should not be that difficult if you follow the schematic and manual(s), else you can ask here. First time it might take you 3-4 hours. But it is a learning experience.

Try to do the following:
*img258.imageshack.us/img258/7636/itthehappy.jpg

Also you would need to re-TIM the HSF. Remove the assembly as you have, and clean both surfaces using Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA -- available at most chemists). Make sure no liquid gets into the socket area. The put the thinnest possible layer of thermal interface material on the CPU contact surface, and re seat the HSF. All the pushpins should go in firmly and the HSF should not budge.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I called Vedant and asked why they did a bad assembling job, they replied that the heatsink came with the Processor and if it's bad then it's Intel's problem not assemblers. I asked about CM Thermal Pasting, they said it costs Rs. 250/-
So now I am gonna buy the Thermal Pasting on Monday, but I am really confused how will I apply it as I have never done anything like this before. Is there a demo video of applying that heatsink possible, that might do some help...
@asingh, Thanks for your effort. Will do the Cable management job after doing the hs job for sure.
Regards.

mitraark

Decrepit
Dude you should not mess with the CPU Cooler if you don;t have much knowlege or experience , also , yes , the assemblers at most shops hardly care about the paste , some even steal it and just fix the cooler without any paste.

Now that you have seen its been badly done, get good paste and get some good assembler to fix your CPU cooler properly.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Placing a HSF unit.

TIMing the surfaces.

Hope this helps.

It did help, thanks a lot. Well it seems much easier job than I thought would be. But one thing after applying the paste how long I have to wait to put the heatink back on the CPU, will I have to give it some time to dry it out?

Regards.

PS- After playing 30 mins of Black OPS now the temp is like this,

Above 65° C, Oh God...

Last edited:

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
That's high but not critical..and u should not wait for the paste to dry..IT'S A PASTE..

Note that these temp are when u game..doing cpu intensive tasks will take the temp to 70 in ur case..

I would say go for an aftermarket cooler if you are not happy with it..

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
That's high but not critical..and u should not wait for the paste to dry..IT'S A PASTE..

Note that these temp are when u game..doing cpu intensive tasks will take the temp to 70 in ur case..

I would say go for an aftermarket cooler if you are not happy with it..
Yeah I will definitely buy the cooler, but I will try that pasting thing before to see how the temp falls from current rate. I can't take 70°C after just half an hour of gaming, my C2D never went this far.
Regards.

Top Bottom