Buying a new PSU (Budget < 2k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pushkaraj

In the zone
I am planning to buy a new PSU as my old PSU has died.

My PC config is:
AMD Athlon 3200+
Gigabyte GA-K8 mobo
512x2 MB DDR400 RAM
Keyboard + Mouse
Two 80 GB SATA II hard disks
LG DVD writer

Will a 400 W PSU suffice my requirements?

Also if i buy a gfx card in the future, then will i need a more powerful PSU, say, 500W?

I heard that the Powersafe PSU are good and come with a 3 year warranty.
I found this on www.theitwares.com

Power Safe SMPS
Brand Model Technical Specs Cost

Power Safe SMPS 400W Silver SMPS 1200/-
Power Safe SMPS 400W Gold SMPS 1550/-
Power Safe SMPS 500W Silver SMPS 1750/-
Power Safe SMPS 500W Gold SMPS 2750/-

Is there any better brand that may fit my budget?

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Cooler master 460w psu for 1900.can't get anything better.can handle a quad core,4 hard drives,2 dvd writers and a graphics card.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
a 400W PSu is more than enuf for ur current config. And it can handle low~lower mid fx cards upto an 8600GT.
Lots of people in this forum are running C2D/X2 with 8600GT on default 400W PSu that comes with the cabby.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
400W will be enough for your rig.. But go for a 500W PSU. Just in case you upgrade your computer in the future, then you wont have to spend more again to buy a new PSU. Get a 500W PSU.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
Thanx for the replies guys. i will consider the cooler master. Actually i m not really keen on buyin the 500W psu. But keepin in mind the fact that i might buy a gfx card, i considered the option. But as per ur replies, if a 400 W is sufficient to power my current system and an 8600GT(if i buy it in the future), then i wud definitely save some bucks by buying a 400W psu.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
No.

I m currently using my friend's 845 based system. My gigabyte mobo came back from repairs today. i connected it to my 350 W psu but there was no cmos beep, no display, although the cpu fan and smps fan were running.

I then connected my mobo to my friend's psu and it immediately started, without any problem. So i thought instead of reparing my 350 W psu, it wud b better to go for a new branded long lasting psu.

P

priyadarshi

Cooler master 460w psu for 1900.can't get anything better.can handle a quad core,4 hard drives,2 dvd writers and a graphics card.

from where can i get Cooler master 460w psu for 1900 in nehru place? i enquired it today and was told 2250

johnjjx

Ambassador of Buzz
^^actually cm460 is in great demand...it was available for 1.8k
wait for smetime prices will drop:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom