Building a HTPC at 20K

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually Death Night has his runeblade Frostmourne with him. This is just for HTPC purpose I guess. So a cheaper mobo is sufficient. And in my config, I have suggested a discreate GPU, HD 5670 which is having HDMI and DVI Output. So nothing to worry.

OP
Death_Knight

Death_Knight

True Evil Never Dies
@All: Thanks a lot. Since this is a HTPC, a 5.1 speaker system, wireless KB n mouse, HDMI output and Mini tower or smaller are the bare minimum required. So, after going through the suggestions here's the compilation:

CPU: AthlonII X3 440 - 3050+
MB: Gigabyte 880GM UD2H - 4000+ [Won't Gigabyte be better than ASUS?]
RAM: Corsair 2GBx2 1333 value - 2200+
HDD: Seagate 1TB - 2450+
ODD: LG - 850+
Cabby: CM Elite 360 - 1850+
PSU: FSP SagaII 400W - 1800+
Speakers: Creative T6100 - 3300+
KB: Logitech Wireless - 1200+
Grand Total: 20,700+

Here goes my confusions:
MoBo n Graphix: The screen resolution as stated is 1366x768 only and not full HD. There will be no gaming. So, won't the onboard 4250 along with 4GB total RAM handle the playback?

PSU: Is FSP available in Kolkata? If so, where?
If its not available n since it wont be a high power system, how'z Frontech?

Cabinet: The space beneath the TV is 6"Hx23"Wx14.5"D (back may be opened) while the other cubes are 13"Hx15"Wx15"D (back fixed). So a HTPC cabinet or a Mini tower with horizontal orientation is must.
Though Zebronics Flair @ 3.9Hx11.6Wx14.3D would be ideal, I cant make sure if standard PSU would fit.
Also CM Elite 360 at 5.8"Hx14.2Wx17.3"D seems to fit and is a much better option.

Speaker: Is the Logitech Z506 worthy of its price compared to Creative T6100?

P.S.: Is there any problem for my Corsair 2GBx2 XMS3 (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) with "Intel Unlocked" stated above to run in this setup? Just curious! This might be a good time to get the Vengeance 4GBx2 for myself and dispose off the existing ones! :twisted:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
mobo n gfx: You can start with the onboard gfx and see the performance of media playback. You can always install a GFX card later. But that IGP might just be enough.

cabinet: CM elite 360, much better.

speaker: Go for the Logitech.

For RAM you can use your existing RAM for HTPC and upgrade to vengeance for the desktop.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
P.S.: Is there any problem for my Corsair 2GBx2 XMS3 (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) with "Intel Unlocked" stated above to run in this setup? Just curious! This might be a good time to get the Vengeance 4GBx2 for myself and dispose off the existing ones! :twisted:

Actually this might be a great idea!! :D

Have a look at this thread bro and put in your valuable comments.... :)

OP
Death_Knight

Death_Knight

True Evil Never Dies
Thanks guyz. Going Chandni tomorrow for the purchase. Hope to get the products I want. Probably go for the Logitech speakers.

And some body please confirm the availability of FSP SagaII here in Kolkata. And if I don't get it what will be my option.

I experimented with the LCD today with my machine. Couldn't run it with any resolution more than 1280x720 on HDMI, that too on dual display mode only (desktop on both monitor n TV simultaneously). Couldn't make the TV run on single diaplay mode for a single time :x
But with the D-sub connector the TV quite easily took the native 1360x768 res with no problem at all. So, this might be the only choice left. What a waste of the 2 HDMI ports and the cable I bought for Rs200. Any solution guyz??

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
FSP Saga II from my little personal experience is more costlier than their online prices. MD Computers actually quoted me 2.9K for 500W :shock:

In case FSP Saga II is not available go for Corsair CX400 or if available the CX-V2.

OP
Death_Knight

Death_Knight

True Evil Never Dies
FSP Saga II from my little personal experience is more costlier than their online prices. MD Computers actually quoted me 2.9K for 500W :shock:

In case FSP Saga II is not available go for Corsair CX400 or if available the CX-V2.

WTF!! its almost 1k more than the online counterpart!
CX400 is at 2.8k. The only branded one at the price range is CM extreme power plus at 1.5k. :-(

Also the Z506 is shown to be Rs 5725 at SMC :shock:
Also what about the reviews at Logitech regarding the constant buzz?? Getting worried now. My cheaper T6100 gives no trouble at all.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are satisfied with the performance of T6100 with the media files you have, then I think you better go it for rather than remaining in two minds.

OP
Death_Knight

Death_Knight

True Evil Never Dies
If you are satisfied with the performance of T6100 with the media files you have, then I think you better go it for rather than remaining in two minds.

Yup.. Actually I was inclined more for the Z506 because of the additional input options, can connect the TV to it.. if the person for whom I'm buying for is ready to afford, i'm going for it :))

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, all the best for the purchase. Do post pictures of the complete setup. Looking forward to see it working.

OP
Death_Knight

Death_Knight

True Evil Never Dies
Went to the market. Alas, couldn't find FSP or the MoBo I was looking. AMD 440 was replaced by 445. So, finally it overshoot the budget. Here's the configuration I bought (from Vedant, Kolkata):

CPU: AMD AthlonII X3 445 @ 3400+
MB: MSI 880GM-E35 @ 3500+
HDD: Seagate 1TB @ 2625+
RAM: Used my existing Corsair XMS3 2x2GB

[Bought 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2475+ each for my desktop :-D]
ODD: LG @ 925+
Cabby: CM Elite 360 @ 1900+
PSU: Corsair CX430 @ 2452+
Speaker: Logitech Z506 @ 4000+
KB & Mouse: Logitech MK260 (wireless) @ 1050+
UPS: Microtek 625VA @ 1525+

The Cabinet came with one CM 120mm fan. Added another 120mm from CM.
Will post the pics soon.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Went to the market. Alas, couldn't find FSP or the MoBo I was looking. AMD 440 was replaced by 445. So, finally it overshoot the budget. Here's the configuration I bought (from Vedant, Kolkata):

Will post the pics soon.

A superb rig! Especially the Vengeance part! :D
Also the Z506 price is very good!!

Did u try to unlock the elusive fourth core yet?
Plz post some CPUZ & GPUZ screenies ;)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Will post the pics soon.

Congrats for your purchase. Nice config, price of the speakers is awesome. One question, why Microtek UPS, why not APC? Another thing, is the logo of the cabby removable?

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Congrats for your purchase. Nice config, price of the speakers is awesome. One question, why Microtek UPS, why not APC? Another thing, is the logo of the cabby removable?

Microtek saves money imo ;)

What logo are u talking about?

Top Bottom