Building a budget gaming PC, suggestions needed

domin8r

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: Casual Gaming, plan to keep bought PC for atleast 2-3 years
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers?
A: Yes, absolutely
3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 40k
4. Planning to overclock?
A: Not yet, but later yes
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7, Ubuntu 10
6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500GB - 1TB
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: 22"
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10?
A: 2
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Done by assembler
10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Soon... by end of October
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Slightly, yes. Looking for something that'd last for 2-3 years without major tweakings, and be able to play pretty much any game after 2006.
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: No modems, external sound cards, speakers etc...
13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Indirapuram, Ghaziabad. Really looking to buy the hardware from Nehru Place, as I still have a few contacts there when I used to live in New Delhi.
14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: Listing my current config thoughts below :

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
GPU: nVidia GTX 460 1GB DDR5
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
MotherBoard: AMD Gigabyte 785G-UD2H
Monitor: Dell S2209W
Cabinet: One with enough room and ventilation
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech

Any suggestions?

P.S.: I'm not considering the ATI 5770 HD as the GT460 has beat it in pretty much every competition.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Here goes your config

Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz @ 4.8k
Gigabyte 880GA UD2H @ 4.5k
2 X 2 GB Kingstone 1333 MHz DDR3 C9 @ 4.5k
Seagate/WD 500 GB @ 1.8k
Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W @ 2.2k
BenQ G2220 HD Full HD @ 7.3k
LG 22X SATA DVD Writer @ 1k
Keyboard & Mouse @ 0.6k
Zotac GTX460 1GB GDDR5 @ 12.7k

Total is 39.4k + Vat. But I would suggest you to go for a higher PSU like Corsair VX450 @ 3.7k.

OP
D

domin8r

Journeyman
Cilus, I just enquired about the config I chose, at SMC, Nehru Place, and the whole cost comes out to be about 40k on the dot. Thanks, but I'll go with my config instead...

Cilus

laborare est orare
domin8r, some suggestion from my side:
1st of all regarding your choice of motherboard. You have chosen a motherboard which is actually not the latest generation AM3 motherboard. The latest is AMM 8XX chipset with SATA 3 and/or USB 3 support. So better go for a 8XX based mobo.
2ndly, i really doubt that all the specification given by you will come within 40k unless you are going for some crappy local PSU+Cabinet combo.

Please provide us the name of the PSU as piyush120290 suggested. Otherwise it may end like a burned out PSU and a damaged GTX 460 and may be some other parts also.

OP
D

domin8r

Journeyman
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
GPU: nVidia/ZOTAC GTX 460 1GB DDR5
RAM: Corsair/GSkill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3
MotherBoard: Gigabyte 785G-UD2H
Cabinet: CM Elite 310
PSU: CM one, remains to be seen...

But, yes, with the UPS and me considering the CM Elite 430 Black instead, the total would shoot over 45k...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
CM to be avoided at every cost.

Here are your options: Gigabyte 460w (2k), FSP Saga II 500w (2.5k), Tagan TG500-U37 (3k), Corsair CX400 (2.7k) or Corsair VX450 (3.7k).

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
GPU: nVidia/ZOTAC GTX 460 1GB DDR5
RAM: Corsair/GSkill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3
MotherBoard: Gigabyte 785G-UD2H
Cabinet: CM Elite 310

But, yes, with the UPS and me considering the CM Elite 430 Black instead, the total would shoot over 45k...

are you going for some rendering work along with gaming, if no, i see no use in getting a Phenom II processor. for gaming, Athlon II are best (cause they are lot cheaper, allowing you invest in ram or graphics card). Cilus gave a good "ready-to-purchase" config. why fiddling & reducing the end value?

also the board you choose should be 785GMT-UD2H if you going for DDR3. in the end its your decision, if you want self satisfaction or gaming satisfaction.

Cilus

laborare est orare
I know gamers may have a fascination over Phenom II BE series processors due to it OC potential but domin8r, buddy why are going for old 785G based motherboards where 8XX series are available and priced almost same.
You should go with Gigabyte 880GA UD2H @ 4.5k or MSI 880GMA-E45 @ 5.8k (this one is having SATA 3 and USB 3)

And please confirm bout your PSU. IF your "CM one" is turned out to be a CM Extreme series PSU then you are probably doomed.

OP
D

domin8r

Journeyman
@Cilus: I don't have a motherboard choice nailed down as of now, that is probably the grayest of all areas... will definitely look at Gigabyte 880GA UD2H as you said.
PSU should now be one of either Corsair/Gigabyte as mentioned by ico...

And the reason I chose the Phenom processor is because of this benchmark:

*www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/12....36.37.38.39.40.41.42.43.44.45.46.47.48.49.50

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
are you going for some rendering work along with gaming, if no, i see no use in getting a Phenom II processor. for gaming, Athlon II are best (cause they are lot cheaper, allowing you invest in ram or graphics card).

I beg to differ.
Though if thought on, you, sire are both right and wrong.
Wrong cause one cannot say what is best (Gaming cpu) on the grounds that 'this saves money for graphics card'.
If so is the case, then i7 950 is worse than p955 (i save 7k), similarly a635 is better (i save 3+7 k), and x3 4xx is yet the best, what i save maximum money. What about athlon x2 then
Your 'right' part would explaing the other but important factor, i.e cost.
Balancing a gaming rig is important, but price factor takes the first preference.
Example.
I'd buy p955 + 460 rather than
a635 + 5850.
But on the other hand, i'l not buy i7 950 + 5850, but i'l go with p955 + 5870.
So apart from the other great thing it provides, I'd say AMD PHENOM 9x5 is best gaming cpu ever fabricated by fat americans.
This is how things work inside my thick skull.
So before you start running at me with a brick to crack my above mentioned skull, i'd like to add that everything i write is with deep regards to all you guys at tdf.
So all this poking your nerves with random stick and laughin my ar$e out when you fart is done with all due respect and deep love at my heart for you guys. Honestly, you guys are the best.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ i was saying it for this specific post only. cause his budget limited. you can't squeeze in best of both worlds here. get the best thats the soul of performance here i.e. graphics card. & get a descent proccy (not slow or super fast, highend) with the rest of the money

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
^^^honestly, even i forgot to add,'so your assumption is correct in this case. A635 is the best cpu for this rig' somewhere in the middle of my double post.

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
Isn't 5850 better than 460 in terms of performance?Shouldn't u b going for A635 + 5850 rather than P955 + 460 if its for gaming?

It is, but only slightly better. And i dont think 3.5-4k of 5850 over gtx260 is worth that 'slight' difference.
But on the other hand, p955 is totally worth the 3k difference over a635.

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
Going for an HD5850 will increase the budget altogether...So i think the op should stick to a GTX 460 considering there is only a slight difference in performance..

ssb1551

Technomancer
It is, but only slightly better. And i dont think 3.5-4k of 5850 over gtx260 is worth that 'slight' difference.
But on the other hand, p955 is totally worth the 3k difference over a635.

Hmmm....I c ur point now!!!I was under the impression that 5850 beats the a## outta 460 n hands it over to him which is clearly wrong so.....ya u r rite abt keeping those 4k with urself for jus a meager increase in performance!!

Top Bottom