Building a 30k rig for my dad.

thyultimate

Broken In
Hello guys! Its great to be a part of this forum!

So here is the deal, my dad has assigned me with building him a 30k rig. The primary purpose of this rig is to enable him to watch movies in high quality (fullHD will be nice), browse the internet comfortably (he needs only 5-10 tabs open) and generic data transfers (to usb, phone and downloads etc.) and in rare cases cd-dvd ripping. Now I have most things sorted out, but would like a second opinion as well as advice on certain components. So here goes.

CPU - AMD A6 3500 (This I presume should be good enough)
Motherboard - MSI A75MA-G55 (Want the USB 3, any other cheaper/better options?)
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 2GB x2 (1600Mhz F3-12800CL9S-2GBXL)
Monitor - Samsung B2030 (Are there other better options?)
HDD - will pick some 500gb one. (should I care which one I pick? I want the cheapest possible while maintaining quality, even a 320GB one will do as long as its better value from a cheaper reliable type point of view)
DVD-RW - Same as above, the prices seem to average around 1k for all brands.
Keyboard/Mouse - I am thinking of a combo less than 2k (or even 1.5k), could I get a decent wireless one or should I stick to wired?
SMPS - I think 250w should be more than enough. Not sure what to buy though. Would prefer one with a microatx form factor if there is such a thing.
UPS - Only required to shutdown in time. Considering how low powered the above components will be, which cheap one should I get? Will anything do?
Router - He recently got a smartphone. Would like him to have wifi. What good options do I have below 1500?
Fans - I intend to get a custom case for this done at a furniture store. Have left aside bout 1k for buying 2-3 fans for cooling.

So, what do you guys think? I was also suggesting to my dad to get rid of his old CRT television not buy a new monitor and instead go for a 20-25kish TV instead. He would be glad for the larger font and all his purposes will be combined (He likes to invite people over to watch DVD's). In this way he could kinda use it like an HTPC. Does anyone have any experience with using TV's as monitors?

I have build myself a couple of gaming rigs before (assembled em myself too) so I do have experience building PC's, its just slightly harder when you have a tighter budget, esp with things like the PSU :)

Thanks a lot in advance for the help guys!

Cilus

laborare est orare
Welcome to TDF. Please fill up the *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html template and post it here.

Cilus

laborare est orare
thyultimate, since you are forcing on multi-tasking, better go with llano based quad core processor. AMD A6-3650 is the perfect choice here.

Hmm, get this config:

Intel Core i3 2120 - 6200
Intel DH67CL -B3 - 5500
G.Skill RipjawsX 4GB DDR3 1333MHz - 1400
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - 4270
Corsair CX430V2 PSU - 2300
NZXT Source 210 Elite - 2300
Benq G222HDL - 7500
Linksys WRT120N Router - 1500 [ Check smc ]
ASUS DRW-24B3ST DVD writer - 1135
Any 600VA ups - 1500
Fan set - CM 4 fan pack - 800 [ check flipkart ]
Keyboard/Mouse - Amkette Combo - 400

Total - Around 32k

Minion

Conversation Architect
replace these component in your config. other components seems to good to me.

processor-A6 3650
optical drive-HP or ASUS
Psu-corsair cx 430v2
keyboard & mouse-microsoft desktop 800(around 1k)
monitor-Dell st2220l-8.55k

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Component | Make | Price
CPU|AMD A6-3670K|6000
Motherboard|ASUS F1A55-M LX PLUS|4500
RAM|G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4GB|1500
HDD|WD Caviar Blue 500 GB|4000
Optical Drive|Asus DRW-24B3ST|1100
Case|CM Elite 311|2000
PSU|Corsair CX430V2|2300
Monitor|Benq G2222HDL|7500
Mouse & Keyboard|Logitech MK200|700
UPS|Microtech 600VA|--
|Total|29600

I'm not sure about the price of UPS. Wait for other members to post it.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Guys, I think OP has mentioned clearly that he wants USB 3.0 and that's why has chosen A75 based mobo. Suggest hime one instead of A55 chipset based.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Oh, sorry. Then how does this sound?

Component | Make | Price
CPU|AMD A6-3670K|6000
Motherboard|MSI A75MA-G55|5400
RAM|G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4GB|1500
HDD|WD Caviar Blue 500 GB|4000
Optical Drive|Asus DRW-24B3ST|1100
Case|CM Elite 311|2000
PSU|Corsair CX430V2|2300
Monitor|Benq G2222HDL|7500
Mouse & Keyboard|Logitech MK200|700
UPS|Microtech 600VA|1500
|Total|32000

This config will overshoot your budget by 2K. :-(

OP
T

thyultimate

Broken In
Ok guys, thanks for the quick responses! I am sorry for not replying earlier but I only got a message from the forums y'day about replies being posted on this thread. :)

Secondly, rules are rules. Hence.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: For my dad. He will use it to view HD movies. Browse the internet (10-15 tabs max at a time). Download a few things here and there (youtube vids etc, not heavy usage). and use for basic (bout 3-4gb) of music and file data transfer. Lastly he might rarely want to either burn or rip a dvd/audio cd

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: The budget is 30k. Can maybe extend it, but parent might not be too happy and might refuse. So would like an alternate to components which push it over the edge so I can try to sell them the better idea, but have a backup plan too.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No way. heh. Its my dad's config.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 or 8 maybe.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I was thinking a 5k worth kingston 64gb ssd should be enough. He does not need a 500gb (or even a 250gb) one.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yep. Would prefer fullhd. If not possible, has to be atleast 1600*900.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I have a sata dvd rw lying around. Its from my config, but I don't really use it ever. So he can have it.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Going out right now after the post to check the prices I can find. Might buy it tomorrow, or even today.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yep, a few times. I have the necessary equipment like good thermal paste, spare cables etc.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Pune. I am open to buying some parts online, and other locally as long as I get a good bargain.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I have changed my mind a bit about the config I was planning to buy. Tell me what you guys think of it.

GIGABYTE GA-E350N-USB3- 7000
or Asus E35M1-M-PRO
G.Skill 4GB x1 RAM - 1300
MS 800 Kybd/Mouse - 1500
dvd-rw - owned (2000 for slim external)
PSU - Something like this 1200
HDD - 5000 (64GB SSD Kingston, I have 3x 500gb hdd's myself, in case he wants more space after a month, ill trade him one of my hdd's)
Linksys WRT120N Router - 1500
Fans Noctura x2 - 2000 (I plan to take out the onboard, tiny shitty fan and instead have a 140mm noctura draw air right over it. I will test this and see if it over heats, I think it shouldn't. Will buy another 80mm fan for exhaust.)
misc - 1000 (cables, bluetooth dongle etc. basically for buffer)
monitor - ~9k-11 The left over. Am undecided on this. I doubt I will get a good TV for this amount (for complete htpc), but atleast a very nice screen should be possible.

Will build the cabinet myself. In this way, I can build him an extremely low powered, extremely tiny, extremely silent pc. The other option is what you guys mentioned. The AMD config that is, I don't care much for Intel.

So what do you think guys? Which config should I go with? After reading plenty reviews on the particular processor, the e350, I think it should be enough for my dad's needs. Anyone have any real world experience with this tiny processor? Is it so shitty that my dad would need the A3650? These are the things I want answers to. Thanks a lot for the help guys, I will post pictures too once the build is complete :)

OP
T

thyultimate

Broken In
Hey guys, going to pick up the stuff for the build tomorrow. Will order some of the things online as well. Any last minute suggestions? I really would like to not mess this up :p Thanks!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
GIGABYTE GA-E350N-USB3- 7000
or Asus E35M1-M-PRO

^^^^^^^ these will be too slow.

Better stick with A6-3500/3650 + A75 chipset motherboard.

Top Bottom