Budget Android Smartphone under 17K

The CyberShot

Broken In
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new smartphone that's Android based.

My budget: 17K Max
Display Size: No preference. 4 inch is fine with 230 or more PPI
Form factor: No preference.
Preferred Brand choice: HTC, Sony, Samsung, LG
Android version: Jelly Bean (or any phone that's capable, or is expected to upgrade to Android 4.2)
Preferred specs: 1 GHz CPU, >512 MB RAM, 4 GB or more internal memory
Preferred features: 720p recording, GPS, good quality camera, stereo speakers, microSD slot (or USB-OTG if no microSD)
Phones in consideration: Sony Xperia P, HTC Desire X

Please help me out if you know of any phones that fit my price range.
It'd be swell if you could also point me to the site where they're on sale at that price as well.

Please refrain from suggesting products by Karbon, Micromax, XOLO or any other brand.
Thank you for your trouble.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
I have heard good things about LG Optimus L9, it recently got updated to JellyBean.
Also Lenovo p770 is a good phone with comparable specs and bigger battery

aroraanant

Explorer
If you can extend your budget a lil bit then you can get Samsung Grand for 19k.
Desire X is not a good option, instead of that you should consider Desire SV if you specifically want to have a HTC phone.. But I think there are better option than that.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
If you can extend your budget a lil bit then you can get Samsung Grand for 19k.
Desire X is not a good option, instead of that you should consider Desire SV if you specifically want to have a HTC phone.. But I think there are better option than that.

unlike US, or EU where SV has dualcore Krait. Here both Desire X & SV has same internal. so basically both are flop in performance department.

satyamsit

Broken In
As per the current Samsung 0% processing charge for installment with 15% cashback, Galaxy grand coming under just 18k. Should worth a look.

quagmire

Allllright !
OP, never ever buy Galaxy Grand no matter what the price is.. It s**ks in every department except camera..

OP
The CyberShot

The CyberShot

Broken In
First of all, I'd like to thank all of you guys for your valuable advice and insight. You helped me a lot in influencing my decision.

I looked into all of the phones you suggested, however, I've decided to go with Sony Xperia P for the following reasons:

1. Availability on eBay for just 15,600 INR (as opposed to 21K on Flipkart and many other websites)
2. This fantastic news from Sony about the Android 4.1 update finally being pushed to Xperia P (about 8 hours ago)
3. 1080p video recording
4. 275 PPI LCD screen
5. Sony's WhiteMagic technology
(the inclusion of an additional white sub-pixel to the regular RGB sub-pixels which makes for a really bright display)
6. A really good camera compared to other phones in the same price range.
The only thing that's missing is HDR but I guess there's an app for that? Or maybe the 4.1 update will include HDR?
7. microSD card slot is missing, but USB On-The-Go (USB-OTG) support is provided.
So hopefully with an OTG cable around, the meager 14GB usable internal memory problem is solved
8. Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9 CPU paired with a Mali-400 GPU along with 1GB of RAM is okay for most purposes I guess if I'm not really that into gaming
9. The gorgeous Xperia NXT design and the beautiful Timescape UI. No other phone really looks this good, but that's just my opinion
10. HDMI, DLNA and NFC are available although DLNA and NFC probably aren't something I'm gonna use any time in the near future
11. Battery STAMINA mode that's made available through the 4.1 update. It'll probably solve the problem of the not-so-powerful 1305 mAh battery of the Xperia P
12. Google Now will also be available on the phone after the update and I'm particularly excited about that.​

aroraanant

Explorer
unlike US, or EU where SV has dualcore Krait. Here both Desire X & SV has same internal. so basically both are flop in performance department.

Bro I said it is not the best option, I said it is better option than Desire X if OP wants HTC only.

randomuser111

Technomancer
First of all, I'd like to thank all of you guys for your valuable advice and insight. You helped me a lot in influencing my decision.

I looked into all of the phones you suggested, however, I've decided to go with Sony Xperia P for the following reasons:

1. Availability on eBay for just 15,600 INR (as opposed to 21K on Flipkart and many other websites)
2. This fantastic news from Sony about the Android 4.1 update finally being pushed to Xperia P (about 8 hours ago)
3. 1080p video recording
4. 275 PPI LCD screen
5. Sony's WhiteMagic technology
(the inclusion of an additional white sub-pixel to the regular RGB sub-pixels which makes for a really bright display)
6. A really good camera compared to other phones in the same price range.
The only thing that's missing is HDR but I guess there's an app for that? Or maybe the 4.1 update will include HDR?
7. microSD card slot is missing, but USB On-The-Go (USB-OTG) support is provided.
So hopefully with an OTG cable around, the meager 14GB usable internal memory problem is solved
8. Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9 CPU paired with a Mali-400 GPU along with 1GB of RAM is okay for most purposes I guess if I'm not really that into gaming
9. The gorgeous Xperia NXT design and the beautiful Timescape UI. No other phone really looks this good, but that's just my opinion
10. HDMI, DLNA and NFC are available although DLNA and NFC probably aren't something I'm gonna use any time in the near future
11. Battery STAMINA mode that's made available through the 4.1 update. It'll probably solve the problem of the not-so-powerful 1305 mAh battery of the Xperia P
12. Google Now will also be available on the phone after the update and I'm particularly excited about that.​

That's because Flipkart sells genuine Sony India sourced Xperia P with official warranty, and on Ebay you get smuggled Xperia P with no warranty.

OP
The CyberShot

The CyberShot

Broken In
That's because Flipkart sells genuine Sony India sourced Xperia P with official warranty, and on Ebay you get smuggled Xperia P with no warranty.

I see. However, the eBay listing said the phone was available with "1 year Seller Warranty (hardware & software)"
Now that I think about it, maybe it should've said "1 year Manufacturer Warranty". I'll look into it. Thanks!

quagmire

Allllright !

Why don't you wait for SXL?
SXP has pathetic battery life..

Top Bottom