BSNL to provide 8mbps shortly -Must read

Status
Not open for further replies.
We, the Unsatisfied Technologists

It's Quite unbelieveble that although technology has managed to grow so fastly and discipline itself, we ourselves have lost our discipline:(

You see, we all want unlimited broadband so that we can download more videos which are pirated, more softwares which again are pirated and more music which is again hmmm.. lemme see.. is illegal.

I'm certainly not against piracy and I would do the same if I had an internet connection. But, the point is, we have all learnt to misuse what we have.:D

No service provider gives anyone a Home Broadband connection with unlimited download limits. Reason? Because they are the same humans that we are and they all are well aware that the more speed we have, the more data we all are going to download.

One thing that we all need to understand is that so far, BSNL is the only service provider that has managed to provide us a good price/GB download ratio. Take any other service provider in India and I bet that the prices will be slightly higher when comparing all the Home packages.

Why do you think that there are no download limits on a 56K modem connection? Because ISP's know that even if you download data 24x7 with that speed, you are not going to exceed a certain limit. But that all changes when it comes to broadband.

Why am I supporting ISP?

Because, I work for an ISP. No, it's not BSNL or Airtel or any other Indian ISP. It's called 'Demon'. It's an ISP in the UK.

8Mbps speed was introduced 2 years back in the UK and till then Demon was the only service provider that gave unlimited downloads. But After 8Mbps came in it was a necessity to introduce capped download limits.

The Reason For Capping Download Limits?

The reason is simple. The more higher the download speed, the more data you will download, and the more data you download, the more ISP bandwidth you are going to eat up! And when you eat up more ISP bandwidth, the more you slow down their network, and the more you slow down there network ther slower the speeds are going to be for the rest of the users. The bottom line is your downloads affects other users speeds!:D

Let's take an example, couple of your neighbours are downloading huge amounts of data at say 2Mpbs throughput speed. Now, you can also download data at 2Mbps, right? Wrong!! Your download througput would probably be around say 1.2 to 1.5. Would you be happy with that? The answer is NO! If I knew my neighbour was doing that, then I would thrash him up and make sure that we all get equal download speeds!

So, the bottom line is, if there is no download limits, we wouldn't use our connection judisiously and download anything that we get for free online!

Even at Demon, the capped limit is 50GB for home users. Wait! it's not at Rs250! It costs exactly 20 pounds, that's 20x75Rs=1500Rs/month and that's the starting price. And, after the 8Mbps lines started, Demon is the only provider which offers maximum download of 50GB, other ISP will give users anywhere upto 30GB.

The point is, we all dream of getting unlimited downloads at extremely cheap prices but the truth is, it doesn't happen anywhere in the world. The best things don't come cheap and noting is free!

BSNL atleast gives unmetered access during offpeak hours(night). Why are we all cribbing about more data download when we never downloaded that much data off the internet? We all want to download more because of the simply fact that now it's faster, not really because we want to download it!

What we all need to do is to discipline ourselves and use our services responsibly, then some day the service providers will increase the download limits! Happy surfing!:cool:

shankar_ganesh

Journeyman
gimme 2 mbps speed first of all to 900UL users
no disconnections pls
proper customer support pls
please...
if this is done, i'll be the happiest... i won't even need 8mbps :)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Help~Is~Here said:
You see, we all want unlimited broadband so that we can download more videos which are pirated, more softwares which again are pirated and more music which is again hmmm.. lemme see.. is illegal.

I'm certainly not against piracy and I would do the same if I had an internet connection. But, the point is, we have all learnt to misuse what we have.:D

Ever heard of something called a Linux distro?

Well I have a dedicated PC for trying distros @ my friend's place and I am the one with net access, we switch distros every week so downloading with the speeds and caps is a pain in the you know what?

The point is there is a lot to download except pirated stuff like podcasts, vidcasts, linux and BSD distros. So we can use high speed ulnlimited connections perfectly on the right side of law;)

santu_29

Journeyman
Help~Is~Here said:
We, the Unsatisfied Technologists

It's Quite unbelieveble that although technology has managed to grow so fastly and discipline itself, we ourselves have lost our discipline:(

I'm certainly not against piracy and I would do the same if I had an internet connection. But, the point is, we have all learn to misuse what we have.:D

No service provider gives anyone a Home Broadband connection with unlimited download limits. Reason? Because they are the same humans that we are and they all are well aware that the more speed we have, the more data we all are going to download.

One thing that we all need to understand is that so far, BSNL is the only service provider that has managed to provide us a good price/GB download ratio. Take any other service provider in India and I bet that the prices will be slightly higher when comparing all the Home packages.

Why do you think that there are no download limits on a 56K modem connection? Because ISP's know that even if you download data 24x7 with that speed, you are not going to exceed a certain limit. But that all changes when it comes to broadband.

Why am I supporting ISP?

Because, I work for an ISP. No, it's not BSNL or Airtel or any other Indian ISP. It's called 'Demon'. It's an ISP in the UK.

8Mbps speed was introduced 2 years back in the UK and till then Demon was the only service provider that gave unlimited downloads. But After 8Mbps came in it was a necessity to introduce capped download limits.

The Reason For Capping Download Limits?

The reason is simple. The more higher the download speed, the more data you will download, and the more data you download, the more ISP bandwidth you are going to eat up! And when you eat up more ISP bandwidth, the more you slow down their network, and the more you slow down there network ther slower the speeds are going to be for the rest of the users. The bottom line is your downloads affects other users speeds!:D

Let's take an example, couple of your neighbours are downloading huge amounts of data at say 2Mpbs throughput speed. Now, you can also download data at 2Mbps, right? Wrong!! Your download througput would probably be around say 1.2 to 1.5. Would you be happy with that? The answer is NO! If I knew my neighbour was doing that, then I would thrash him up and make sure that we all get equal download speeds!

So, the bottom line is, if there is no download limits, we wouldn't use our connection judisiously and download anything that we get for free online!

Even at Demon, the capped limit is 50GB for home users. Wait! it's not at Rs250! It costs exactly 20 pounds, that's 20x75Rs=1500Rs/month and that's the starting price. And, after the 8Mbps lines started, Demon is the only provider which offers maximum download of 50GB, other ISP will give users anywhere upto 30GB.

The point is, we all dream of getting unlimited downloads at extremely cheap prices but the truth is, it doesn't happen anywhere in the world. The best things don't come cheap and noting is free!

BSNL atleast gives unmetered access during offpeak hours(night). Why are we all cribbing about more data download when we never downloaded that much data off the internet? We all want to download more because of the simply fact that now it's faster, not really because we want to download it!

What we all need to do is to discipline ourselves and use our services responsibly, then some day the service providers will increase the download limits! Happy surfing!:cool:
i don't exactly agree with that. i agree with 'kumarmohit' that there is a lot to do over the net than pirated and illegal stuff. yes its true that that that isps use caps to limit download ratio and save bandwidth, but there are many isps like virgin who are providing upto 2mbps unlimited downloads. who thought of that 2 years ago.. 2 mbps unlimited. so another 2 years why not upto 8mbps unlimited. you say there is a need to cap data ratio to preserve bandwidth but will the bandwidth remain same always.. it was wires, and now optical cables... bandwidth is always increasing and so will speed. 50gb home use for 20 pounds= Rs.1500.. conversions.. well i guess its something like.. Average UK salary is around 700 pounds = Rs.56,031 (as per national survey of uk), ur isp charges 20 pounds= Rs1500, average indian salary is around 500$ which is around Rs.20,100 and isp (taking bsnl here) charges Rs.3300 for 20gb only at upto 2mbps.. so its 1500 out of 50000 as compared to 3300 out of 20000.. dont know how u comparing dude.. ? both economies are far different. Demon had cap of 50 gb.. thats a good amount of data dude :). all want do download faster .. true.. who wants to be slow.. you say 8mbps i am waiting for 8gbps, techs like intel Gigabit are here.. I see tomorrow, you speak of yesterday... No Offense.. sorry if any of my data is incorrect.. EnJoY :)

akshar

Broken In
How many applications are we supposed to write for that?
And I guess the waiting period will be at least 2 years? By the time we get it in our house something else will show up on horizon

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Even at Demon, the capped limit is 50GB for home users. Wait! it's not at Rs250! It costs exactly 20 pounds, that's 20x75Rs=1500Rs/month and that's the starting price.
err a newspaper in India costs Rs.5 max. In US its a dollar! 1$ = 1 *40 = Rs 40
You just can't convert $'s into rupees and compare.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Well, the article is dated 14 March 2007. Times when we had an young and energetic Minister who wanted to open up technology to the max. Now we have a different minister, who at best cannot understand difference between wi-fi and wi-max.

I too hope this happens soon, but, ... I am having my fingers crossed as of now.

chesss said:
err a newspaper in India costs Rs.5 max. In US its a dollar! 1$ = 1 *40 = Rs 40
You just can't convert $'s into rupees and compare.

The reason I compared the price is because, Demon is the most costliest ISP in the UK. It's minimum package is 20pounds. Whereas other ISP can offer packages for as low as 5pounds. But all those ISP's have downloads caps at 4-10GB. So now you can compare 5 pounds with Indian ISP and realise that we are getting a price per GB service that is quite par with other countries like the UK.

The point is, if you want more bandwidth than normal email and browsing purposes, pay for it. Don't expect everything to be for free or cheaper than Rs250/- a month. Best things don't come free. And like BSNL's plans, If you want more bandwidth, pay more! that's what every ISP in the world has to say!

Last edited:

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
People should stop comapring developed countries with India. It will take time......Asia doesnt have strong Internet backbone compared to US and Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom