BSNL EVDO Experience

ssb1551

Technomancer
Due to the lack of availability options of ISP at my place I had to take a cable broadband connection of 512kbps(unlimited download).But for the past fortnight or so the download speed goes down to 15-35kbps after around 1/2 P.M. n it stays like that till morning 3/4.A 100MB file takes around 1hr to download between the above mentioned time which goes without saying is really bugging me.Thus I was thinking of applying for BSNL's EVDO connection.So I request members of TDF who are(or know someone) using EVDO connection to please share their experiences(like how much is the download speed,whether are there any frequent disconnections or not & others) with me so I can decide whether to go for it or not.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
bsnl 3g would definitely be a better option than the evdo... in terms of speed
but when it comes to unlimited plan.. evdo is cheaper

find out from exchange how far is the evdo tower from your place
if it is close get the evdo... u'll get good speeds

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
bsnl 3g would definitely be a better option than the evdo... in terms of speed
but when it comes to unlimited plan.. evdo is cheaper

find out from exchange how far is the evdo tower from your place
if it is close get the evdo... u'll get good speeds

I went to their office today morning to inquire about the unlimited plans(750 bucks per month).But I didn't ask about their tower location.I'll do that tomorrow,oh CRAP!tomo is Sunday.Gotta wait till Mon then.But hey thanks for the info!!
Whats the usual speed(download speed) u get?Can I expect a minimum of 64kbps download speed in EVDO?

ssk_the_gr8

I went to their office today morning to inquire about the unlimited plans(750 bucks per month).But I didn't ask about their tower location.I'll do that tomorrow,oh CRAP!tomo is Sunday.Gotta wait till Mon then.But hey thanks for the info!!
Whats the usual speed(download speed) u get?Can I expect a minimum of 64kbps download speed in EVDO?

theoretically u can get speeds upto 3.1mbps(around 375 kBps)
but you should get around 200-250 kBps
but as u move further away from the tower it goes down...
if you're quite far then it can go down to like 10-20 kBps so make sure you're close to the tower
so it's not a bad deal

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Even download speed of around 150kbps works for me!!
Hey 1 question : I got a desktop.So to use this EVDO do I need to buy any device or will everything be provided by the BSNL guys?

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Gee!Thanks man!!Gotta go to the BSNL office the 1st thing on Mon & get this stupid Ortel(Local Cable BB) disconnect!!

ssk_the_gr8

^^ u on ortel... lol
thats such a shitty company

there's also a trial period offer with bsnl evdo.. if u're not sure abt speeds or the bsnl guys don't give u a definite answer abt speeds(which is quite possible)
take it

if u get bad speeds return it

Last edited:
OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
:shock:..How do you know about about Ortel?Is it there in your state too??
WOW!!BSNL has trial period offer!!AWESOME!!But I doubt they will give at my place.They(the BSNL office guys at my place) made me a tennis ball just to get info on unlimited EVDO plans!But anyways I'll give it a try!!Man thanks a lot on all the info you have given me so far!!

ssk_the_gr8

yes it is... it's a bad company
talk to bsnl and tell me abt ur experience cuz i've always had bad experiences

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^I hope the "bad experiences" are only from "talking" point of view & not from the services offered:p..Will tell ya about it.Hope there's a EVDO tower nearby my place!!Can't stand the slow download speeds of Ortel anymore:banghead:!!

BTW do they have special towers for EVDO service or the normal mobile communication towers is used for EVDO?

ssk_the_gr8

EVDO uses a regular tower but with an upgrade
... they generally only upgrade the tower at the main exchange
how far are u from the main exchange of your city?

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Well from the main exchange tower my house is around 6-7km or maybe a little less.Is that good or bad?

ssk_the_gr8

thats good.... if networks in good condition and not very crowded..
u'll easily get 100 kBps + speeds

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hi,

I've question, does BSNL EVDO have constant speed despite of number of user using at any given time ?

I mean increasing of user speed goes down right ? Or is it applicable for 3g Data Card also ?

Or shall I stick to wired BSNL Broadband connection ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

3g DataCard connection have a promotion offer, like charging 4200 rs for prepaid and for 6months u get unlimited which is 700/month which is I find very cost effective than my current 750UL+ connection.

ssk_the_gr8

^^ yes it does happen in evdo and the 3g .... this will always happen with wireless internet
as the users increase speed will decrease
with wired connection u'll get constant speed
the 4200 offer is good but it a promotional one.. later it might become costly again..
do u know till when is this offer available? the 4200 promotional one
i heard it's available till 20th dec or something?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
*img404.imageshack.us/img404/9026/bsnl3gdatacardfestivalo.th.jpg

In this screen it says 90 Days from 1/11/2010 so it must be valid until 31st Jan 2011.

Update:-
Got the direct link

*bsnl.co.in/images/BSNL_3G_data_card_Festival_Offer_Ad_1_1.jpg

Top Bottom