Browser War - Take your pick

IMO, the best Browser is:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Beta 1 was released very soon after that for all the "ppl" to test it themselves.

What makes this whole thing interesting is the fact that Firefox did not choose to sue MS, wonder why? 'coz they have enough users and also have the distros bundling Firefox. Opera, no. Opera had no choice, MS was an easy target. Sue firefox the whole internet will fall on you, because it is "open source". Opera was no where, it could not sue Firefox, it had to sue MS before IE 8 beta was out, otherwise they would lose the smallest bit of ray of hope that would give them some support, ie. IE's incomplete adherance to "web standards". That is the whole problem. Heck, Apple came out with Safari for WIndows, they even cheekily bundled it with iTunes uypdate. They could have sued MS for IE. They did not, 'coz Safari has it's share of OS X users. It was Opera who was no where on any of the platforms, even though it is as good as members here claim it tobe. It was no where in terms of usage. MS was an easy target, they were being investigated, so the easiest and safest solution that will get you good will and some support - Sue MS.
Why did FF not sue MS? Straight forward answer - Mozilla is a very different company than Opera. Opera has to survive in the market.. pay it employees.. if comptt. crushes it with unfair means it will go bankrupt.. so fight till you are right.. as for FF, if mozilla shuts down FF will be taken over by the OSS community.

Why did Apple not sue MS? They haf better things to worry, like the upcoming Snow Leopard! :D

I'll give you a classic example.. You must've known about the recent protests in Kerala with regards to Reliance stores selling veggies. The small farmers protested.. why? coz farming is the main business for them.. similarly opera is a company totally reliant on its web browser and a for-profit organization. I'm not blaming MS here... or not-blaming opera here.. as the saying goes, when you are become big, every small action of yours is taken note of.. and everyone will try to extract as much as possible from you. Pallab rightly said: With power comes responsibility.

not only Internet exploder , M$ windows itself is a monopoly.this monopoly forced hardware vendors to give drivers only for window$ ,without considering better Operating Systems like GNU/Linux ,mac etc.

Luckily , with Vi$ta ,this monopoly is slowly nosing down :p .
M$ is responsible for the current ecosystem ,where only window$ is used by world countries ,may be except CHINA .what Governments should do is to concentrate on "eradicating" reliance on Window$ and M$.this way ,we can have a sane ecosystem ,where all OS competes each other ,unlike current M$ monopoly,DRM and more.

also ,the $$$$'s which can be saved by not using/buying window$ License is huge!thing !
IMO , GNU/Linux is ready for Desktop user.provided his IQ must be above 80 :rolleyes:
Sir... sorry to inform you but this thread has got NOTHING TO DO WITH WINDOWS OR GNU/LINUX OR ANYTHING.. so plz keep your "wise" guidance outta this thread! Go create a new thread for it...

And sorry boss, my IQ is only 40 and I've been officially declared a RETARD by the doctors, yet I use Linux distros.. so am I violating any law here?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I'll give you a classic example.. You must know about the recent protests in Kerala with regards to Reliance stores selling veggies. The small farmers protested.. why? coz farming is the main business for them.. similarly opera is a company totally reliant on its web browser and a for-profit organization. I'm not blaming MS here... or not-blaming opera here.. has the saying goes, when you are become big, every small action of yours is taken note of.. and everyone will try to extract as much as possible from you. Pallab rightly said: With power comes responsibility.
Infra: again I shall say this, With power comes responsibility, MS took note of that IE 7 & 8 are hard evidence and proof of that. But, you still keep on saying the same thing. MS talked about IE 8 being "standards" compliant Opera knew that before IE 8 comes out they should sue MS else they won't get the little support "standard" compliance would get them. IE 8 comes out, it is standards compliant, now they lose the whole plot on which their complaint is based. That is what I am trying to say. If standards were so much an issue, MS would have been sued long back by Apple, Mozilla even Netscape could have.

praka123

left this forum longback
infradude said:
I'll give you a classic example.. You must've known about the recent protests in Kerala with regards to Reliance stores selling veggies. The small farmers protested.. why? coz farming is the main business for them..
you are wrong here.communists esp protested because ,small shop owners will loss their business. who the hell told farming got scope in Kerala(except rubber) :lol: vegetable items all are procured from either taamil nadu or karnataka. :|

....continue please!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Infra: again I shall say this, With power comes responsibility, MS took note of that IE 7 & 8 are hard evidence and proof of that. But, you still keep on saying the same thing. MS talked about IE 8 being "standards" compliant Opera knew that before IE 8 comes out they should sue MS else they won't get the little support "standard" compliance would get them. IE 8 comes out, it is standards compliant, now they lose the whole plot on which their complaint is based. That is what I am trying to say. If standards were so much an issue, MS would have been sued long back by Apple, Mozilla even Netscape could have.
Dude.. I'm saying the same thing as you! What I'm saying is that Opera took the opportunity and sued MS before IE8 beta came out as they weren't too sure about its stds. compliance (nobody believes MS' claims!). At that time there was no proof of IE8 being stds. compliance.

I've already posted my opinion regarding why its not important for Mozilla or Apple from a business point of view. Also during the dayz of Netscape the scenario was much different. Ask the coders of that time if they had to deal with so much mess as they do today to make the sites compatible with all browsers. What I'm saying is that Opera's true intention was fight against the wrong, not in the consumer's interest but for their interest and survival.

you are wrong here.communists esp protested because ,small shop owners will loss their business. who the hell told farming got scope in Kerala(except rubber) :lol: vegetable items all are procured from either taamil nadu or karnataka. :|

....continue please!
Aah yes.. thanks for correcting me :) The whole point I wanted to make was that with these things, small "shop owners" (analogous to Opera) would be on the losing side.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
What I'm saying is that Opera's true intention was fight against the wrong, not in the consumer's interest but for their interest and survival.
It was not fight against the wrong, coz everyone knew that the wrong was being corrected swiftly. It was a fight for survival & interest. It was not against monopoly. If it were against monopoly, they could have sued canonical for bundling firefox.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Lemme answer it sentence by sentence...

It was not fight against the wrong, coz everyone knew that the wrong was being corrected swiftly.
Come again... swiftly... ??? You said swiftly??? lol :lol:

It was a fight for survival & interest.
Yes, I think the same. But the reason behind the case would actually benefit the common man, if corrected (and it is, since IE8 is much better than prev. versions)

It was not against monopoly.
Only when you are dominant in the market can you abuse your powers! Go ask an MLA who's lost elections, he's the best example :D

If it were against monopoly, they could have sued canonical for bundling firefox.
Canonical can't bundle Opera as its not opensource, heck! it doesn't even bundle mp3 codecs due to that! Does that mean Ogg is a monopoly?

When you compare things, think logically!

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I'm not a fan of Microsoft or hate Opera or anything, but I find myself agreeing with whatever iMav is saying here.

Asfaq

Keyboard addict
*jumps into the conversation without reading previous posts like a n00b*
Opera is the 1337, FTW!!!! (har har har)

my 1337 browser is Konqueror... its so 1337 that I can't even use it properly.
Other than that, Firefox is the biggest 1337 browser, if you customise it to your needs via extentions.

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
Looks like Firefox wins.
This thread isn't as active as before. My post was about 1.5 months ago and only one post after that post.

FireFOX is best cuz all the good features of IE and Opera can be downloaded as "extensions" and "add-on" in FireFox.

The bad part about FireFox is that in certain cases, u have profile related problems and Bookmarks dissapear. ANd sometimes, the default Download Manager loses integration into Firefox, even if u havent changed any settings

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
FireFOX is best cuz all the good features of IE and Opera can be downloaded as "extensions" and "add-on" in FireFox.

Heh, I'll tell you the corollary: Opera is best cuz all the features that are downloaded as "extensions" and "add-on" is already present by default in Opera. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom