• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Re: Best Browser!!!

Indyan said:
Excuse me.
If you can give me proof and backup your claims about Firefox being 3x faster than Opera. Opera is much faster than Fx in rendering JS and CSS, which makes it overall the faster browser ?

I.

LOL, have you ever tried a Firefox v2.0 RC3??
Try and u'll get the proof.....
But the speed diff between Opera 8585 and FF RC3 is not much .but still ff is a little faster..

Plus if u talk about features firefox has unlimited features...you just can't go about saying that ''Its the websites fault that it fails to render in Opera'' after all its you who is going to need the site! :D

Features like Adblock with which u can block ads ,spell check,no script for security etc... are not available in Opera...

I agree that Opera looks more organized...but for a NET addict FF is better...who has all the time to enhance it...

Last edited:

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth

Opera iam yet to see a match for opera
been using Opera since 2 yrs with all its features its turned me into a die hard fan .Opera YOU ROCK!!!! :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

samrulez said:
Plus if u talk about features firefox has unlimited features...you just can't go about saying that ''Its the websites fault that it fails to render in Opera'' after all its you who is going to need the site! :D
You can fix any site that does not support Opera in two seconds by editing the individual site preferences. In case you do not know how to go about doing that, I described it in this post. So you, as an end user, won't suffer from incompatibility problems when using the best browser on Earth.

samrulez said:
Features like Adblock with which u can block ads ,spell check,no script for security etc... are not available in Opera...
I keep saying this, why don't you guys research your facts before posting them on public forums? 'Block content...' and 'Check spelling' are built right into Opera and I don't know what this 'no script for security' is - mind enlightening me?

samrulez said:
I agree that Opera looks more organized...but for a NET eddict FF is better...who has all the time to enhance it...
Sorry! I am a 'NET eddict' (A-D-D-I-C-T) too but I would rather spend my time reading wonderful articles and downloading stuff from the internet than searching around for good extensions in a HUGE library, just so that I can make my browser usable. You might think this is extreme but seriously, I find Firefox utterly useless in it's default state.

Now since you started the topic, let me tell you a few wonderful features of Opera that I could not find on Firefox's download site (they may be there but they are buried deep inside and some may even not be there).
1. Trash
When I had to use Firefox with Vista for the short period, I became very very frustrated with it's inability to restore any pages that I had accidently or purposely closed and wanted them back. In Opera, it not only restores the page, it restores it exactly at the same place the tab was on the tab bar and it restores the whole session, i.e., all the history associated with the page. If you were filling a form when you close the page, even the text field in the form that you had already filled are restored. And since it restores everything from the cache, it is instantaneous. I absolutely LOVE this feature!

2. Creating custom searches
I know there is a method to do it in Firefox but I found it very complicated. In Opera, you right-click on any search box, select 'Create search...', enter the keyword to use for the search and hit return. Done! You can now search that site from your address bar itself using the keyword you entered.

3. Open new tab next to active
When you middle click on any link in Opera, it opens the new tab in the background and right next to the active tab. This helps keep my tab bar organised and I fell very uncomfortable with the default setting of opening all tabs on the extreme right.

4. Sessions
I know there is an extension for it, but this feature is implemented much better in Opera. It automatically saves your sessions for you and allows you to create custom sessions. I know it is quite similar in Firefox but I like Opera's version better.

5. Mouse gestures
I know you can enable mouse gestures in Firefox but they are over sensitive. When you right click your mouse and drag it to the left or right, you are bound to move your hand slightly during the operation and it often results in the drag being less than perfect. Firefox very often understands it to be a drag in two different directions and either implements a wrong command or nothing at all. In Opera, it seems to be intelligent. It very rarely happens that I drag the mouse to the left or right and Opera misunderstands it. And I don't know why this is but in Firefox when I use the mouse gesture for 'Back', the pages load very slowly (maybe it re-downloads parts of the page). It is very frustrating when I think the gesture did not work and do it again and then I find that I have moved back two pages. Due to this irritants, I found myself dispensing with the mouse gestures and using the buttons instead, which was a pain as I had gotten used to the nifty gestures in Opera.

6. Dragging tabs to new windows
If you have two windows of Opera open, you can drag tabs from one windows to the other, and I found no extension for it in Firefox.

7. Voice controlled browsing
Opera supports it and Firefox doesn't (though I don't really use it now that I have a Mac and it has a very good 'Speech' feature).

8. Show me all my tabs
In Opera, no matter how many tabs you open, they will keep resizing but will fit in the same window. Firefox, however, only manages about fifteen tabs on my 1600x1200 screen and then added a really irritating scroll button to access the other tabs.

9. Picture is downloaded for saving
In Firefox, when you right click on any picture and select 'Save image as', it opens the downloads window and downloads the picture again. Why? Why can't it just copy the image from the cache to my preferred location in the background, like Opera (and IE and any other browser)?

10. Reload from cache
In Opera, you can view the source of a page and edit it and then select 'Reload from cache'. The page will be re-loaded to reflect the changes you made to the code. It's a good feature that is lacking in Firefox.

11. Search from the address bar
Is there any way to search on sites other than Google straight from the address bar in Firefox? There may be, but I am unaware of it. I like this feature in Opera.

12. Address bar changes to status bar
The most space efficient way to view the progress in detail while a page is being opened is to set the option to show the progress bar inside the address bar in Opera. Another feature I cannot live without and is absent in Firefox.

13. Native skin
You can change Opera's skin to reflect the native skin of your operating system without downloading any additional skins. And if you change the UI of your operating system, Opera's skin will also change to reflect that.

14. Advanced RSS reader
The in-built RSS reader in Opera is more advanced than the one in Firefox. You can sort your feeds by marking them with labels.

15. Open all folder items
... but please don't close the ones already open. I bookmarked a lot of sites into one folder in Firefox and later when I was browsing, I chose to open all the items in the folder. To my utter surprise and frustration, it closed all the open tabs and opened the bookmarks instead without even giving me so much as a warning. And to top it off, it did not open the bookmarks on top of the already open tabs, it closed those tabs and opened new ones which meant that I could not recover the pages using the 'Back' button. Aarrgh!

Those are the ones I can think of right now. Will post later if I remember more. So, do you Firefox fans have some replies for me? :?

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

@pallab for the third one use this *addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3082/. I don't know about the other two. I use Firefox more for orkut. Cos orkut scrap helper is a nice add-on, hope we get something like that for Opera.

spyingshadow

Broken In

I hv used IE7, Firefox1.5.0.7 n Opera 9.02
I'll get IE out of reckoning as it has nothing major of its own that gives it any edge.
Opera is the beauty. WIth it's innovative style n design, its superior tabbed browsing, session saving n high security, its certainly cool option.

My choice : FIREFOX
it is fox, but it should be called tiger. Its so fast, that the page which opens in 3s, opens in a blink's time in firefox (with broadband that is). Its highly customizable with the option of abou:firefox . None beat it in speed. agreed, Opera is more innovative, but would u mind going on a Donkey if its faster than a horse? i want speed n custom building, n firefox provides just that. What's more u can make it a little more like opra with all those extensions available.
The fox is the way to go PEOPLE

Sykora

I see right through you.

@spyingshadow

It's interesting how the one thing you like about firefox more than opera is what opera is actually good at. :)

Read this : *www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

Third Eye

gooby pls

Sykora said:
@spyingshadow

It's interesting how the one thing you like about firefox more than opera is what opera is actually good at. :)

Read this : *www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

friefox works faster than opera in my pc...don't know why.. and this link sucks...i don't find much difference b/w their speed

Sykora

I see right through you.

What do you mean the link sucks? Did you read the entire article?

satyamy

Alive Again...

actually whenever i need internet (if my My Computer is open) i just type the name of my site & internet explorer automatically opens it
so never thought to go to any other
now the browser which win here in poll
i'll try that one

Third Eye

gooby pls

@sykora: i don't care who wins...ff runs faster best on my system that why i singing praise of it..

Sykora

I see right through you.

I can agree with that. But then what's the point of this thread? Each person will say that their favorite browser outperforms all others on their machines. Nobody will convince anyone otherwise, so there is no way to decide "The best browser".

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta

er those who voted for exploder, have they even tried anything except the idiot exploiter?

kjuvale

Pharmaguru

I love opera simply for it show cached images only feature which i think wasnt available in ff1.5 (dont know about ff 2).

Root2

Right off the assembly line

fire fox rockzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz alwayzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

ferrarif50

Journeyman

Another Firefox vs Internet Explorer debate. Hoop di doo da! Both are good browsers. Both have their use/place.

Who cares if IE is shipped with Windows. Who cares if MS is "evil", Seeing as Firefox is shipped with Linux, does that not make Linux monopolistic too? Bla bla bla.

If you like IE, use it, if you don't, don't use it. If you like Firefox, use it, if you don't, don't use it! Its not hard! Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom