Bridge camera under INR 10K

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
FZ30/50 are tooooooo old, older than FZ28. Don't go older than FZ35...

oh ok! i was going by the numbers. but anyway, i think in lumix series, i would want FZ50. and have took out the finepix S3300 from the list now after some more reading up. now, would concentrate more on canon cameras (due to CHDK support :p) + lumix FZ50 + P90 as it is.

i have got an offer for canon S5I S. i will wait some more time for an offer for SX10 IS though. as a last resort, even S5 IS would suffice for me, as a learner's camera. what do you say?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
The models I suggested are released in 2008/09 or after... S5 is predecessor of SX1, which was a feature rich bridge cam at that time was selling at GBP400. It does support RAW, full HD, CMOS sensor etc...
Here is an ad for SX1

I don't know whether the offer is still open.

For learning any camera with manual controls is fine and good.
what do you say?
I would prefer a old dslr with kit lens or 50mm for learning.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
thanks a lot for that link! i'll check if its still available.

and i had checked an offer of EOS 1000D with 18-55mm kit lens for 14k, but then the seller prompted me to ask a few questions to myself (like whether am ready to move around with atleast a few lenses, the bulky camera, etc.) & upon some self-inquiring, the quick answer was "no!" :( (i trek quite a lot & carrying a bulky dSLR on such ventures is not an attractive proposition to me. for photography hikes it's another matter).

got an offer for SX10 IS near my home....now waiting for the SX1 IS owner's reply.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
hello everyone!

for the bridge camera, am almost done on 2, namely Nikon S5 IS & Nikon P90. its due to my limitation of being able to pay only through EMI currently (via ebay) that i am opting one of these 2, otherwise i had got some good offers for cameras like Sony HX100V, Canon SX10 IS, Canon SX30 IS, & Nikon P510, but none of the sellers were/are willing to list their cameras on ebay for EMI payment, hence my choices, but am not too disheartened :)

okay, so i also need one compact P&S camera for shoot-and-tuck-it-in kind of photography. it SHOULD have a viewfinder (generally they come with optical ones, which is good), and i have finalised these:

1. canon A1200 / A1400
2. nikon P5100

am getting the A1200 new for ~4k, and old for 2.5k, whereas the A1400 being newly launched, retails for ~6k.

a used nikon P5100 is for 10k (3-yrs old). i suspect its a good price for it & i guess i should negotiate for lower.

could anyone please suggest me which compact to buy from these? and if the P5100, what price should i quite for it from my side? the seller is ready to list it on ebay too for EMI payment.

thanks! :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Every time I see your post, I am just wondering.. "why would anyone wanted to buy a near dead compact camera" (no offense man) even after you explained "WHY" :)

If you are getting nice offer for HX100, better take it... It's worthier than S5/P90. Just talk to the seller about paying in 3 installments or you wait for 3 months and save that money to get it (of course he has to hold it till then)

Even last year's A1300 wasn't released in India. A1400 just announced, it will take a month or so to launch. Where do you see the retail price?

There is no comparison between A1200 vs P5100. One is just a basic compact and another one is a large sensor compact.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Every time I see your post, I am just wondering.. "why would anyone wanted to buy a near dead compact camera" (no offense man) even after you explained "WHY" :)

If you are getting nice offer for HX100, better take it... It's worthier than S5/P90. Just talk to the seller about paying in 3 installments or you wait for 3 months and save that money to get it (of course he has to hold it till then)

Even last year's A1300 wasn't released in India. A1400 just announced, it will take a month or so to launch. Where do you see the retail price?

There is no comparison between A1200 vs P5100. One is just a basic compact and another one is a large sensor compact.

thanks for the suggestions! i can understand your bewilderement, since, yes, its really amusing to see one to be going after the things of the past when new & better things can be had easily :)
even 'tkin' above had expressed this, and to him as well did i 'explain' my predicament.

i was also very much keen to buy the HX100 and was very excited, but upon calling up the seller, i recognised that he perhaps isn't net-savvy (you get to know that after talking to someone), and he needed "hard cash!" (in his own words), and am able to pay only through EMI. i could've asked him to list it on ebay & even assuming he could've somehow done that, i wouldn't have been able to pay him through EMI as for new sellers offering EMI as a payment option to buyers isn't possible unless they have 5 or more feedback. so there went 'the great HX100 dream'!

such was the case with almost all the quikr/olx sellers, maximum of them unwilling to list it on ebay (even though paying through EMI means the seller gets the full amount when the item is bought by a buyer, but for absolutely new or fresh sellers, EMI isn't a payment-offering option as i wrote above).

so in the meanwhile, i had/have decided to stay with what's convenient for me, learn using the device, and when the skill & pocket permit, move up the rung.

and the A1200 vs P5100 conclusion you gave was helpful - thanks again! the larger sensor one would obviously give out a better IQ. one more thing - could you please tell me what should i tell him as my offer for that 3-yr old P5100?! he had told me 10k for that.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello everyone!

after buying a bridge camera in urgency, now i finally purchased a Canon RebelXS/EOS 1000D recently in a seconds-deal, and its a very well-maintained piece! glad to have it :)

thank you everyone!

Top Bottom