Bridge camera under INR 10K

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello everyone!

i need to move up from digicam & really like the feel of a bridge camera (having used lumix DMZ FZ-28 earlier). am getting a used Nikon Coolpix P90 for ~9k in a deal. just want to know if its a good deal for it, & whether there's any worthy contender to it in this budget. i need to buy the camera before 15th feb.

thanks in advance!

tkin

Back to school!!
The only cam worth mentioning is this: Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Point & Shoot - Canon: Flipkart.com

But don't expect miracles.

tkin

Back to school!!
not in the same league, but how's canon EOS 1000D for 10k?
With lens? Good, without it I think not, you'd have to spend a lot getting lenses and frankly its a really old model to be spending so much for. I mean its so old it doesn't even support ISO3200, shame for a DSLR.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
thanks! but i have discarded the choice for 1000D now. reason being it would be too cumbersome for me to carry it (or any dSLR) on treks.

tkin

Back to school!!
thanks! but i have discarded the choice for 1000D now. reason being it would be too cumbersome for me to carry it (or any dSLR) on treks.
Yes, do one thing, search local camera shops for FZ150, if you can snag it at 20k it will tramp any cam below it, I got mine for 22k last year, the best camera to carry around for treks.

If you are fixed @ 10k then SX160 is what you should go for, I think you are going for trek on a mountain, then you need atleast 10x+zoom.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
If you emphasis more on form factor, you have very few choices here.

H100
WB100
LZ20
S2980

First three models are new, released in the last quarter of 2012. No idea about their performances and no reviews either. But seems to be they are selling a lot of units. And not many reviews for S2980. So better increase your budget and get a nice bridge camera or relax the form factor and get a decent compact. BTB, how much was it (FZ28) when you bought it??

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Yes, do one thing, search local camera shops for FZ150, if you can snag it at 20k it will tramp any cam below it, I got mine for 22k last year, the best camera to carry around for treks.

If you are fixed @ 10k then SX160 is what you should go for, I think you are going for trek on a mountain, then you need atleast 10x+zoom.

yes now i remember you had posted about your FZ150 in the 'latest purchases' thread. the lumix series is a nice one, but very sadly, i currently can't afford to spend much.
well, i have posted a WTB thread for SX10 IS & SX1 IS for the time-being and will wait for replies. SX160, mmmm, great cam, but am fixed on bridge :oops:

tkin

Back to school!!
yes now i remember you had posted about your FZ150 in the 'latest purchases' thread. the lumix series is a nice one, but very sadly, i currently can't afford to spend much.
well, i have posted a WTB thread for SX10 IS & SX1 IS for the time-being and will wait for replies. SX160, mmmm, great cam, but am fixed on bridge :oops:
See if you can get a second hand FZ150, for example a few shots taken by my FZ150: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cameras-camcorders/118227-photography-thread-233.html#post1825617

A bridge has no equal, the ability to switch from 55 to 600 in 2 secs while taking great shots is something even DSLR's can't manage.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
And there are L series from Nikon, but still NO. Are you looking for used compact??? I am not sure, but better buy new one...

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
If you emphasis more on form factor, you have very few choices here.

H100
WB100
LZ20
S2980

First three models are new, released in the last quarter of 2012. No idea about their performances and no reviews either. But seems to be they are selling a lot of units. And not many reviews for S2980. So better increase your budget and get a nice bridge camera or relax the form factor and get a decent compact. BTB, how much was it (FZ28) when you bought it??

read a review for S2980. not quite impressed. i think i'll make a list like:

1. SX10 IS / SX1 IS
2. P90
3. if all else fails, then taking a drastic step, probably FZ150 then.

i had got the FZ28 for ~9-10k.

See if you can get a second hand FZ150, for example a few shots taken by my FZ150: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cameras-camcorders/118227-photography-thread-233.html#post1825617

A bridge has no equal, the ability to switch from 55 to 600 in 2 secs while taking great shots is something even DSLR's can't manage.

yes. will look for FZ150 in a seconds deal :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
10k??? That's a nice deal. Was that a new one?

Why a 5 year old compact??? I am afraid, it's not worth it...

Last edited:
OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
10k??? That's a nice deal. Was that a new one?

Why a 5 year old compact??? I am afraid, it's not worth it...

it was not a new one, but in great condition and still going good.

sorry, i didn't get what you are referring to by your 2nd line.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I meant, why you wanna buy a camera which was announced 5yr ago and that too a compact (fixed lens small sensor camera).

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
i basically aim for a budget-purchase, with specific requirements, and cameras falling under such those brackets can be had only in seconds deals as of now, being performers from time gone by.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You have been using FZ series bridge. Better look for one from FZ series... like FZ35, FZ100, FZ40, FZ47. Anything after these would cost more than your budget. If not from Canon you have SX1, SX10, SX20, SX30.

tkin

Back to school!!
Well, from one review I read FZ28 is better than P90, and haven't heard great stuff about S3300 either, just stick with FZ28, or upgrade budget, or get a normal superzoom like SX160.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
I feel you should check out sx 160 or older model sx150 if there is not much improvement. In mumbai sx150 retails for 8k.

Around 12k panasonic lz20 would be best bet.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
You have been using FZ series bridge. Better look for one from FZ series... like FZ35, FZ100, FZ40, FZ47. Anything after these would cost more than your budget. If not from Canon you have SX1, SX10, SX20, SX30.

i wouldn't have even thought of getting a camera had i been in possession of the FZ28. it had been taken away by my brother a long time back :|
i am already looking forward to offers for the SX10 IS. will include some from FZ series as well now (perhaps 30 or 50).

Well, from one review I read FZ28 is better than P90, and haven't heard great stuff about S3300 either, just stick with FZ28, or upgrade budget, or get a normal superzoom like SX160.

yes, even i read that. and for S3300, i read that some finepix cameras are great for macro shots, but i don't know if S3300 is one of them. FZ28 is being used by my brother, otherwise there wouldn't have been any issue. aur budget ke to kya kehne! :oops:

I feel you should check out sx 160 or older model sx150 if there is not much improvement. In mumbai sx150 retails for 8k.

Around 12k panasonic lz20 would be best bet.

thanks for the suggestions sandy! but i have a few 'nakhrey' - need one with a VF, should preferably have a swivel-screen, etc., etc.

Top Bottom