BOOT Menu option = SuSE+Fedora Core 4 +Win XP=

Status
Not open for further replies.

adi87

Journeyman
i had insatlled winxp pro. after that i installed SuSE 9.1 personal edition.
I wud get a SuSE interface asking which to start. all was fine.
After xp crashed, i installed it again. But since then no OS option came during boot.
Today i installd Fedora Core 4 ( SuSE still there but no access to it).
And now i get to choose only between Fedora and Win XP.
Plz some one tell me how to fix this prob. I wanna hv an option for SuSE, Fedora, as well as Xp. How can this be done ??????

Satissh S

Youngling
I assume that you are using Grub ,
Edit the line kernel , initrd and root(x,y) so that it boots to your SuSe linux, from there you can configure the options permenantly, but i don't know the name of your kernel, so i couldn't help much with that! root(x,y) is your partition,
say you have 2 hdd's
first one is labelled as 0,
second one is labelled as 1,
Let say you have 2 partitions in first one, so
you first parition in first hdd is referred to as root(0,0)
seconf is root(0,1)

If you have say 3 partitions in second one say one for [swap] and one for fedora and other for suse root partition, then the first will be root(1,0) , second root(1,1) and the third is root(1,2) . Hope this helps !

Edit: Forgot to mention,
You don't have to do the above, just boot into fedora and mount the Suse root partiton and open /boot/grub/menu.lst of your SuSe partition and copy the lines that are of title related to suse, and paste them as seperate titles in the /boot/grub/menu.lst of your Fedora install root partition. This will let you boot into SuSe and Fedora and your "other" OS.

The syntax for mount command is
mount -t <FSTYPE> sumthing somewhere
I thing your SuSe FS should generally be reiserFs
I suppose fedora doesn't support reiserfs filesystem, natively so add the following selinux=0 reiserfs to kernel options while booting into fedora. All the best!

OP
A

adi87

Journeyman
Actually i didnt get the grub part.??????
I hv partitioned my 80GB disk into 4 . 2 are NTFS 4 win xp and other 4 fedora and SuSE respectively. I cnt boot into SuSE as there is no option 4 that. As for fedora i m using KDE. is there ne way i cn do frm Win XP?, coz i m a bit of novice with linux.
Also plz guide me step by step. ( Thnx :) )

praka123

left this forum longback
:D Hello first understand YOUR partns by invoking 'fdisk -l' command from your working Fedora installation.you cannot rescue Linux install from wingoose OS..after that mount the partition as he said.ie for eg;
As root(careful!),
make a dir in your /mnt as suse from fedora; as you can boot into fedora.get the partn number from fdisk -l(hint suse mostly defaults in reiserfs file system)so get the partition number (something like hda1,2,3..or sda1..)and mount from CLI(terminal):'mount /dev/sdax /mnt/suse'.go to /mnt/suse folder and open with gedit or any editor like kate,kwrite.. into /mnt/suse/boot/grub/grub.conf or menu.list browse to the entry of suse in the file like (title suse..etc) right click and copy the full entry
like ...
title suse..
root(hd0,x)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz..
initrd /boot/initrd-...
savedefault
boot
Now open your fedora's /boot/grub/grub.conf and paste the suse entry at the last of the file.also check for partn number being the same as you reinstalled windows OS after suse..so sometimes partition number may have shifted by +1..check for that..reboot for suse option in Grub menu of Fedora..dont expect the same as in Windows in Linux....believe U understood wat i explained.. best of Lux :D

If suse uses LILO bootloader,
use the format
title Suse Linux
root(hd0,x)
kernel /boot/(the path of vmlinuz)
initrd /boot/(path of initrd)
savedefault
boot
---------
copy this format into fedora's grub.conf last line ..and reboot

Satissh S

Youngling
@prakash:
1. Won't it error saying that we need to specify the mount point??
2. I think Fedora does not have native support for reiserfs. Correct me if wrong!

praka123

left this forum longback
:D may be wrong!Fedora may not support reiserfs...so the option is to boot with suse 1st cd and u can mount suse partition using it...and follow the procedure..either rescuing suse grub/lilo or add suse entry in Fedora Grub and it possibly will work..also if possible check for rpms for supporting reisefs in Fedora? i don know whether it works.. like:
*dag.wieers.com/packages/progsreiserfs/

OK...leave all these..get a live cd like knoppix and mount(already mounted mostly) suse partition and copy from suse's grub.conf or menu.list entry the suse entry..and reboot and go to Fedora and paste at the last of fedoras grub.conf.hope that will solve ur problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom