Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I am not reading every book from that list. Only the ones which are not part of series and interest me enough.

Yeah, we will compile a list.

kaelthas

Broken In
Read "1984" by George Orwell a month ago. It was an amazing yet draining experience. It gets hard to read because of the disturbing situations near the end of the book. I spent a lot of time thinking about this book after reading it.

Overall its a must read book but only if you are mature enough to understand how deep it is and have a strong stomach.

I have completed The Accidental Prime Minister sometime ago.just because it was on the bestsellers list

Now reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.He has written some good books.Kafka on the shore and 1Q84 is next in the list :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Finished The Giver - Ending felt a bit like The Road, open ended. We all make choices and that's what life is all about. Do we know beforehand the outcome of choices made ? Not necessarily at that moment if we haven't experienced it before. But still it is what we choose to do. Bad or good choices, doesn't matter. And how do we define something we don't even know. Something which our senses are not conditioned to recognize ? Are there feelings and things in world which we can cannot perceive at all ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Completed To Kill a Mockingbird - Not as easy read as The Book Thief but the story told from 10 year old's perspective and the use of language in such clever way warrants a read. Overall an impressive story, well developed characters, nicely intertwined events, with some good lessons in life.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Completed To Sir With Love - Easy read. Autobiography of the author. Back to school memories with some racial prejudices.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Read the following three almost back to back, my mind is a mess now

Do androids dream of electric sheep is a pretty cool book, especially if you look at it in terms of how much our belief system can change due to really bad circumstances. The religion of mercerism, use of mood organs, the huge social pressure to have an animal etc all make you feel that most of what we believe and do, most of what we think as ingrained is actually coming from years of conditioning

1984: Again, very cool. A look at how much can go wrong if you have a selfish government

Brave new world: The very opposite of the world in 1984, how far we can mess up if we decide to ensure that everyone is as happy as possible. becomes a little too confusing towards the end, but still a great read

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Read the following three almost back to back, my mind is a mess now

Do androids dream of electric sheep is a pretty cool book, especially if you look at it in terms of how much our belief system can change due to really bad circumstances. The religion of mercerism, use of mood organs, the huge social pressure to have an animal etc all make you feel that most of what we believe and do, most of what we think as ingrained is actually coming from years of conditioning

1984: Again, very cool. A look at how much can go wrong if you have a selfish government

Brave new world: The very opposite of the world in 1984, how far we can mess up if we decide to ensure that everyone is as happy as possible. becomes a little too confusing towards the end, but still a great read
Started Brave new world.

Oh I loved this book. And the love motivated me to watch the movie which sucked.
Book was good enough. Have you read To Kill a Mocking Bird ?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Started Brave new world.

Book was good enough. Have you read To Kill a Mocking Bird ?

No, seen the movie though *www.imdb.com/title/tt0056592/

b/w, I see you are venturing out to other genres than sci-fi. I would like to recommend you "Chaos walking" series by Patrick Ness

Book 1 : Knife of never letting go
Book 2: The ask and the answer
Book 3: Monsters of men

P.S. I was unallocated at the time I read them. Finished first book in two days. Couldn't control the curiosity and ordered the other two from flipkart. Finished all in one week! You may like it. 10% sci-fi and 90% drama/adventure/thriller

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Sorry for going offtopic. I really want to ask. All of you guys are working. How do you guys manage to finish these books too. I know all of you play games too.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Completed A Brave New World - I'd trade happiness and stability over truth and love.

It's like how closer a society can get to perfection. I kind of agree with the idea.

Sorry for going offtopic. I really want to ask. All of you guys are working. How do you guys manage to finish these books too. I know all of you play games too.
Few stopped playing games and watching movies for a while just like me. It's about priorities.

- - - Updated - - -

No, seen the movie though To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - IMDb

b/w, I see you are venturing out to other genres than sci-fi. I would like to recommend you "Chaos walking" series by Patrick Ness

Book 1 : Knife of never letting go
Book 2: The ask and the answer
Book 3: Monsters of men

P.S. I was unallocated at the time I read them. Finished first book in two days. Couldn't control the curiosity and ordered the other two from flipkart. Finished all in one week! You may like it. 10% sci-fi and 90% drama/adventure/thriller

Thanks. Will look into that. I usually buy on kindle store.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Completed Matilda - Simple story. I would have liked it very much as a child. But now it seems nothing extraordinary and replete of one dimensional characters. Still a good easy read within a day.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Completed The Madman and Of Mice and Men. Both are worth the reads. The Madman is more about wisdom and poetry. Of Mice an Men is a compelling story within hundred pages.

Anyone here read Neil Gaiman? I'm thinking about starting with Stardust.

Stardust is good. Different ending than the movie.

Neo

Read these in the past month or so:

1. A thousand splendid suns: Just read this masterpiece. Totally loved it.

2. Inferno, Dan Brown

3. Da vinci code, Dan Brown

4. The alchemist

5. Lux Series(set of 5 books) : hot female main character, had great action but was so girly.

6. Bloodlines Series (5 books, one is yet to come) : strong female protagonist, vampires and magic. Was really hooked up to it.

Is female protagonist the new trend or something? Tris from Divergent and katnis from hunger games are just so hot.

After reading some of dan brown's, i can fairly say that Robert Langdon is quite the runner xD

need some suggestions in YA, Sci-fi, fiction, thriller or well anything in general.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Read these in the past month or so:

1. A thousand splendid suns: Just read this masterpiece. Totally loved it.

2. Inferno, Dan Brown

3. Da vinci code, Dan Brown

4. The alchemist

5. Lux Series(set of 5 books) : hot female main character, had great action but was so girly.

6. Bloodlines Series (5 books, one is yet to come) : strong female protagonist, vampires and magic. Was really hooked up to it.

Is female protagonist the new trend or something? Tris from Divergent and katnis from hunger games are just so hot.

After reading some of dan brown's, i can fairly say that Robert Langdon is quite the runner xD

need some suggestions in YA, Sci-fi, fiction, thriller or well anything in general.
Until you read "Angels and Demons"...your 'Dan Brown' knowledge is incomplete.
Must read book....

Top Bottom