World without End
Azazel
Everything by Jim Corbett
Black Swan Green

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Finished reading Watchmen yesterday. The movie suddenly seems crappy in comparison.

Alan Moore is a genius.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yeh they changed the ending
The Graphic Novel was more cinematic than the movie, panels were like a storyboard
Expected the movie to follow the visuals of the graphic novel for the Dr. Manhattan sequences, which they didn't
Expected the movie to show the doomsday clock getting closer and closer to 12, which they didn't
Tales of the Black Freighter animation is good though

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I actually think the storyline of an alien attack would have been more effective than saying that Dr. Manhattan is trying to kill humanity. The best part was how indepth the comic goes into each character.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, the depth of the story is remarkable in the Graphic Novel. Though the movie was close and could have been good, but because they changed the plot significantly, it became crap. Alan Moore didn't take any credit for the movie.

I haven't seen the Tales Of The Black Freighter animation. Is it part of the movie or is it separate?

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
The Little Prince
The Old man and the Sea
Roald Dalh Books (awesome collection)
Of Mice and Man
The Giver
Fahrenheit 451
The Good Earth
Brave New World
The Secret Garden

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^Search on goodreads. If somebody knew here, you would have got recommendations.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

I see that Things Fall Apart is from same continent. Do check it out, it's a good book.

Here is the list of other books on same location:
*www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=✓&query=africa

You can view a book page and the similar recommendations on right hand side. Might get what you want in similarity.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yep Things Fall Apart is good, but kind of difficult to grasp
Roots has allegations of entire pages being copied, but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Completed Confessions. The movie adaptation is as artsy and brilliant as this twisted revenge drama to read in the book.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
*d.gr-assets.com/books/1394487223l/18816603.jpg

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Blurb :

For more than a decade, Jenna Metcalf has never stopped thinking about her mother, Alice, who mysteriously disappeared in the wake of a tragic accident. Refusing to believe that she would be abandoned as a young child, Jenna searches for her mother regularly online and pores over the pages of Alice’s old journals. A scientist who studied grief among elephants, Alice wrote mostly of her research among the animals she loved, yet Jenna hopes the entries will provide a clue to her mother’s whereabouts.

Desperate to find the truth, Jenna enlists two unlikely allies in her quest. The first is Serenity Jones, a psychic who rose to fame finding missing persons—only to later doubt her gifts. The second is Virgil Stanhope, a jaded private detective who originally investigated Alice’s case along with the strange, possibly linked death of one of her colleagues. As the three work together to uncover what happened to Alice, they realize that in asking hard questions, they’ll have to face even harder answers.

As Jenna’s memories dovetail with the events in her mother’s journals, the story races to a mesmerizing finish.

My rating : 8/10

Top Bottom