Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

@vi

Journeyman
I have watched Life Of Pi & enjoyed it to the fullest. Now I bought audiobook of the same to listen while walking in morning.

Btw anyone here listens to audiobooks ? Can anyone suggest me some good audiobooks which I can listen in my morning walk ? Thank you :)

Can anyone tell me how is this book : *www.homeshop18.com/rajinikanth-definitive-biography/author:naman-ramachandran/isbn:9780670086207/books/biography-autobiography/product:30382062/cid:10712/?pos=1

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
Re: Novels recommended by Digitians

Ian Fleming - James Bond Series(14 books)
Stieg Larsson - The Millennium Trilogy(3 books)
J.K.Rowling - Harry Potter series(7 Books)
C.S.Lewis - Chronicles of Narnia(3 Books)
Robert Ludlum - Bourne Series(3 Books)
The Lord of Rings Trilogy - J.R.R.Tolkien
:razz:

hellscream666

Broken In
Hmm I think there are more than 3 books by C.S. Lewis about Narnia, only 3 have been made into movies though

For very light reading : The Myth Adventures series by Robert Asprin
For decently heavy reading : Earthsea series by Ursula Le Guin

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway
A Time To Kill - John Grisham
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Alice in Wonderland - Charles Dickens
And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Ben-Hur - Lewis Wallace
Bloodline - Sidney Sheldon
Charles Frazier - Cold Mountain
Doctor Zhivago - Boris Pasternak
Elizabeth Gilbert - Eat Pray Love
Ellis Bret Easton - American Psycho

Emma - Jane Austen
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift
LA Confidential - James Ellroy
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Mystic River - Dennis Lehane
Nana - Emile Zola
On Stranger Tides - Tim Powers
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane
The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler
The Chamber - John Grisham
The Client - John Grisham
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
The Firm - John Grisham
The Godfather - Mario Puzo
The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien
The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
The Otherside of Midnight - Sidney Sheldon
The Rainmaker - John Grisham
The Reader - Bernhard Schlink
The Runaway Jury - John Grisham
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
To Kill a Mockingbird - Nelle Harper Lee
War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
Wiseguy - Nicholas Pileggi

Agatha Christie (7 books)
Stephen King (27 books)
Twilight Series (4 books)
William Shakespeare (22 books)
2 States - The Story of My Marriage - Chetan Bhagat
3 Mistakes of my life - Chetan Bhagat
A Scanner Darkly - Philip K Dick
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Between a Rock and a Hard Place - Aron Ralston
Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K Dick
Five point Someone - Chetan Bhagat
Gone, Baby, Gone - Dennis Lehane
Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
One Night @ The Call Center - Chetan Bhagat

Paycheck - Philip K Dick
Prince of Thieves - Chuck Hogan
Q&A - Vikas Swarup
Radio Free Albemuth - Philip K Dick
Second Variety - Philip K. Dick
The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
The Minority Report - Philip K Dick
The Lincoln Lawyer - Michael Connelly
Hannibal - Thomas Harris
Hannibal Rising - Thomas Harris
Red Dragon - Thomas Harris
The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris
The Accidental Billionaires The Founding of Facebook A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal - Ben Mezrich

True Grit - Charles Portis
The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman
Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
The Beach - Alex Garland
Lost Horizon - James Hilton
Around the World in 80 days - Jules Verne
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
The Prestige - Christopher Priest

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Charles Lutwidge better known as Lewis Carroll

some classics that got missed
The Good Earth
and The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood ... this one is really old english

Flash

Lost in speed
Zapp: The Squirrel Who Wanted To Fly by Rachit Kinger - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

It's a small book of just 80 pages, and tells the story of 'How zapp (the protagonist, squirrel) travels across the hurdles he faces, to find and experience new frontiers beyond the horizon.Very suitable for bed-time story telling to children, to teach them 'Its the mind, that makes us to accept the defeat and not the body' & 'Whatever happens, go on' stuff of things.

But don't come to the conclusion that it's only for children..

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Have bought this book: Heights of Madness: One Woman's Journey in Pursuit of a Secret War By Myra MacDonald
HEIGHTS OF MADNESS—ONE WOMAN`S JOURNEY IN PURSUIT OF A SECRET WAR
BY
MYRA MACDONALD
RUPA
PAGES: 242; RS. 395
Sitting by the fireside, sipping Old Monk, veterans of Siachen on both sides still exchange exaggerated memories of its maddening heights, where battle heroics become rare feats of mountaineering and the elements are the ultimate arbiters of victory and defeat. What reverberates from the backslapping is regimental honour, pride and the art and skills of high-altitude soldiering.

A Pakistani general says: "India can withdraw a thousand miles and still be India. We can’t afford to withdraw an inch."

Reconciling some of those conflicting accounts of Siachen and adding history to descriptions of battle, Myra MacDonald presents the aptly-titled Heights of Madness in a rivetingly readable way.
Stories about Siachen, the highest battlefield in the world, are legendary, some ironic. Soldiers testing their manhood to impress girlfriends often become impotent, the only colour is white and the enemy isn't Pakistan but the weather gods. Occasional skirmishes and artillery barrages tinge the white with streaks of red. Dementia is frequently induced by the obsession of not losing an inch of ground, but securing more, the higher the better, the sky being the limit.

MacDonald recalls a Pakistani general saying: "India can withdraw a thousand miles and still be India. We can't afford to withdraw an inch." An Indian general recently said: "We should agree to vacate Siachen, provided Pakistan deploys an infantry brigade there". And MacDonald recounts how a Pakistani general had second thoughts. "We should not have reacted to 1984 and let the Indians stay on the passes". In other words, let the Indians stew in their own juice.

The absurdity of this military enterprise began in the 1970s with "cartographic aggression" by Pakistan-sponsored mountaineering expeditions into the Siachen glacier. In a race for the passes, India pre-empted Pakistan in occupying them, triggering off the cold war in the summer of '84. Lt Gen M.L. Chibber, the architect of Operation Meghdoot, told MacDonald that the operation was authorised to prevent a repeat of Aksai Chin, when in 1957 the Chinese secretly built a road in that area, presenting India with a fait accompli which led to war.

The culprits of Siachen are the cartographers. The original sin was committed in 1949 by them in Karachi while drawing the Cease Fire Line (CFL). They ended it at NJ 9842 and vaguely added: "thence north to the Glaciers". Surprisingly, this was not corrected in 1972 when the CFL was converted into the LOC. We live by the errors of the past. So the madness continued, clocking a quarter century, with the conflict escalating and spreading to the adjoining Kargil heights—Pakistan avenging Siachen.

MacDonald describes epic accounts of real and imaginary battles fought on a combination of altitude-induced madness and military discipline, scaling unimaginable heights of courage and bravery. Veterans emphasise the crux of victory and success in Siachen is holding out. And, as MacDonald says, "not losing an inch of ground because recapturing a post is virtually impossible". The sole exception is Bana Singh's conquest of Pakistan's Quaid post at 21,000 feet.

MacDonald gives the Pakistani and Indian versions of the Bana assault, both chilling. After two assault teams were beaten back, Bana and four others led the final charge, surprising the enemy but fighting for every inch, using bombs, bullets, hands and bayonets. MacDonald grilled Bana on how he reached the top. "You don't think. This is the whole point about the army. You never think. You obey orders. You have to complete your mission," he said coldly.

The revenge for the loss of Quaid was inevitable. And Operation Quaidat "would become the nastiest battle so far on Siachen". The plan was a mix of James Bond and Arnold Schwarzenegger. MacDonald says: "It had to be done as the symbolism of military prowess mattered more than victory".

The book does not provide a strategic evaluation or a cost-benefit analysis. It tells stories of Indian and Pakistani soldiers and the mindless battles they fought in defending ground where "not a blade of grass grows". Jawaharlal Nehru used these words about Aksai Chin. But, lost in idealism, he did not prepare the army for war. MacDonald's Siachen is "a place where even the Gods came to find peace", where one learnt humility and the cold truth: that mountains are the ultimate winners in this war.

Once, I complete it, will let you guys know exactly whether it's a good read or not, but, going by the topic covered by it, I thought, it was good, so bought it.

Krow

Crowman
I'm hooked to Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. Read the first two books. If anyone has book 3 onwards, please let me know if you want to lend/donate/sell. :)

DDIF

Custom User Title
I'm hooked to Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. Read the first two books. If anyone has book 3 onwards, please let me know if you want to lend/donate/sell. :)

Hmmmm indeed a great series. Re-reading it, on third book. This one is not for light readers, vastly detailed and great world and large character space tend to turn some people away but believe me, if you reach book five, you are really hooked. I have all the books in the series. I will lend you. PM me.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
gonna type out some text that appealed to me

Those same cynics regarded the whole of the Virtual Network - cyberspace, the metaverse, or whatever you like to call it - to be scarcely more real than a dream. They thought of the Network's multilevel grid of broad avenues and narrow streets, its geometric constructs and public spaces, as nothing more than the computer generated images filling the visor screens they had strapped arounbd their heads to eclipse their view of the real world. A tool to be used like Stock Watch, or disposable entertainment like satellite TV.
But to Tech the Network was more than that. It was a brave new world, crammed with awesome vehicles, fantastic sights, and endless opportunities. It was an environment more gripping than the real world, governed by its own rules and requirements, and demanding dexterity, cleverness, and skill on the part of all those who took it seriously.

Web Warriors : Memories End by James Luceno

Krow

Crowman
Finished Wheel of Time book 4. Gripping story, but a little repetitive now. Some characters always do the same things, no such thing as changing habits, eh?

DDIF

Custom User Title
Finished Wheel of Time book 4. Gripping story, but a little repetitive now. Some characters always do the same things, no such thing as changing habits, eh?

But this indeed is gripping, I told you that there are sometimes when you feel bored, like Rand cutting the links always. But this is a good enough read, I myself am at fifth book, going twice through the series.

Top Bottom