Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Currently reading short stories of Munshi Premchand. Excellent simple stories give an unbiased insight into life.

Flash

Lost in speed
Currently reading the historical fiction - "Buddha - A story of enlightment".
Its a fictional story combined with History and teachings of Buddha.

Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment - Deepak Chopra - Google Books

*www.deepakchopra.com/images/book/136x211/3c494a2a2402ec0d31351c6f35314df2_54.jpg

You don't have to be a follower of Buddha or an athiest to read this novel.
Just think 'Siddhartha' as a prince who lived in a kingdom and the story will drag you to the end. :D

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
The black star Passes, the Coming race, Droozle, Sigurd, Time mirror, well at worlds end
droozle is must
free ebooks

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The Devotion of Suspect X
*alchemistpoonam.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/the-devotion-of-suspect-x.jpg

Finished the book in two days straight. This book has taken the whole world by storm and I had to see what all this fuss is about. At first it started with known territory and then it gave me something new. Logic and puzzle.

A satisfying read. A very good thriller (or a better love story :p ) after a long time. Highly recommended.

That reminds me :

The Millennium series by Stieg Larsson.
Millennium series by Stieg Larsson

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
To Be Honest, I liked "What Young India Wants" by Chetan Bhagat. Although He's just collected and put in his columns, There's sense in every thing that he has put in there and it does not look like a mere collection of Columns. With every passing line I was Like, "Yeah. Exactly."

I have never been a Chetan Bhagat fan but this book is different. You'll have to shed all your prejudice about him before reading it. This is the book that every Indian should read. You'll understand after you've read it. Highly recommended.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I think its time for me to putdown my Xbox Controller and pickup some books. time for me to take history lessons again :)

Please recommend books on Great Indian Scientists and Engineers ,Indian Mathematicians - Eg Srinivasa Ramanujan , Aryabhata

also please give online store link if possible. :)

Please recommend books on Great Indian Scientists and Engineers ,Indian Mathematicians - Eg Srinivasa Ramanujan , Aryabhata

Anyone!!!

mastervk

In the zone
I think its time for me to putdown my Xbox Controller and pickup some books. time for me to take history lessons again :)

also please give online store link if possible. :)

Anyone!!!

You want to read fiction or non fiction...i have not read any famous book about Indian scientists (apart from APJ Kalam's book) but for modern Indian history "India after Gandhi" is good..

Currently reading: Xenocide by Orson Scott Card

So far, very very very disappointed with the book. Ender's Game was amazing for the battles. Speaker for the Dead had great philosophy. Xenocide just endlessly drags on. I'm skipping lots of pages just to avoid the crap written. One character follows some weird religion where the moment she thinks some "unclean" thoughts, she has to "purify" herself by tracing lines on the floor. She washes her hands till they are sore. I didn't buy the book to read about OCD and some self-righteous priest converting aliens to Christianity.

The base plot is good. Two alien races and humans are on one planet, which has been terraformed by a virus. One of the races needs the virus to survive, and humans need to find a way to kill it to survive. If any of them leaves the planet, they may kill all of humanity by transferring the virus.

But the amount of pages dedicated to silly OCD and religious ramble is just painful. This book should have been edited down to 200 pages or less and merged with Children of the Mind.

I have read only ender's game and speaker for dead and liked speaker for dead better..have you read other books in ender game series like ender's shadow..how are they ?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman

*encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk3_vy-j6mEXHv__xymhK9PYnBPuE6YS4vWZJvmAJ3-3muAlEg

There are few authors who try the impossible. Tell a tale from the voice of a kid. Stephen Kelman tries the same with 'Pigeon English' but not a satisfying read though. The last few pages justifies the 264 page read but prior to that its something similar to a diary.

The story writing is also not consistent. Few chapters are independent then few chapters are introduced with wisdom words on the voice of the Protagonist's (Harrison) pigeon. He tried to tell the hard talks taking the pigeon as a medium which is also not consistent.

I guess I won't be able to forget "Mark Haddon's" work "The Curious Incident of the dog in the Night-Time" to admire other such works.

webgeek

Right off the assembly line
Re: Novels recommended by Digitians

1.All books of stephen king especially The mist, mysery.
2.I Robot by Isaac Asimov
3.All books of Robert Ludlum

tkin

Back to school!!
The books that I just finished reading last week:
*photo.goodreads.com/books/1317068009l/10872085.jpg

*www.google.co.in/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=*photo.goodreads.com/books/1347452456l/12160906.jpg&sa=X&ei=MEhrUMKBK47JrQfJr4DABg&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFjUT4x5CcatfM2eGq94BKE9_e4Gg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Reading Now:
*www.google.co.in/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=*lh3.googleusercontent.com/-f0yN9C3-H2s/TYP7jjuBOqI/AAAAAAAABjM/azr3KHfZL2U/Along+Came+a+Spider.jpg&sa=X&ei=WUdrUIilDoHxrQfa7YH4Aw&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFb925cIkTo1WzbwbI_IHDh2ZBgkw

Flash

Lost in speed
*images.bookworld.com.au/images/bau/97814090/9781409028987/0/0/plain/reality-is-broken.jpg

I was seriously attracted to this book and currently reading!
Well, the cover itself conveys what this book is upto!

If you're a Gamer, you will find yourself enjoying the things that the author is referring to
If you're not, you still can enjoy what Gamers are experiencing!

I even created a thread with a fact that the author posted here.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/gamerz/163972-how-much-time-you-spending-games-per-week.html

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^hmm, most of the book is actually about religion, and not god per se, there is even a chapter on morality ;)
but still, both sides of the story are presented

hey guys some of you were attracted to Immortals of Meluha and The Secret of the Nagas, you should totally read this book instead:
half the book is just illustrations, but with labels showing clearly what each bit means. really liked the last chapter where instead of "Shiva the Destroyer", there is new interpretation as "Shiva the Deconstructionist" ... kickass perspective
*i.imgur.com/JMwnW.jpg
and don't worry there not a single paragraph of preaching, not even a bit religious, focuses on uncovering the iconography and the symbolism

Top Bottom