Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

mastervk

In the zone
Anyone read 'A Name of the Wind' and 'A Wise Man's Fear' books by Patrick Roufuss?Its superb,I liked it very much.Any suggestions similar to those?

I have read "A name of the wind".It is very famous in Fantasy word but i didnt liked it as much."Game of throne" series is one of the best fantasy series with realism."The black company " is good too.

Guys do you recommend reading "song of ice and fire" series after watching the T.v series ??
yes.There is much more detailed story and you will enjoy the novels more.

Nowadays reading "Dresden files" by Jim Butcher and Abhorsen series.
Finished some novels by Peter F Hamilton and Hunger Games book 1
Next in line
Malazan series :book 2
Perdido Street Station by China Miéville
Blackout/All Clear by Connie Willis
Foucault Pendulum and Name of Rose

Now reading 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' by Robert T. Kiyosaki. Next up is 'Sphere' by Michael Crichton.
I have read this book and even though i liked it, the best books about money/investment is some Warren Buffet books and Charlie almanac.
I have read some articles that the story in RDPD series is not true (though it should not matter).

Theodre

In the zone
Guys can anyone recommend a original life story of a detective like of a CIA agent stuff!! Something that can be considered a biography or anything like bourne identity will also do. :)

And also the best online site for books :) Thanks..

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Foucault Pendulum
This is the only book I've "tried" to read of Umberto Eco.

Believe me, I could not figure out head or tail of it, even though I've read 50 pages of it.

Give me some input on it. Should I continue? He's a famous author but not my cup of tea it seems.

mastervk

In the zone
This is the only book I've "tried" to read of Umberto Eco.

Believe me, I could not figure out head or tail of it, even though I've read 50 pages of it.

Give me some input on it. Should I continue? He's a famous author but not my cup of tea it seems.

I have gone through only 10 pages of Foucault pendulum . Will pick it up again later.I came across Umberto Eco while reading "My name is read" by Orhan Pamuk.

Eco was philosopher so his writing style is different..There are many esoteric references in the book.You might skip this one.

The Illuminatus! Trilogy is another famous book in conspiracy theory/esoteric field.I started reading this one too but left in the middle of book.

Krow

Crowman
Finished Neuromancer. This is the first book I did not understand before reading the plot on Wikipedia.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Broken by Karin Slaughter
*images.amazon.com/images/P/0385341970.01.LZZZZZZZ.JPG

Broken (Will Trent, #4) by Karin Slaughter - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I don't know what to say about this book. Did I enjoy reading it? Not much. When bought, I read first 3 chapters and found utter boring. Then after a gap of one month started reading again. This time finished it. This time, I even found myself reading this book waking up @6.30Am in the morning, took to office to read at break (its a heavy book to take to office!)

Is it that addictive? I don't think so. Good read though. After completing 9 chapters it actually picks up speed.

But, the total writing approach is laid back. Whole story is from the point of view of the investigator. You only get to know if he comes to know. The author slowly unwrapped the story but if I evaluate the actual plot then its nothing amazing or shocking.

Only thing you get from this book is how to tell a story without giving much away about the plot till the very end!

Now reading, "Bharotjora Kathonkatha" i.e. a collection of folktales from all languages of India. Its in bengali and google does not know about this.

gulati.ishank

Broken In
Finished Only time will tell and The Sins of the Father by Jeffrey Archer.
Loved both of them but the first one is better.

Last edited:

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Finished 'Sphere' by Michael Chrichton. Was engrossing. But it's little far-fetched and has some loose ends. Short One. Finished it in few hours. Overall, it's good.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
reading the millienium trilogy by stieg larsson

brilliant books. on the 3rd one now. 2nd one is better than 1st.

Krow

Crowman
Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End is another of his better works. I had lost faith in his writing after reading 2061: Odyssey 3, 3001: Final Odyssey and Rama II.

This book made me realise that Clarke lost it in his later years. He was a fantastic science fiction writer for a long time.

Top Bottom