Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Re: Must Read Books/Novels -Recommended by Digitians

yo pathiks u r right.....me an engg student also...now working for arnd 3 yrs....engg nostalgia :) those days were awesome....

Pathik

Google Bot

hehe.. I just entered 2nd year now.. And i loved it absolutely..

xbonez

NP : Crysis

yeah 5PS is waaaaaaaayyy better than one night@call centre. anyways, read inheritance trilogy, Angels and Demons

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental

Robert Ludlum epecially the Bourne Series FTW.
The Covert One series has been has been desecrated by Ghost writers, though it still much better than anything churned out by the likes of Dan Brown.
Michael Crichton's Prey is entertaining, though stay away from his other recent forays, better grab his two decades old. timeline, the novel is better than the disappointing movie made out of it (which shows why we need Spielberg) A Case of Need (his first novel). It is more mature than those he wrote after years of writing.
Truthfully, i could never finish a Rushdie. But if you really wanna brush up your vocab, get yourself one of his and one of Vikram Seth's.
Avoid Sidney Sheldon like the medieval black death, and not just the stray bubonic plague, unless you like B-grade flicks.

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit

PET SEMETARY by STEPHEN KING...must read ...movie is crap compared to novel :x

Freshcider

Broken In

esumitkumar said:
PET SEMETARY by STEPHEN KING...must read ...movie is crap compared to novel :x

My favourite book too. Also The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Adams Douglas

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

Guys after reading 5 point some 1 i thought chetan bhagat's other novel namely a night at the call center would be as good but my friend it isnt and recommended Angels & Demons by Dan Brown ....and i got it ... its for the 1s who like serious hollywood movies like the da vinci code and other such highlky engrossing stuff ... believe me u guys read 50 pages of it and u will be like OMFG and if u arent dont go further ... i havnt finished it yet but the book is just toooooooooo freaking good

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

^^infact all books by Dan brown(4 in all) are like that but I personally think Angels and Demons is his best work so far.Waiting for his next book(some freemasonry stuff).

I also recommend Digital Fortress by Dan Brown if you liked Angels & Demons so much.

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *

pathiks said:
Post here the books/novels and the respective author that u have read recently and found good..also rate them out of 5.. :)
for starters , i wd recommend
1. Five point someone
2. One night @ the call center
both by chetan bhagat
Awesome books.. Wd give them both a 4/5..

Perfect books...
My GF's friend (and my best friend) gave me these two. Amazing Books.

A recommendation : If you like these two you gonna like "Anything for you , ma'am : An IITian's Love Story " too. Its a book by an IITian Tushar Raheja.
Price : Rs. 100.
(Offtopic : My personal experience says Girls know better about books. )

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!

Godfather ..excellent novel.....
Sidney Sheldon's early novel (If tomorrow comes, Other Side Of Midnight,Master of the Game, Sands of time, Rage of angels) ....avoid his later novels(except Tell Me Your Dreams), which are quite mediocre.
The Bourne Trilogy By Robert Ludlum
Any of Dan Brown's last 3 books(Avoid the Awful Digital Fortress)

Erich Seigal's Love Story , The Class , Doctors
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Agata Christie's Murder At Orient Express, And Then There were none (A bone-chilling novel)
Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time(Illustrated Version), Black Holes and Baby Universe
Paulo Coelho- Alchemist, Like A Flowing River, Eleven Minutes
H.G.Wells - Time Machine
all these are amazing books

Can someone tell me if Lords of the Rings is worth reading?On of my avid reader friend told me that its quite boring.Can anyone clarify it? Also , is it neccesary to read Hobbit before it????? I always put down the book , by looking at its size and small fonts.

Last edited:

xbonez

NP : Crysis

^^LOTR is definitely worth reading. i've read the entire trilogy twice. the movies are relly gud but the books are much better. and no, it isn't necessary to read the hobbit b4 reading LOTR. i myslef read the hobbit after reading the trilogy

The entire English speaking world is divided in two parts - those who have read The Lord of the Rings and those who are going to read it

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"

Star Wars - The New Jedi Order Series - Traitor
Star Wars - Legacy of the Force - Exile
Star Wars - Legacy of the Force - Sacrifice

My Favorites!

Phreezer

Broken In

Books by Ruskin Bond. They're just so awe-inspiring. The spectacular simplicity & beauty of his words just touches a chord somewhere, brings you closer to nature & your surroundings. Those minute details he notices, truly a writer who makes you experience India (particularly the hills) in all its glory.

Pathik

Google Bot

Guys how s Deception Point???
I m thinkin to get the whole dan brown series...
EDIT: Well looking at the plots of the book i think Deception Point and Digital Fortress shd be more interesting than Angels and Demons...

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

get it(the dan brown series).My sequence in order of preference:
1.Angels and Demons
2.The Da Vinci Code
3.Digital fortress
4.Deception Point

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death

What's with everyone recommending Chetan Bhagat's load-of-crap? Whatever happened to the books of classic literary giants like Thomas Hardy, Emily Bronte, Alexander Dumas, James Joyce, D H Lawrence, Virginia Woolf, Nabokov, Jane Austen, George Orwell or even N C Chaudhuri?

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!

pathiks said:
EDIT: Well looking at the plots of the book i think Deception Point and Digital Fortress shd be more interesting than Angels and Demons...

Deception point is very very good. Great political drama with the NASA spice.
Angels & Demons is the best Dan Brown work, mezmerizing. However, his debut, Digital Fortress is a dated and childish novel. Avoid it.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!

pathiks said:

man dont read deception point .. it will make u sleep//.

i threw the book when i was 75% thru it ..

have any one read lord of the rings ..??? man the book is worth a million...

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!

Yamaraj said:
What's with everyone recommending Chetan Bhagat's load-of-crap?
I wa about to say that. Both of his novels are childish.

Top Bottom