Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@abhidev pick up a collection of short stories you like those are great to read on transit, and give stories by diff authors

Short story collection by Jeffrey Archer...I recommend

A quiver full of arrows
To cut a long story short
Cat of nine tales
A twist in the tale
Twelve Red Herrings

And,
"The Thirteen Problems" by Agatha Christie

My (to be) next book :)

Flipkart.com: Miss Marple And Mystery: The Complete Short Stories: Book: Agatha Christie (9780007284184)

reddead

LoSt!
borrowed "Immortals of meluha" from my friend... lets see how it goes
BTW Jaipur literature festival kicking off from tomorrow,exited :)

pratzgh1

Broken In
@Krow

I have heard a lot about chetan bhagat. Is his writing humorous and fun like the one's i have mentioned?

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Guys,

Hi. I'm new to the forums and wish to be guided with the name of books that i can read in the leisure time that i get while traveling to and from work (well, that almost 2-2.5 hours either way :neutral:)

Also, i have recently started reading and as i wanted to, my parents asked me to read something lying at home (they are true non-fiction lovers), so i got hold of "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus", read it, and dint quite relate to it. (yes, although i did get a few tips on understanding my GF, results - well....:wink:)

Anyways, so that made me realise i dont quite like non-fiction. Also somehow i relate more to the Indian Author than the foriegn one's.

So, i randomly searched and have read "trust Me- Rajashree" and "Those small lil things - Rahul Saini(correct me if i'm wrong, i'm very bad at name recall)". And i really loved the writing and the way it was spoken through words.

So guys could you please suggest some books within the same genre and feel, preferably Indian Authors (i relate to them nice and easy).

I would love a few choices so that i can choose what suits me best.

(Boy, i wrote so much - I could end up writing a book myself - Yeah but it would be not bigger than 'who moved my cheese' :)) )

Try Durjoy Datta if you've read Chetan Bhagat. I've read one of his books, "Now that you're rich.. let's fall in love." Kind of good!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
uh... these CB kind of Indian fiction is a dime a dozen, love@facebook types, its not that much better than self help books really, pretty jeuvenile, they get tend to get over somewhere in the middle
White Tiger, Kite Runner, Delhi is not Far, Shantaram... some titles might wan check out

abhidev

Human Spambot
Short story collection by Jeffrey Archer...I recommend

A quiver full of arrows
To cut a long story short
Cat of nine tales
A twist in the tale
Twelve Red Herrings

And,
"The Thirteen Problems" by Agatha Christie

My (to be) next book :)

Flipkart.com: Miss Marple And Mystery: The Complete Short Stories: Book: Agatha Christie (9780007284184)

thanx for the recommendation buddy...well I think there use to be show on DD metro in the early days....don't recollect the name but its Agatha christie's tales or something(Detective show)..Will try it out for sure. :)

pratzgh1

Broken In
@ KDroid

Thanks for the suggestion, me to looking forward to reading his books. As of now, picked up "Oh ****, Not Again" - Mandar Kokate

Will definitely give Chetan Bhagat and Durjoy Datta a try. :)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^Please don't read that book. Its the worst book I've ever read. Its the "Beerfest" of books, its "Date movie" of novels.

I hate myself for buying and reading half of this book. Full of cheap jokes, forced scenarios for comedy and sex and the writing is like of a humbug.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Completed reading At the Mountains of Madness. Don't know how to rate it. Felt a bit dragged.

pratzgh1

Broken In
^Please don't read that book. Its the worst book I've ever read. Its the "Beerfest" of books, its "Date movie" of novels.

I hate myself for buying and reading half of this book. Full of cheap jokes, forced scenarios for comedy and sex and the writing is like of a humbug.

Well, in that case could you please let me know which books are good, humour filled, light hearted and addictive till the end. Call me cheap but i m liking this bullcrap.

Ps: One thing that annoys me is the not-so-good ending to these books. i love good ends. ;)

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
"The Last man Tower" from Aravind Adiga makes for a practical read.Still previous White Tiger was better.

About about Guys heading for Chetan Bhagat Way.This guy is sure to kill any appetite you have left for good literature.How people go through this thrash is beyond me.Its not even Literature. :(

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
Congo
Digital Fortress
Deception Point
The Godfather

Best books i have read so far.

CB's 5 point someone,2 States n 1 9t at call center wil be good. Read Rev 2020. BOREDDD.

Right now reading Trevayne.

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Congo
Digital Fortress
Deception Point
The Godfather

Best books i have read so far.

CB's 5 point someone,2 States n 1 9t at call center wil be good. Read Rev 2020. BOREDDD.

Right now reading Trevayne.

I didn't like Deception Point. Very Predictable Story. However, worth a shot!

Digital Fortress is Awesome! Loved it!

Angels & Demons is also awesome! I didn't like the movie as much as I liked the book. Give it a shot, if you haven't!

Currently Reading The Lost Symbol! Hopefully, will finish it tonight. Gripping as hell! :D

Do you guys read books or e-books?

e-books :D

Top Bottom