blue screen of death . now cant install windows 7

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
yesterday i started my pc and to my surprise while booting windows showed me the blue screen error and then restarted again to take to startup repair screen which showed the error boot configuration corrupt . i was able to boot in safe mode from where i backed up my files on othere drives and decided to reinstall windows . i formated c drive while installation and performed a clean install . everything went well until installation asked for a restart . pc restarted and on the setup page where it says setup is starting services i got another blue screen error and installation stopped and cant go any further . whenever i start pc it comes to a page where it says windows shutdown unexpectedly and needs to reinstall . i have tried reinstalling 5 times but same thing each time . even though i format the drive before installation but the boot menu now shows 6 different windows 7 option . tried installing on different drive but no use . tried fiddling with bootrec in command prompt in windows repair but no use . please help . i am writting this on my cell so sorry for any typo .

clmlbx

Technomancer
BSod mostly occurs because of Hardware fault not because of Software.. have you installed any new hardware.. you need to check hardware one by one.. get hiren boot cd ASAP.

boot from that CD and do memtest for start..It will check ram for any errors. If nothing found then continue with Hard-disk.. post that results here then we will discuss furthure if nothing found

OP
rohan_mhtr

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
only new hardware that i installed was a usb gaming device which worked well for few days . i also ran windows memmory diagnostic tool which gained no errors . i will check all hardware one by one tonight .

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^

1. check the HDD using HDD manufacturers disk diagnostic tool
2. Remove the gfx card or any other expansion card you have and try using mobos IGP
3. Check mem modules with mem test app
4. Check for any loose connection inside of the cabby like HDD/ODD data/power cable and check if all the connectors from PSU are fitted well with the mobo and other peripherals.
5. Use only the keyboard and only the HDD where you have installed witndows.
disconnect all other external devices - post feedback.

OP
rohan_mhtr

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Ok done some troubleshooting today and here is the observation .

I had 2 ram sticks 2 gb ddr 2 800mhz each . Pc gives Bsod with both sticks inserted . Checked separately and found one ram stick as the culprit .
Another strange problem
now pc is booting with one stick and one HDD ( I have 2 HDD's ) . On this first HDD i have 2 partitions and installed windows 7 successfully and it boots . When both the HDD's are connected during bootup there appears the option to select from 5 different windows 7 installations and offcourse none work but the truth is that i never installed windows on the second 1 tb HDD ! It has 4 partitions filled with data . So has the HDD also failed . But i have a usb to sata connecter . So booting the pc with first hdd and using connecter for second hdd i used it as external usb drive and surprisingly all my 4 partitions are shown and they seem healthy .
Can i use any HDD checking software to check the second hdd as a usb drive .

PS: this is not a good time to get a new HDD since due to floods in eastern world HDD prices are sky high also i dont want to loose my data worth 1 tb of rare and favourite movies and tv seasons .

Sujeet

Undead!!!
If You are sure that you have never installed windows 7 even once on 2nd HDD then the extra windows 7 entries in bootmenu are for sure from 1st HDD and you should consider the following to get the entries removed without affecting your 2nd HDD data:
1.In case there are any non-working installation of windows 7 then remove them manually by deleting in USB mode (since windows wont allow you to delete system folders like "windows,program files,etc" even if it belongs to another os in SATA mode!!)
2.Now install EasyBCD:Download EasyBCD 2.1.2 - NeoSmart Technologies
3.Open EasyBCD and you will be greeted with a list of all your windows and other os entries on your drive
4.The top entry will be your default windows 7 Active Entry followed by #entry<no>
5.Click Edit Boot menu Button And you will see list of all your entries for editing.
The entry with a tick on default column(usually the top one) will be the one in which you are currently booted .Rename it to something so that while deleting other entries you dont hit the wrong one
6.Now the method is straight forward simply select the all your useless entries of window s7 and delete them.

Last edited:

clmlbx

Technomancer
yes just remove those entries.those entries were made when you tried to install windows and every time it restarted..
Get HD Tune and check your Hard-disk

OP
rohan_mhtr

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
If You are sur
e that you have never installed windows 7 even once on 2nd HDD then the extra windows 7 entries in bootmenu are for sure from 1st HDD and you should consider the following to get the entries removed without affecting your 2nd HDD data:

Yes but if i only connect the second hdd and try to boot then still i am able to see those windows options in boot menu . how i is that possible . and offcourse it doesnt work , if i select any OS it just gives bootmgr missing error since i have never installed any os on hdd 2 .
i will try hd tune tonight but will detect my hdd if i am using it as an external hdd via usb to sata connecter ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
hdtune should detect any hard disk as long as it is connected through usb port.

edit:in your sig you mentioned using CM extreme power series so i think you should read this:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html

Last edited:

Sujeet

Undead!!!
The problem of misplaced boot entries on your 2nd HDD seems to have been originated from your veture with bootrec.exe and its commands(fixmbr,fixboot,rebuildbcd),most probaly you have tried to unknowingly write Master Boot Record And Boot Sector on your 2nd HDD.
Since Windows DOS handles disk sytem quite differently (tems like volumes ,disk,partitions-logical,fixed ,etc could be quite confusing).so you might have mistaken your sytem partition to be on your 2nd HDD and have written bcd/mbr to it..did you use diskpart commands-"list disk/list partition & list volume" to identitfy which partition you were actually trying to fix!!!
Quite Sure That this is the cause of your problem & YES HD tune is really EFFICIENT tool for HDD!!give it a try.

OP
rohan_mhtr

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
did you use diskpart commands-"list disk/list partition & list volume" to identitfy which partition you were actually trying to fix!!!

Yes infact i did fiddle with different commands . I will try HDtune tomorrow and post the result . Right now i am able to use the second drive only externally via usb . When i connect bot HDD's internally the bootmgr missing error pops out and i am not able to boot . I think the boot options are all messed up .

And BTW whitestar_999 I dont use that PSU anymore , its been a long i updated my sig !

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the reason of bootmgr missing error could be when you connect the 2nd HDD on the mobo ( depends on which sata port ) the bios just set it as the primary HDD - f\after connecting the 2nd HDD make sure that the win 7 OS drive is set as the primary boot HDD in bios options.

You can also have a look at these links as well :

How To Fix the BOOTMGR is Missing Error in Windows 7 and Vista
How to fix "BOOTMGR is missing" in Windows Vista

Sujeet

Undead!!!
yes topgear said it right ...you are unable to boot in with 2nd HDD connected ...may be becoz your 2nd HDD is acting like primary HDD...BIOS should see you througg ..still such an auto-swapping of primary hdd is very unusual since you said that you have never used your 1st HDD

OP
rohan_mhtr

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Completed troubleshooting and problem is solved . Thanx everyone .
Although disappointed with the blown ram stick . Surprisingly memtest and windows memmory diagnostics showed no error with it . But PC just wont boot to OS . I can enter bios with that ram but not to OS . Will have to check with linux later . Checked that ram on different pc and same issue , blue screen while booting to OS .
My issue was i tried installing Windows 7 without removing the faulty ram and everytime when the installation was complete and while loading for the first time setup was interupted by blue screen error .
Without knowing a RAM issue i tried fiddling with my HDD's and bootrec.exe and diskpart and more issues began . Anyway all is well now and i am 2gb less .
Thanks SUJEET the software you provided was better then the usual modifying the BOOT.ini file which can mess up .
Worked on the 2nd HDD via USB and now that everything is fine i have connected it again internally and it is working allright . HDtune shows both disks are in OK health condition . Even then i had my heart sunk to the idea of loosing 1tb of data , lesson learnt and will buy a backup HDD as soon as the prices fall .

PS: Does anyone know how much warranty does kingston provide on their RAMs .

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
nice to know your issue is solved now and about Knigston warranty have a look at this ;-)

Warranty | Kingston

Top Bottom